The cost of Living in Vietnam in 2023

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience on the evolution of the cost of living in the region or city where you live in order to answer future requests for information from new members of the site who would like to move there soon in Vietnam.

In terms of accommodation, how much does it cost to rent/buy a flat or house in in Vietnam?
How much do you pay on average for public transport (bus, metro, train, tram, taxi)?
What is the average price of your monthly food basket?

How much does health insurance cost? How much does it cost to see a doctor in Vietnam?

What about school fees for your children?

What is the average monthly cost of electricity, gas, water, internet, telephone?

What is the average cost of your leisure activities?

If there are other expenses that you think are useful, please share them!

Thank you in advance for your future contribution

Mickael
Expat.com Team

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience on the evolution of the cost of living in the region or city where you live in order to answer future requests for information from new members of the site who would like to move there soon in Vietnam.

In terms of accommodation, how much does it cost to rent/buy a flat or house in in Vietnam?
How much do you pay on average for public transport (bus, metro, train, tram, taxi)?

How much does health insurance cost? How much does it cost to see a doctor in Vietnam?

What is the average monthly cost of electricity, gas, water, internet, telephone?

Mickael
Expat.com Team

-@Mickael

A quick answer now before I return later to share my specific answers:

In Vietnam (and perhaps most countries) personal situations, locations and lifestyles cause the COL for expats to vary greatly, making it difficult to simply make a list of expenses without considering those unique factors.

Young & Old, Employed and Retired, Married or Single or in a committed relationship, City dweller or Rural resident, Commuter or worker near/in the home, cook at home mostly or dine out frequently;

One person's expenses can be amazingly minimal yet quite adequate for a comfortable lifestyle, while someone else living in the high-rent districts of Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh City will find their COL to be surprisingly high.

I wouldn't be the first person to say that I'm saving more money now since I am married to a Vietnamese woman.

Hello everyone,

I used to live in VN a long time ago and still come back once in while. Let me share a few data points:

• To buy an apartment, in HCMC - probably anywhere from $150K - $2m. Landed house price varies much more.

• My experience is it does not cost too much to pay out of pocket. Many people don't have private health insurance.

• International schools can cost $10k-$50k/year. Public schools cost much less (probably <$2k/year).

• My guess is <$200/month.

Mickael
Expat.com Team

-@Mickael

Hello everyone,

I used to live in VN a long time ago and still come back once in while. Let me share a few data points:

To buy an apartment, in HCMC - probably anywhere from $150K - $2m. Landed house price varies much more.

My experience is it does not cost too much to pay out of pocket. Many people don't have private health insurance.
International schools can cost $10k-$50k/year. Public schools cost much less (probably <$2k/year).

My guess is <$200/month.

Mickael
Expat.com Team

-@Mickael
-@tduke

Actual experience from someone who lives here in Celadon City Tan Phu HCMC

All electric apartment, electric...........800,000vnd max per month for 2 bed 2 shower apartment, AC in 1 bedroom.

drinking water.............250,000 vnd per month

internet & TV................260,000 vnd per month (pay 6 months up front get &1 extra month free)

telephone 4g.................90,000 vnd per month

1,400,000 vnd at exchange 23,300 = 60 usd

Apartment management fee's including security, water (not drinking), gardens & park maintenance, common area maintenance & cleaning, 3 motorbike parking. 1,200,000 vnd at exchange 23,300 = 52usd

Hi Mickael, all.

I had a home in Saigon, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, full livingroom/kitchen, air in both bdrms, and a balcony for both. # years ago- 7,000,000VND mnth(~$300USD)

Then I moved north to T.P.Thai Nguyen. Brand new, beautiful all wooden home, 2 bedrms, air in both bdrms, second floor open concept with large deck, 1/4 acre land with 6' brick wall- 2,500,000VND mnth (~$100USD)

Currently here in Phu Quoc, modern (2017) construction brick open concept home on a very large lot costs me 3,000,000VND mnth(~$130USD)

All of these rental units were totally unfurnished, meaning I had a considerable outlay, right from the get-go. Had to purchase everything from the teaspoons up to the fridge. Everything!

