Acknowledgement of fathership in Citizenship Verification

My father is hungarian but immigrated before I was born, he stopped renewing his hungarian ID but I have his birth certificate, old ID, my grandparents have valid hungarian passports etc so proving my lineage shouldnt be a problem, however as I am planning on booking my appointment at the consulate to verify my citizenship the only thing that kinda caught me off guard is the paternity thing. My parents got married after I was born (both of them had not been married before), and I am just curious if this can have any implications on my application? Like I said both of my parents had not been married before and my father is also on my birth certificate, the consulate gave me an acknowledgement of fathership form that had to be filled out that my father has to sign at my appointment., will him signing the form despite not having valid hungarian documents anymore and him being on my foreign birth certificate be enough for the people who will look at the application or might they request further proof of his fathership?

It may depend on when you were born. I haven't researched it, but I have a vague recollection that at one time Hungarian citizenship passed only from the mother in the case of a birth out of wedlock. (I gather your mother was not Hungarian.) I sort of recall that that rule was changed for births after a certain date, but don't recall the specifics.

Obviously you'll have to rely on the consul's advice on this. But generally if your application isn't cut-and-dry it's going to take more time.

@zif I was born in 2001, my parents born in 1975 and 1976, my father was a hungarian citizen when i was born, the fathership thing is the only thing freaking me out a bit but yeah i guess asking the consul for more clarification is the best thing i can do, was just curious if anyone had any experience/knowledge

It looks like the rule I mentioned would not apply to a 2001 birth:

https://losangeles.mfa.gov.hu/eng/page/ … itizenship

Another question for the consul is whether that expired ID will be enough to prove your father's Hungarian citizenship.

It looks like the rule I mentioned would not apply to a 2001 birth:
https://losangeles.mfa.gov.hu/eng/page/ … itizenship

Another question for the consul is whether that expired ID will be enough to prove your father's Hungarian citizenship.
-@zif

It's not the quite the same but I was in a bank here once and I had an expired passport as ID (my new passport was on its way) and they argued it wasn't valid ID because it had expired. My argument back was that it was still me and matched the ID in their computer.  They gave in.  But that's shows a mentality hereabouts. You're a non-person without ID.

I don't know about Hungarian nationality, but for my own kids, Mrs Fluffy and I had to get married for me to pass on my citizenship to our kids - that was the British authorities.  Even if our kids were born out of wedlock and Mrs F and I got married later, this would not be enough. We rapidly got married three weeks before our daughter arrived. Very lucky and very unfair overall. But that's UK stupidity over nationality. They changed the rules eventually because it was so unfair and discriminatory.

Meanwhile, here, in Hungary, several times, I had to sign several papers to say I acknowledged paternity over our kids. One thing we have always done is maintained are the kids passports. They always have had two. Moreover, they use them to enter the UK and HU. It's a way of ensuring their rights are acknowledged.

One avenue for the OP is just for the HU father to apply and receive a HU passport.  Then, there's no questions over his documentation.

Our son has HU citizenship through his father.

He is on our sons birth certicate although we did not legally marry until he was nearly 3 years old.

We applied in Ca. with the HU embassy over 25 years ago.

At least at that time only the brith and marriage certificates were important for declaring who the father was.

@Marilyn Tassy Yeah I might very well be overthinking it, the consulate has just asked me for the acknowledgement of paternity form and for my dad to sign it in person and they're not making a big deal about my parents not being married when I was born, I guess with such a bureaucratic procedure that can take 6-18 months I just wanna make sure that everything is in order. But I haven't heard of this being an issue for anyone as long as the mother was not married to another man before the child was born.