Your best culinary memory in Hungary

Hello everyone,

As you know, every country has its own flavours and tasting the local cuisine is a great way to discover the culture of a destination. Whether it's a small typical restaurant to taste local dishes, a traditional meal in a local's home, street food or fast food, there is something for everyone!

So, which dish do you want to try in Hungary?
Which dish has impressed you the most and when did you discover it?
Do you know how to cook it and share it with your family?

Thank you for your taste contribution ;)

Hello everyone,

As you know, every country has its own flavours and tasting the local cuisine is a great way to discover the culture of a destination. Whether it's a small typical restaurant to taste local dishes, a traditional meal in a local's home, street food or fast food, there is something for everyone!

So, which dish do you want to try in Hungary?
Which dish has impressed you the most and when did you discover it?
Do you know how to cook it and share it with your family?

Thank you for your taste contribution wink.png
-@Mickael

Tell about yours first?

@atomheart Good question 1f601.svg

So I discovered Hungarian food but not in Hungary unfortunately but in a restaurant in Paris (yes a bit shameful I admit).

But I loved my dish, I think it was a "Porkolt" if I don't say anything stupid.

Good memory of this dish but it would be even better if I was in Hungary 1f60a.svg

And you ?

Mickael

Team Expat.com

I cook 90% of our meals Hungarian style.

Only took me 48 years to learn !

I am not bragging but I would serve my dishes to my MIL without fear of her disapproving.

One of my fave memories about eating in Hungary has to be from 1978.

My husband took me to a funky fish place located on the Danube river.

It was somewhere between Elizabeth bridge and Freedom bridge.

It was a wooden shack on stilts half way in the water.

We had deep fried frogs legs.

Sounds weird but it was really good.

Too bad some of these iconic places have long been torn down.

Replaced by Micky D's or a Gyro shop.

I've never dared or even looked to find frogs legs in any shop.

Never knew it was a ,"thing" at one time in Hungary. It seems so ,"French" to serve frogs legs.

So I discovered Hungarian food but not in Hungary unfortunately but in a restaurant in Paris (yes a bit shameful I admit).

Good memory of this dish but it would be even better if I was in Hungary 1f60a.svg

And you ?

Mickael
Team Expat.com
-@Mickael

Good you knew porkolt.

Porkolt is a beef/pork stew which some people (outside of HU) often call Goulash. It's not really Goulash but a kind of Hungarian themed stew mainly because - I suppose - it has paprika in it. Paprika is of course well represented in HU cooking.

But there's plenty of other things to try including the marvellous Langos with sour cream and grated cheese.  Like a large flattened out donut with toppings. Its a good fast food but a calorie bomb. I've seen Langos being sold in other countries but the proper stuff can only be found here.  Be interesting to see it mainstreamed elsewhere.

Then there's Unicum digestive and Tokaj wine. Both abominations!

I heard that the old Queen mother imported Tokai wine as one of her favorite drinks.

I personally like Unicum but I agree it's not my first choice.

Thakes some getting used to.

I heard that the old Queen mother imported Tokai wine as one of her favorite drinks.
I personally like Unicum but I agree it's not my first choice.
Thakes some getting used to.
-@Marilyn Tassy

That's the problem with Unicum, you have to get used to it.  Anything that needs one to build up tolerance has to be a bit dodgy. 

People in the office used to break out the Unicum in the afternoon when the day was winding down. 

I tolerated it as a price of being here but now I'm teetotal and older, I can safely say I never understood what it was about.

Tokaj is so sweet, it's just horrible. Talk about hyped up. Queen Mum is welcome to it!

i ve tried and tried but Ive never enjoyed Hungarian cookery or restaurant food.

I prefer my own cooking and I do make my own similar dishes like bean stew but to a much improved recipe .

Many years ago. I worked in Derby in the uk. We had a work away day and a Asian member of the team organized a big lunch for everybody. The food arrived in big vats and on huge dishes. It was so delicious I would still consider it to have been the best Indian food I have ever eaten. The variety was fantastic and the taste super. This is in comparison to lots of Asian foods ,including all the delicious meals I had in India many years later.

i ve tried and tried but Ive never enjoyed Hungarian cookery or restaurant food.
I prefer my own cooking and I do make my own similar dishes like bean stew but to a much improved recipe .
Many years ago. I worked in Derby in the uk. We had a work away day and a Asian member of the team organized a big lunch for everybody. The food arrived in big vats and on huge dishes. It was so delicious I would still consider it to have been the best Indian food I have ever eaten. The variety was fantastic and the taste super. This is in comparison to lots of Asian foods ,including all the delicious meals I had in India many years later.
-@anns

I believe a lot of Indian restaurants in the UK are actually run by Bangladeshis.  Still, great food whoever made it.