To fill the home with modern furnishings (leather couch/chairs/coffee table, bed and matress, wardrobes, dressers, desks, kitchen table and chairs, mirrors etc etc), the cost was considerable, at ~75,000,000VND (~$3,300USD)

Usually zero, as we ride our motorcycle(s) 365 days, rain or shine. When we feel we might indulge in some tipple, grabcar is always an option, and is seriously cheap! eg. ~20 kilometer trip from my current home to the airport cost 180,000VND (~$8USD). I'll round it out to be ~500,000VND mnth(~$20USD)

We are presently running about 4,500,000VND mnth(~$200USD). It could be done much cheaper, but due to my being a committed meatitarian, the cost is a little higher here. There's always fresh fruit and veggies, delicious breads and pastries on hand too, for when the hankering hits me :). Also, the garden provides us with plenty of (free) fresh fruits, edible flowers, wild greens.

I have no information on these costs. Sorry.

Electricity currently, running 2 air cons/fridge/washing machine/hot water heater in shower is averaging about 500,000VND mnth(~$20USD)

Gas for the propane stove is 100,000VND mnth(~$5USD)

Fresh potable water, delivered 150,000VND mnth(~$6USD)

Internet 250,000 mnth(~$10USD)

Telephone 100,000 mnth(~$5USD)

Whoaaa, nelly! Now we're talking :)

Shopping sprees to the mainland from Phu Quoc Island (now incorporated as Phu Quoc City), hobbies, (ahem) consumables, impulse buys, etc etc vary from day-to-day. Suffice it to say that it is a considerable amount, but all are absolutely optional.

So, without the leisure activities cost, current expenses run me ~9,100,000 mnth, or at current exchange, ~$390USD.

Mind you, without the invaluable assistance of local VN friends, this low cost of living figure would never be possible.

Hope this information is helpful

This is what you are looking for.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … ry=Vietnam

I wouldn't be the first person to say that I'm saving more money now since I am married to a Vietnamese woman.
-@OceanBeach92107

Hear, hear!

-@colinoscapee

Apparently pork is not consumed in VN, or if it is, it is of such an infrequent event that NUMBEO thought not to add it to their list

;)

Hi Mickael, all.

I had a home in Saigon, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, full livingroom/kitchen, air in both bdrms, and a balcony for both. # years ago- 7,000,000VND mnth(~$300USD)
Then I moved north to T.P.Thai Nguyen. Brand new, beautiful all wooden home, 2 bedrms, air in both bdrms, second floor open concept with large deck, 1/4 acre land with 6' brick wall- 2,500,000VND mnth (~$100USD)

Currently here in Phu Quoc, modern (2017) construction brick open concept home on a very large lot costs me 3,000,000VND mnth(~$130USD)

Usually zero, as we ride our motorcycle(s) 365 days, rain or shine. When we feel we might indulge in some tipple, grabcar is always an option, and is seriously cheap! eg. ~20 kilometer trip from my current home to the airport cost 180,000VND (~$8USD). I'll round it out to be ~500,000VND mnth(~$20USD)

We are presently running about 4,500,000VND mnth(~$200USD). It could be done much cheaper, but due to my being a committed meatitarian, the cost is a little higher here. There's always fresh fruit and veggies, delicious breads and pastries on hand too, for when the hankering hits me smile.png. Also, the garden provides us with plenty of (free) fresh fruits, edible flowers, wild greens.

I have no information on these costs. Sorry.

Electricity currently, running 2 air cons/fridge/washing machine/hot water heater in shower is averaging about 500,000VND mnth(~$20USD)
Gas for the propane stove is 100,000VND mnth(~$5USD)
Fresh potable water, delivered 150,000VND mnth(~$6USD)
Internet 250,000 mnth(~$10USD)
Telephone 100,000 mnth(~$5USD)

Whoaaa, nelly! Now we're talking smile.png
Shopping sprees to the mainland from Phu Quoc Island (now incorporated as Phu Quoc City), hobbies, (ahem) consumables, impulse buys, etc etc vary from day-to-day. Suffice it to say that it is a considerable amount, but all are absolutely optional.

So, without the leisure activities cost, current expenses run me ~9,100,000 mnth, or at current exchange, ~$390USD.
Mind you, without the invaluable assistance of local VN friends, this low cost of living figure would never be possible.

Hope this information is helpful
-@Aidan in HCMC

WOW nice one

Hi All,

To add context for newer members please add if the rental fee per month is for "fully furnished" or "empty" seeing that longer term Expats may rent apartments/homes empty and buy their own furniture, which newer members looking to move to Vietnam may only look for "fully furnished" which is a more expensive option.

