The cost of Living in Spain in 2023

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience on the evolution of the cost of living in the region or city where you live in order to answer future requests for information from new members of the site who would like to move there soon in Spain.

In terms of accommodation, how much does it cost to rent/buy a flat or house in in Spain?
How much do you pay on average for public transport (bus, metro, train, tram, taxi)?
What is the average price of your monthly food basket?

How much does health insurance cost? How much does it cost to see a doctor in Spain?

What about school fees for your children?

What is the average monthly cost of electricity, gas, water, internet, telephone?

What is the average cost of your leisure activities?

If there are other expenses that you think are useful, please share them!

Thank you in advance for your future contribution

Mickael
Expat.com Team

In terms of accommodation, how much does it cost to rent/buy a flat or house in in Spain?

I pay 700€ a month in rent for a one bedroom apartment near the beach.

How much do you pay on average for public transport (bus, metro, train, tram, taxi)?

Each ride cost 0.66€

I spent around 200€ a month on groceries, including eating out and wine/beer.

How much does health insurance cost? How much does it cost to see a doctor in Spain?

I pay annually 1.600€

What about school fees for your children?

N/A

What is the average monthly cost of electricity, gas, water, internet, telephone?

Together I pay an average of 70€ a month for fiberoptic cable, cell phone, gay, water, and electricity.

Outside of travel, I spend about 25€ a month on local leisure activities.

Live near Malaga on the coast. Spain COL is directly relative to geographic areas. Can live much cheaper away from the coast and cities. COL has gone up quite a bit this last year & long-term rentals are scarcer.

Costs are per month for a couple/no kids:

Long term rental - 2BR/2Bath on beach -- €1.326 (rents have gone up considerably since we leased this condo during pandemic--it is now well below average for being on the water and rent increase  capped at 2% for currently--it would go for around €1.700 now).

Electric -- €90-180 (depending on season & we do use AC in summer & heat in winter)

Water -- €20

Garbage removal - €15

Groceries/wine -- €400 (groceries vary - we spend more in winter than summer due to eating in--it does get cold here)

Bars/Restaurants--€400 (varies - eat out more in warm weather than in winter)

Health Insurance -- €340 for both of us (also spent €3.000 out of pocket for health care not covered by insurance, such as advanced technology tests, etc.)

Internet - €44

Cellphone service - €25

Transportation - €50 (no car--we use public transport, taxis/Uber or walk)

IPTV - €100 per year for US/UK tv. Also pay monthly for 4 streaming channels, which is of course optional.

Most services are very reasonable--legal advice, hair salons, etc. Much less than in the US.

@tomwins

Hi @tomwins,

I'm trying to get some idea of what private Spanish health insurance will cost-- I see you pay $1600 annually.

Can I ask which insurer you're with & whether you're in a high-risk group (age, pre-existing conditions)?

I suspect mine will be more costly due to my age (65) & a few non-chronic but pre-existing conditions--I'm just hoping I'll be able

to find an insurer that I'll be able to afford.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide on this.

Dayna

Here you go - we're happy to help with information:

We're a couple so 2-person household. No kids, no pets. We still work from home, online.

We live in Denia (Alicante Province) and for five years now we rent an atico unit for 1,000€/month. It's 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 floors, with large terraces and sea and mountain views, center of town, 10 minute walk to a beach.

Taxis average 6-10€ around town, around 10€ for tram to Alicante per person one-way, 12€ for bus to Valencia per person one-way. We get around a lot by bicycle and walking and public transport. We have no car and plan to get an EV this year or next.

For groceries we spend up to 200€/month and up to 400€/month (we like to go out to eat a lot and to have people over to cook for.

We no longer have private health insurance since I have dual nationality and the public health care system which my husband has through me as well. We rarely see a doctor.

What about school fees for your children? N/A

Electricity 100€/month, gas 5€/month (we get only tanks for our gas range stove top), water 50€/month, internet & telephone (bundled) 40€/month.

80€/month

I hope that helps! Thanks.

@rdruby699 I have private health with Adeslas. I'm 59 with preexisting stuff. I pay €99 month no copays to medical visits. Not everything is covered like podiatrist or certain specialty's, . Some Private care plans may not cover chemotherapy for cancer either.Check policies.  Private does not cover meds. And also not all meds you get in USA are available here or their generic equivalent. Speak with a pharmacy here if your not sure.

I still get 1 med from the USA, I have friends bring it once a year when they visit.

Healthcare here is not the same either.

If you qualify to get public care most of the cost of your meds would be covered. Most of my Spanish friends here have both. They have private so they can get tests done right away. Under public it can take months to get a simple test done like an ultrasound just fyi. But you can use both together no problem.Unlike usa, where insurance won't let you combine plans. I've seen several docs in different locations for 2 ND opinions and insurance never questioned it nor did I need pre approval.

@Ckinney

Thanks so much for the info. I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea of what I can expect to pay in private Spanish health insurance, since it will likely be one of the highest expenses aside from rent.

@Ckinney

that is pretty inexpensive with pre existing conditions. I think if your over 65 years old the private and public health insurance costs double.

Let's say we both have heart issues. Right now, it's basically just coming in for routine testing every 6 months. Also my husband had a hip replacement, but has no issues from that.

I am wondering what private insurance would cost us if we moved to Spain.

Accommodation = €700 per month, living in Barcelon(et)a

Transport: nothing (viva la bici) excl. repairs and robbery

Food: €100 per month, excl. going out for dinner in bars and restaurants

Health: nothing (viva la salud publica)

Dentist: usually about €50 per year (to clean/control so, excl. exceptions)

School fees children: n/a, but I have my own study debt - at least €10 per month or €30.000 at once

Electricity (€50) water/garbage (€20) wifi at home (€30): €100 per month

Phone: €3 per month (Simyo 100 min. call or 100 sms = no internet)

Other/Leisure: €100 per month for subscriptions, clothing, stuff

I would love to know how to spend less and save more for later and/or travels.

I'm amazed at how little everyone spends on food. Maybe I'm not budgeting well haha. I easily spend 500 on groceries per month for a family of 3 in Sitges, near Barcelona.

My husband and i both have dual citizenships eu and australian. When we move to spain would we be entitled to public health cover re our eucitizenship and passports .also is elche a nice place to livd

Colleen

@colleenaaflynn

What is  " eucitizenship"??

@nienkella hi i am also in barceloneta, paying about 3 times as you for electric, I would love to know who is your supplier? Thx

Closed