Your best culinary memory in Vietnam

Hello everyone,

As you know, every country has its own flavours and tasting the local cuisine is a great way to discover the culture of a destination. Whether it's a small typical restaurant to taste local dishes, a traditional meal in a local's home, street food or fast food, there is something for everyone!

So, which dish do you want to try in Vietnam?
Which dish has impressed you the most and when did you discover it?
Do you know how to cook it and share it with your family?

Thank you for your taste contribution ;)

@Mickael

McDonlads...

Rick

@Mickael
McDonlads...
Rick
-@Budman1

1f602.svgmy fav is a triple Big Mac with bacon & cheese, but a thin crust Dominos pizza with extra peperoni is almost as good.

Hello,

And what about the local dishes?

I'm sure that the Vietnamese cuisine has a lot to offer1f60e.svg

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Yoginee

For me:

1 banh mi heo quay

2 banh trang nuong
3 bo ne from Bo Ne Haha, Nha Trang
All equal favourites.

Hello honem,

For me:
1 banh mi heo quay
2 banh trang nuong
3 bo ne from Bo Ne Haha, Nha Trang
All equal favourites.

Thank you for sharing these dishes with us1f60b.svg

I've personally never heard about them but they do sound amazing1f60d.svg

Do you make these at home or do you have them at a local restaurant?

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

trứng vịt lộn........delicious especially duck

Vịt quay (roast duck)

I like bánh xèo, especially the ones I got from around the corner when I lived in the warrens by Nguyễn Trãi.  Other than that, mì xào bò, cơm chiên hải sản and bò kho.

I like bánh xèo, especially the ones I got from around the corner when I lived in the warrens by Nguyễn Trãi. Other than that, mì xào bò, cơm chiên hải sản and bò kho.
-@paulmsn

Definitely with you on the bánh xèo & mì xào bò, we have them out or make at home regularly, along with bánh khọt from Vung Tau & nem nướng, my all time fav is crispy frog & phô mai sò điệp.

To make at home bbq oysters, scollops, ocra, beef, capsicum, onion pork, chicken with packet noodles a great weekend round the table with electric bbq and a few beers fun for the whole family.

mi quang, bun bo, bun cha Hanoi, bun thit nuong and ban cuon are my favorites at the moment. ah! and bun ca ro.

I LOVE BUN CHA OBAMA - RED HOT AND JUICY .................. AND SAIGON BEERS ..................

@Mickael
McDonlads...
Rick
-@Budman1

I too would think of non-Vietnamese food if asked about my best culinary memory in Vietnam, but I would recall all of the fantastic Italian, Indian, Japanese and Tex-Mex food I ate there rather than any American fast food.

If I had to mention VNese food, I would just say the wide variety of fruit is quite good.

@Mickael I should preface by saying that I don't trust street food in Saigon, and consumed those in small doses with a good amount of skepticism regarding their sanitation. I would sometime eat food that had been premade, kept hot, and available through those mini marts' hot stations like the pyramid bánh giò, and HumBow bánh bao. Shops tell me they would throw out the old banh gio banh bao every 12 hours by law. Don't know if they stick to that strictly but it seems fresh enough even if it lasted longer than 12 hours in the heated glass case.

I went to The Brick Cục Gạch quán in District One Ho Chi Minh City. I had the Salt and pepper softshell crab on a bed of water crest salad, the Vietnamese fish sweet and sour soup canh chua cá mú, and I also like their pumpkin flowers stirfry with beef or prawns. I kept coming back and ordering the same because they were so good. They may use some MSG in theit salt and pepper softshell crab despite the claim of not using any. I'm not sure. However the taste was addictive and the ambience was on point with the homey feel I wanted to have. They also have AC. The cost for the three dishes with one drink (mine was non-alcoholic) per person is around 750,000 dong.

I also went to quán Bụi in Bình Thạnh district HCMC, and tried the Salt and pepper softshell crab, soup and stirfry combo. Taste was pretty good too but definitely I know they throw some MSG in there. I prefer the Brick dishes.

I know how to make a lot of Vietnamese food and make it quite well from pho, bun bo Huế, bánh xèo to crispy skin roasted pork (A time consuming dish to make)  The easy to make dishes like Bún tôm or thịt I can make easily at home so I don't go eat those. Right now I am eating homemade Bún bò lá lốt for lunch in the comfort of my own Seattle home. This was inspired by my recent trip to Saigon with all the fresh food there.