Here where we live the difference between empty and furnished can be 2-5 mill a month or even more in some Expat areas.

WOW nice one
-@goodolboy

Hey you got any photos of your place?

@goodolboy

I'll take a couple of pics later today and post them.

-@colinoscapee

Apparently pork is not consumed in VN, or if it is, it is of such an infrequent event that NUMBEO thought not to add it to their list
wink.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

Maybe that site is owned by Muslims.

-@colinoscapee

wink.png
-@Aidan in HCMC
-@colinoscapee

or Jews? Hindus? Jaines?

-@colinoscapee

wink.png
-@Aidan in HCMC
-@colinoscapee

or Jews? Hindus? Jaines?
-@Aidan in HCMC

Or pigs, interested in self preservation?

🐷

@goodolboy
I'll take a couple of pics later today and post them.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Got home a little late for pics. Much too dark now, but I'll get a couple in the morning.

A pic of the front of the house. The grass has only been sprayed a couple of days ago, so I didn't want to walk there (that, and the creepy crawlies!)

20230131-130451.jpg

Back of the house, with the beginnings of the new orchid collection. There were, literally, hundreds of orchids left behind/given away when I left Thai Nguyen.

20230131-130231.jpg

Nice work shed built under the water tank support columns.

20230131-130328.jpg

A pic of the front of the house. The grass has only been sprayed a couple of days ago, so I didn't want to walk there (that, and the creepy crawlies!)
20230131-130451.jpg
Back of the house, with the beginnings of the new orchid collection. There were, literally, hundreds of orchids left behind/given away when I left Thai Nguyen.
20230131-130231.jpg

20230131-130328.jpg
-@Aidan in HCMC

Great pics man, house looks good too & all for 3,000,000 a month thats a pretty good deal I would say. Bit of tidy up work with the old strimmer & good as new.

Rental prices in the cities at least rising rapidly. 7tr gets you an 'ok' 1 bed or studio in Da nang, but if you want a nice one bed you're looking at 10tr+ so similar to HCMC.

Phones plans and data still very cheap, i rarely pay over 60k a month for this. Internet and TV around 250k, again very cheap.

Eating out rising especially after Tet. I mostly cook at home but love a good curry. My local spot here put prices up almost 20% after Tet which i thought a bit steep. I asked him why and he said oil prices and Ukraine...

Market prices in DN cheaper than the supermarket-in HCM market was comparable to the supermarket. Rolling the dice with the super pesticide treated Chinese vegetables from the markets though according to my medical colleagues.

Swings and roundabouts, horses for courses.

@colinoscapee with some variations...this link is quite close to reality. An interesting tidbit - my partner is Vietnamese and she can usually buy cheaper than I can. It's a fact of life in Vietnam and I'm ok with it. Vietnam is a bargain for foreigners...so paying a little more than locals is the least we can do. I call it my luxury tax.

@redislandar

Why pay more for something? All prices should be the same for everyone. People like you make it more customary for shops to charge more for foreigners

@cougarcar20 just stating the obvious...it has been a customary part of their street culture for years... You have the choice to haggle and save yourself 5 dong if you like. Guess I'm the "kind of person", as are many of my expat friends, who value the hard work and endless hours that local people spend on the street trying to earn a living. Didn't mean to get your knickers in a knot, mate. Nothing personal.

@cougarcar20 just stating the obvious...it has been a customary part of their street culture for years... You have the choice to haggle and save yourself 5 dong if you like. Guess I'm the "kind of person", as are many of my expat friends, who value the hard work and endless hours that local people spend on the street trying to earn a living. Didn't mean to get your knickers in a knot, mate. Nothing personal.
-@redislandar

I am a regular round here at the street markets & love the banter (even although I can count my Vietnamese language skills on one hand) when I run through on the old Mobylette & you know something? if anything because I am a crazy foreigner & have a laugh with the vendors especially the ladies I get a price reduction or an extra carrot thrown in. If Ms My comes with me she is amazed at the special deals I get & if anything she gets charged more as a Vietnamese!

