Braz Congress approves measure to lower tax on overseas travel

Greetings:

This is a translation of an  article from Folha de SP and if you're not a subscriber it's hit or miss if you'll be able to read any of it.

At any rate, my question relates to any Brazil taxes incurred for travel expenses abroad ( overseas from Brazil).

My questions:

• Has anyone booked an overseas flight or hotel stay directly or indirectly through a travel agent, where you book it locally and pay in BR$?
  • If so, did you pay any tax on top of your flight/hotel expenses (to any Brazilian authority).

• I would imagine if you do it in US$ that's none of Brazil's business so there is no tax risk.

• I'd very much appreciate anyone's input.
  • Thanks

I haven't paid much attention to this but I will start checking the cost using a VPN and see if there is a significant difference.   Interesting. 

My husband and I both have LATAM accounts.   Mine was created in the USA, his in Brasil.   When we look to book rewards travel with points, there is a huge difference in the cost of points.  Example one way to NYC on my account is only 50,000 points, on his, its 120,000.    We earn some points the same way.   Somehow, mine are worth much more.   Maybe this has to do with the tax you are talking about.   

Thanks