Another dish I really liked was Bánh tráng cuốn thịt heo hai đầu Spring roll with boiled pork at quán Trần Đà Nẵng D3, HCMC. The dipping sauce was very well-crafted and high-quality, leafy greens were fresh and abundant, and open air clean feel. I went on their first week opening. Highly recommend.

Hello everyone,

If you come to Mekong dental, please taste a meal with Canh Chua Ca Loc & Ca Ro Kho To

It's really delicious!

Hello everyone,
If you come to Mekong dental, please taste a meal with Canh Chua Ca Loc & Ca Ro Kho To
It's really delicious!
-@minhlam

That's a funny one.  1f600.svg. A dentist who serves food.   Oh, the dangers of auto-correct.

@THIGV oh. Thanks for your discover. That is my mistake. The right word is Mekong delta

@Mickael My first day in Da Nang, Vietnam, four years ago, I was returning from a bank to change some money and being very hungry, I spotted a backstreet restaurant on the way back to the hotel.

I was staying on the beach side.

It was Friday evening and there a bunch of guys sitting at tables drinking from crates of beer.

I noticed in the front of the window a see-through refrigerated container with a leg of beef.

The price quoted for a kilo was quite cheap. 

I ordered a beer to start with and the guys on the tables noticed that I was alone and called out to me to join them.

I joined them and we drank together. Some guys spoke English.

I ordered the beef as we could all share the food.

A barbecue grill game alongside and the beef was grilled into edible pieces together with ladyfingers, of course!

The meet was so tasty and tender.

While we were eating and drinking, along came some beautiful models giving away free beers that their companies were sponsoring.

What a night with a lot of free beer and some good food to eat. It was a great party atmosphere.

I liked that small restaurant run by a young couple that I tried to eat there regularly while I was in Da Nang.   

Hey lifeisgoodok,

That is a beautiful memory you just shared here. 1f60a.svg

Barbecues always bring people together.

But that grilled beef, have you tried to make it for your family after that?

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl

Yes, I have tried it and it is fun for family. Making sure that it is marinated properly before cooking.

I want to get the Korean barbecue grill plate that can be put on the table and family and friends can eat hot barbecued meat and food off the plate.

A Korean grocery store is opening not too far from in a couple of months, and they will have it!

@lifeisgoodok, that's good to hear.

I am also a big fan of the Korean barbecue grill plate. 1f60d.svg

In June this year I ducked in to a coffee shop on the corner near the Ben Thanh market because it was pouring down rain, had a coffee then when the rain stopped I went back out on the street (Le Thanh Ton) and noticed a motorcycle go up a small laneway opposite, always looking for new places to eat I decided to have a look. This laneway was only app 40 mts long and had a “T” intersection at the end and both were dead ends but there were about 3-4 little eateries there. I can not remember the name of the place (hence the description on where it is) but it was the last one on the right hand side, very quirky place but the food was awesome, standout dish was pumpkin flowers stuffed with fish cake topped with a thick chillie sauce. One of the best dishes I have eaten in Vietnam.

Wadey

Another place I LOVE going to is “The Lunch Lady” she is at 1A 1B Nguyen Dinh Chieu

Lo C1 Quonset Dakao Q1 Saigon. This place serves the absolute BEST Bun Bo Hue I have ever tasted. This place serves  only 1 type of dish each day so what is served on a Monday is available only on mondays and so on a different dish each day. Her name is Nguyen Thi Thanh and is such a lovely lady to meet. Only open till app 3pm or until food runs out. Always has a good crowd there.

Wadey

Another place I LOVE going to is “The Lunch Lady” she is at 1A 1B Nguyen Dinh Chieu
Lo C1 Quonset Dakao Q1 Saigon. This place serves the absolute BEST Bun Bo Hue I have ever tasted. This place serves only 1 type of dish each day so what is served on a Monday is available only on mondays and so on a different dish each day. Her name is Nguyen Thi Thanh and is such a lovely lady to meet. Only open till app 3pm or until food runs out. Always has a good crowd there.
Wadey
-@Wadey

+ 1 vote on that, an american food vlogger has a video on her and really pushed her business up.

An article today covering a few favorites in Vietnam (link)