Visa Confusion

Based on what I have, I need a Visa Temporal. I plan to renew it twice a year for 4 years until I can gain permanent residency. I am not seeing anywhere online if I can do that without leaving Mexico every time I need to renew. Can anyone clarify that for me? My concern is that I want to rent an apartment long term. I have two cats that need a safe, consistent home to live in and not have to be uprooted and flown out of the country every 6 months. I also plan to apply for dual citizenship. Will that have any impact on the type of visa I get or the length of time it takes to switch to permanent residency?

Please help!

Thanks!

Michele

@michelewalterlmt you need to apply for Temporal from outside Mexico. First time for a year, then you apply for a 3 year Temporal from inside Mexico at the nearest INM office. Or immigration.  Only visitors need to apply every 6 months.

Ian

I would go to immigrations and check before using Ian's suggestion of having to apply outside Mexico.

During the pandemic I was able to apply within Mexico without problem. This may still be in place.

The Covid-19 INM temporary policy for foreigners with 180 day FMM tourist cards recieved in 2019/2020 and expired in 2020/2021 that were allowed to apply at some, not all, INM offices inside Mexico is long gone. Applying at a Mexican Consulate or Embassy is the only way. 

@alleycat1 This is not about a 180 day FMM.

It is about a temporary visa which lasts at minimum one year.

Even if what you are referring to is the temporary visa that I mentioned, I would suggest Michele go and ask the immigration office directly. Do

not depend on what you hear in these forums as that information may be out of date.

@michelewalterlmt

Dear Michele,

I would recommend that you either go directly to your local immigration office or consult with a bilingual expert who assists Expats with temporary and permanent Visas for a fee.

In my experience, Mexican government websites offer little or no updated information on visa processing requirements.

Also, Expats´ opinions on the subject may be outdated or incorrect.

Melanie

Perm Resident in Mexico

Health insurance agent

Thanks for all the tips guys! :)))

@michelewalterlmt You have to initiate the process for ResidenteTemporal at a MX embassy/ consulate.  The consulate will issue a visa to enter MX. Once that is obtain (There is a secondary process.) You have to go to a local INM office within 30 days of entering MX to finish the process and obtain your RT. As stated in another thread the first is good for a year. When you renew ( In MX) you can apply for the additional 3 years immediately.

When you initially apply at MX embassy /consulate if you can demonstrate to the consular officer interviewing you that you have consistent financial streams of income that meet the threshold, they may authorize you to apply immediately for a Residente Permanente. The finance threshold will vary by consulate. At one time 7 yrs ago the Phoenix, Arizona MX consulate seemed to be easier to deal with. That may have changed. Solicit inquiries from people with their experiences with the various consulates.

Paperwork. You can't have too much. Some entities say six months. Take a year of financial and bank statements. (Minimum...Original and two copies)

I see where someone offered, for a fee, to assist you. I have no comment. I have always processed my own visa applications in MX and other foreign countries. It could be a challenge. But, I take personal pleasure in doing this.

This site has downloaded its MX guide. Suggest reading the section on "Visas"

Ohh....I read that INM office are accepting credit cards...but no cash. I would be surprised if ALL are able to accept card payments. Otherwise INM, will give you an invoice with the appropriate fees...you go to a bank...pay...making sure the fee is applied to the correct INM account...take the receipt back to INM.

Good Luck

@First Last @michelewalterlmt

First/Last that was an excellent summary.

Additions...

Getting the initial appointment at the consulate can be very challenging depending on your geography. I was advised by the Mexican Consulate help desk (in Sacramento, CA) to check the website for appointments on Wednesday after 12pm, following this advise I got an appointment immediately and completed this portion on my own. The instructions are very clear, follow them to the letter. The whole process took about 4 hours.

For the INM appointment I sought the help of Gabrielle Smith PhD in Mexico City. I went to CDMX (in October) because it was the fastest, no fuss option (and I did A LOT of research). I stood in line at 5am and had my residency card in hand by 11am.

Good Luck!

@First Last It used to be required to apply outside of Mexico, pre-pandemic. That is not necessarily the case now. It is recommended for anyone to call your local INM office to find out what the requirements are now.

For example, I applied inside Mexico during the pandemic without problem. But, that was about a year and half ago. Things may have changed I don't know. That is why it is important to ask the INM.

@Oscar257 Hello. I applied and received Temporal within Mexico.

Yes during the pandemic they had a couple of programs that allowed some to do that. Read the government website it is normally done from outside the country. Your circumstances are NOT normal.

@Mike Bluett initially applying for residency must begin at a Mexican Consul.. ie.. Outside México. The extreme pandemic event changed a few things temporarily.

The biggest hurdle for many now is the new financial requirements. Much higher.. In fact 2.5 x higher than 2012 when I arrived in Mexico as a residente temporal

@First Last just wanted to let you all know that I made it into Mexico and this post was spot on. It took me 2 days to get my RT once I got here what the help of a wonderful facilitator. I would highly, highly recommend getting a facilitator unless you speak fluent or near fluent Spanish. I consider myself to speak pretty good Spanish and I can get by without English speakers around, but not in that situation without feeling like I could be missing something important.

Really appreciate all of the help in this post and other posts that I made. You guys are awesome!!! 1f603.svg1f603.svg1f603.svg

@michelewalterlmt As a facilitator I love to hear this news! Glad you found the services of one beneficial :) Welcome to Mexico!

@First Last All offices have card machines now to accept payment. Cash was never allowed, the payment had to be made at the bank ahead of time, but that is a thing of the past woot!

@michelewalterlmt

Congratulations! Enjoy Semana Santa ..next month? I think. Easter. Enjoy your new adopted country 

@Guest8928 Thanks for confirming the information I posted was helpful for you.