@Mickael the cost of living has very variances depending the city you are. For example on bowl of Pho in the streets costs $1 USD in Gia Lai but double in the streets of HCM. A small full department (furnitures, refrigirator, bed ant TV) of 50m2 in Gia Lai cost $200 USD but $350 in HCM monthly

cougarcar20

@redislandar

Why pay more for something? All prices should be the same for everyone. People like you make it more customary for shops to charge more for foreigners

======

I fully agree with that as it makes me really nervous when locals, poor or not, see me as meat that needs to be skinned. I always say, just try to do the same with the locals and you will see the fuss. I dont mind to pay more or leave the tip but the decision is up to me. Ripping off the foreigners, regardless expats or tourists is, nothing new for me as i have lived and worked in Asia many years and can say that with exception of Singapore, Korea and Japan this is customary to any place. But not only Asia, southern [mediterannean] Europe is even worse as is much more expensive than Asia.

@cougarcar20 It is called free enterprise to charge whatever the market will bear.  Just like in the USA.  What you seem to be objecting to is bargaining for a lower than usual price.  Go to Hawaii Moana Loa shopping center where all the stall operators will bargain with you over their price.  If you don't ask for a lower price, chances are good you won't get one.

Know when to hold em... know when to fold em...1f609.svg

The whole concept of cost, affordability, free enterprise in Vietnam, or any other country, as pointed out by Travelfar & others, varies from country to country, town to town, and even street to street. I am not sure any of us are diversely different in our beliefs... but merely have differing viewpoints on how we address specific situations. I can say without reservation that I am relatively aware, and cautious, of pricing in Vietnam. I usually know when something is considerably overpriced ( as is the case in many markets and with products sold by street vendors). One of the joys for many travellers, I think, is to engage in respectful bargaining in these situations and hopefully reach a deal that all can live with. It's fun and it's cultural.

Not sure what others do but I normally shun aggressive street vendors. Just think it's abusive behavior so I respectfully ignore them. I prefer dealing with those that are friendly and reasonable. That is always a win-win! As we all know, sellers seldom, if ever, sell for less than what they pay. What would be the point. They will ask premium price in anticipation that they will be haggled down to a price that both can live with. Just a matter of having an intuitive sense of when to hold em and when to fold em...

Last point...I never haggle with street vendors that sell food...fruit, juices, etc. I find their asking prices to be so much cheaper than anything I pay in Canada (especially in the winter) that I am more than happy to pay and often tip them for their service. My choice!

20230131-130451.jpg
20230131-130231.jpg

20230131-130328.jpg
-@Aidan in HCMC

Very cool. What would that sell for if you could estimate?

-@MikeTVN

Hi MikeTVN,

~3,500,000,000 (3.5 billion) VND, or ~$150,000 USD

-@MikeTVN

Hi MikeTVN,
-@Aidan in HCMC

Wow very interesting.

-@MikeTVN
Hi MikeTVN,
-@Aidan in HCMC
Wow very interesting.
-@MikeTVN

My mistake. That was, apparently, the purchase land/build cost, 2017.

@Mickael Comparatively speaking, as  Canadian, I have been pleasantly satisfied with the cost of living in Vietnam over the past 7 years. I do not live here full-time for several reasons that I may address later. My intent is to spend between 6-8 months of the year in VN and enjoy the beautiful summers and colorful autumns in my own country.

The biggest single expense that I have in Vietnam is accommodations. There have been occasions when I have been traveling in-country that I have probably paid more than the accommodations were really worth. From personal experience I have learned over the years that what you see (online - Airbnb, etc) is not always exactly what you get. I have discovered that many people (not only in VN) have become far too creative with panoramic technology to distort the actual size of rooms and apartments being advertised. Before becoming as cautious as I should have been...there were several times when I locked into a contract online only to discover that reality is sometimes a figment of someone else's creativity. Damn those keen photographers...lol.

Accommodation prices are based on what the market can bear. Tourism is on the rise again and that will be reflected in the average price of accommodations. Obviously, prices fluctuate from region to region, city to city, district to district. As seasoned travellers we usually have to rationalize whether we are ok with premium prices in prime locations or whether something less pricey away from the hustle and bustle is more to our taste. With the latter there are possibly additional cost...maybe for transportation. Regardless, there appears to be a reasonably good price range for all travellers in Vietnam. Be smart, don't believe everything you see, and the experience won't be too painful on eyes, head or wallet.   

Housing,

8 million in Vinh City.   I could not find anything decent for less then 6.   I realized that I did not want to live in a small place so I paid a bit more.

Food is is 4 million. 

Transportation is 1 million

I travel to my parents in law every weekend. That requires a bus or car. My wife and baby come too.

