Software Engineer looking for work in Brazil

Hi Expats,

I will be moving to Brazil soon. First I will be staying in Americana, Sao Paulo. I know there is no much job offers over there and probably will need to move somewhere else unless I find a remote job.

Do you have any suggestion regarding job search engines, companies, recruiting agencies for software engineering jobs?

Here a short description of my work experience:

I work mainly in backend applications, using C++ and Python. Linux and Windows

+10 years of experience

Experience working in finance

Speak English, Spanish and some Portuguese

@martinsan You should have no problem.

When I lived in the US, I worked part-time for Cambly, the online English tutor company. One of my clients was a software engineer in Sao Paulo wanting to learn English, who still remains one of my hero's.

He said that there was a time when Apple entered the Brazilian App Market. They wanted to get more I Phone customers and felt that Brazilian Apps would be a good way to attract people.  They PAID him and other software engineers to learn IOS development and create Brazilian Apps for this market.

Needless to say, he does not have to go thru the drive-thru for a good meal nowadays.  Any way there is much opportunity there, he did this remotely from his luxury apartment in Sao Paulo.

Good Luck

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@martinsan Hey, sent you a DM.

@martinsan hey have you ever considered working on crypto Defi projects?

Solidity smart contract language for ethereum (ETH), AVAX and other ETH type blockchains is pretty easy to learn. It's a mix of javascript and Python.

PACT for Kadena is pretty easy and readable as well. It's like LISP

Move smart contract language for APTOS is good too

Brazilian pay rate is not nearly as good as you might have in the US, ireland, UK.  Get an overseas gig.

02/13/23 @martinsan.  Given your relocation plans -- the interior of São Paulo State -- remote work is probably your best bet, and I wish you a lot of luck in finding it.

Unless your skill set includes some difficult to obtain skills that are much sought-after in Brazil, which an IT recruiter should be able to identify for you very quickly, away from Foz do Iguaçu and other cities in the immediate frontier area where there are some bilingual businesses your job search will probably be challenging.  Brazil becomes a monolingual Portuguese-speaking country within 100-200 km of the border, long before you get to Americana. 

One thing that you have going for you is that as a Mercosul citizen, you have a more liberal immigration regime than most other foreigners.  If you use remote work to support yourself while you make a concerted effort to upgrade your Portuguese skills, your next search for Brazil-based employment will probably be easier.

Just going to post here as well, since I DM'd him, but I agree with everyone, remote is the way or in my case, I am able to offer roles to people, that are qualified, to work for a UK based company in Fintech. I've lived and worked in Brazil for almost 5 years now and I can say, the going rates in Brazil are sad at times, but I have met a handful of people getting "decent" money for a similar role. If you don't speak Portuguese fluently, I think it's an impossible task to achieve the "decent" money here, so remote/foreign companies are your best bet.

As my work involves hiring, I've noticed that since the pandemic, remote work for foreign companies has exploded. Before I'd have little trouble finding people but now there are a lot of US and Portuguese companies hiring too.

Keep your eyes open for those types of roles but just temper your expectations on salary as they are mostly looking to Brazil for "cheap" labour but expect the same level of work as they'd want in their home countries.

Sounds like applying for companies based in Europe that offer full remote is the way to go for me. Many of the job adverts mentions specific locations from where you can work, and couldn't find many that allow from Brazil. I will keep searching and let you know how it goes!

Hi Expats,
I will be moving to Brazil soon. First I will be staying in Americana, Sao Paulo. I know there is no much job offers over there and probably will need to move somewhere else unless I find a remote job.
Do you have any suggestion regarding job search engines, companies, recruiting agencies for software engineering jobs?

Here a short description of my work experience:
I work mainly in backend applications, using C++ and Python. Linux and Windows
+10 years of experience
Experience working in finance
Speak English, Spanish and some Portuguese
-@martinsan

They don't have decent portals here.  Catho is what it is and they charge a fee for placement or for portal membership.

Besides, most computer jocks here work under a services contract.  The pay rate for salaried personnel is awful, so contract self employed work is far more lucrative.

I would secure a contract with an American firm, do the overseas job thing, and save on living expenses. 

Eventually you can open your firm and bid on contracts with the Government.  Every cloud base piece of system in Brazil is full of flaws.