Getting Work permit in Brazil

I am a software engineer having 5.5 years of experience in the IT field. My wife has a work permit and is employed in Brazil. I have dependent Visa, can I work there on a dependent Visa or can I get a job there and later can the employer get a work permit.
How easy it is to get a job there.

Thanks & Regards,
Dilip Shaw

Hi Dilip,

I have been looking at Decreto No. 86715 which is the law governing visas in Brazil and I can't find anything specific in the body of the text which would refer to your situation.

There are a couple of issues here, the first being transformation of the Dependent Visa into a Temporary Work Visa, the second being obtaining a work permit (Carteira de Trabalho).

As far as the visa issue I don't see any reason that you should be prevented from transforming the visa type if you have a concrete job offer. It is obvious that there must be some way to do this. I would actually think that the prospective employer would even be the one to help you with the details there. Generally they have an agent (Despachante) who they contract to look after visas. You could find out more by contacting the Consulado-Geral do Brasil that actually issued your visa.

I don't believe that holder of a Dependent Visa would qualify to obtain a work permit in that as a working person you no longer fall under the definition of 'dependent'. I think that the work permit hinges completely on being able to transform your visa. Having said that, if you are already in Brasil it might even be worth your while to go to the Ministério de Trabalho and ask if they can give you any information about how to go about transforming your visa and getting a work permit.

As far as finding work goes, since as a software engineer you shouldn't have too much trouble finding work. I understand that at least for those in STEM fields it is fairly easy.
(science/technology/engineering/math) 

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Thank you very much William James. Would like contact ypu once I am in Brazil.
May I know which place in Brazil you belong to?
Thanks again for the info!!

Cheers,
Dilip

Hi William,

Another query, do u have any idea on economical accomodation(preferably on sharing basis), at a place closer to Alphaville - Barueri..
Also please let me know if there is any place where we can find Indians.

Thanks in advance,
Dilip

Hi Dilip,

Shared accommodations is something that is not commonly seen here in Brazil except among expats and college students. You will not likely find anything in Alphaville which is mostly commercial.

Your best bet would be to place an ad for shared accommodations here in the classified section dedicated to housing which you will find on the left side of the page.

I live in Macaé - RJ now, but lived in São Paulo for a number of years.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team