Eelectric and wanter is 1.7 million.

Then 4 to 6 million on baby and eating out.

@Aidan in HCMC. Rental price for house like yours is still possible to find on PQ island?

@Mickael Comparatively speaking, as Canadian, I have been pleasantly satisfied with the cost of living in Vietnam over the past 7 years. I do not live here full-time for several reasons that I may address later. My intent is to spend between 6-8 months of the year in VN and enjoy the beautiful summers and colorful autumns in my own country.
The biggest single expense that I have in Vietnam is accommodations. There have been occasions when I have been traveling in-country that I have probably paid more than the accommodations were really worth. From personal experience I have learned over the years that what you see (online - Airbnb, etc) is not always exactly what you get. I have discovered that many people (not only in VN) have become far too creative with panoramic technology to distort the actual size of rooms and apartments being advertised. Before becoming as cautious as I should have been...there were several times when I locked into a contract online only to discover that reality is sometimes a figment of someone else's creativity. Damn those keen photographers...lol.

Accommodation prices are based on what the market can bear. Tourism is on the rise again and that will be reflected in the average price of accommodations. Obviously, prices fluctuate from region to region, city to city, district to district. As seasoned travellers we usually have to rationalize whether we are ok with premium prices in prime locations or whether something less pricey away from the hustle and bustle is more to our taste. With the latter there are possibly additional cost...maybe for transportation. Regardless, there appears to be a reasonably good price range for all travellers in Vietnam. Be smart, don't believe everything you see, and the experience won't be too painful on eyes, head or wallet. 
-@redislandar

Vietnamese are artists in everything also in scam too. I booked hotel in Hanoi old quarter which looked gorgeous on pics,but the early morning while it was dark it looked so differently I asked cabbie if he is sure about correct address..? Hotel was okay, well maintained clean, staff was very friendly and helpful but clearly in reality did not looked like on booking.com ha ha

cougarcar20
@redislandar

======

I fully agree with that as it makes me really nervous when locals, poor or not, see me as meat that needs to be skinned. I always say, just try to do the same with the locals and you will see the fuss. I dont mind to pay more or leave the tip but the decision is up to me. Ripping off the foreigners, regardless expats or tourists is, nothing new for me as i have lived and worked in Asia many years and can say that with exception of Singapore, Korea and Japan this is customary to any place. But not only Asia, southern [mediterannean] Europe is even worse as is much more expensive than Asia.
-@ruzuba1500

You are Croatian?

@Aidan in HCMC. Rental price for house like yours is still possible to find on PQ island?
-@narcrepellant2525

With local help, and some luck, perhaps.

Mind you, without the invaluable assistance of local VN friends, this low cost of living figure would never be possible. Hope this information is helpful -@Aidan in HCMC

Cost of living can vary wildly depending on lifestyle, habits, and location. With that being said, I live in HCMC and the average monthly wage for a Vietnamese citizen here is perhaps around $500 (out in the countryside I suspect it's much cheaper). So that should give you a starting base. The best advice I can give you is to decide how you want to live (priorities) and then do your homework.

1 year of unlimited 5G data from Viettel, the top carrier here: ₫1,080,000 VNĐ/$45.39 USD

(₫90,000 VNĐ/$3.78 USD per month)

with a one-time sim startup charge of ₫150,000 VNĐ plus (optional/my choice) ₫100,000 VNĐ for calls/texts, which can last a long time here, since most people and businesses use Zalo/Messenger/WhatsApp for virtually all calls and messages.

1 year of unlimited 5G data from Viettel, the top carrier here: ₫1,080,000 VNĐ/$45.39 USD
(₫90,000 VNĐ/$3.78 USD per month)

-@OceanBeach92107

WOW thats a good deal, I pay 90k vnd a month for 4G with MOBI & its not unlimited.

Just an observation on my part but getting back on the cost of living thing my take on it........I do my supermarket shopping along the road at AEON twice a month 5th & 20th on Members Day (5% discount) & I see a big increase in prices % wise after TET especially for imported stuff. eg 200g jar of Nescafe Red Cup before 125,000, now 155,000. Small bottle of Strongbow before 13,500 now 18,500.

However at the wet markets all the prices seem to be pretty much the same or even a bit less.

Thing is, its all relative, a 20% increase here for most expats is nothing like a 20% increase back in UK & for some Vietnamese though it will be hitting them hard I think!

Closed