Quite a lot of Hungarian food is quite basic with lots of meat, potatoes and cheese. Pickled this and that. Countryside style. Their cakes are nice.

At the risk of upsetting some people, worst food I've had was in a company canteen in The Netherlands - pureed spinach, mashed potatoes and a weird sausage.  Receiving a weird sausage confuses your day.

On the other hand, rijstafel is wonderful. So is sambal. 

I do like Dutch and Belgian double cooked chips (french fries) with mayo. Really nice. They can keep their Frikandels and bitterballen - calorie and artery clogging death bombs.

From my memories what was best Bohnen gulash (Beans with Pork meat), Palatschinken (pancakes with meat for me and cream), Goose liver. Sorry for the German descriptions. Of course I took my spicy sauce to the restaurant.

On that, in our area no Indian, Chinese, Indonesian .... Very much Hungarian, but quite fine. Same situation in Turkey, just local food (which is fine), but I do miss foreign kitchens.

Like Fluffy I do miss Indonesian.

Whereas in Netherlands sateh sauce is normal, it is virtually impossible to get it in Hungary (Amazon, but ..), Bitterballen and Kroketten alike.

Still I remember restaurants in Hungary and generally tasty and good.

By the way I also miss sambal, but I am really in for real, real sharp sauce (eg Blair Mega or Ultra death), I take this to restaurants to spice up as in Hungary or Turkey they do not have real sharp peppers (amazingly).

From my memories what was best Bohnen gulash (Beans with Pork meat), Palatschinken (pancakes with meat for me and cream), Goose liver. Sorry for the German descriptions. Of course I took my spicy sauce to the restaurant.
On that, in our area no Indian, Chinese, Indonesian .... Very much Hungarian, but quite fine. Same situation in Turkey, just local food (which is fine), but I do miss foreign kitchens.
Like Fluffy I do miss Indonesian.
Whereas in Netherlands sateh sauce is normal, it is virtually impossible to get it in Hungary (Amazon, but ..), Bitterballen and Kroketten alike.
Still I remember restaurants in Hungary and generally tasty and good.
-@cdw057

Could you make your own sateh sauce?

Living on the outskirts of Budapest, we can get everything if we pick it up ourselves. 

Our village has a Thai but it's quite expensive. I am not sure anyone goes there but someone must as it's open every day.

By the way I also miss sambal, but I am really in for real, real sharp sauce (eg Blair Mega or Ultra death), I take this to restaurants to spice up as in Hungary or Turkey they do not have real sharp peppers (amazingly).
-@cdw057

Bit of a surprise they don't have good chili peppers.

I bet they've got 10 different types of kebab. 

I once tried all the different ones on  a Turkish restaurant and they all tasted and looked the same.

Peppers they have and they are not too bad, I just like ultra, kebab is great, lamb shank in all (Western Restaurants) as wel as some hamburgers (even is I miss Giga Burger (from Smokey Burger (you can look on internet))

https://oldsmokey.hu/

Kebab is good, but also Osmanish, Lentil soup, Tea, Bread, Sauces. All in all I am happy with the food even variety is limited.

I always take my Blairs Ultra sauce to restaurants to spice things up.

https://www.blairsdeathsauce.com.au/pro … eath-sauce

A few drops are good

What is the biggest difference for me, in Hungary enough of pork (and tasty), but no lamb (in any case very very difficult to buy). In Turkey Lamb is abundance but no pork.

Honestly I prefer Lamb over Pork, but to have both would be best. (I have to go to Sri Lanka or alike)

But in Sri Lanka beef might be challenging.

Outside Netherlands difficult to buy, Satay sauce (Suzi Wan my preference), Kroketten, Bitterballen, ....

Outside Netherlands difficult to buy, Satay sauce (Suzi Wan my preference), Kroketten, Bitterballen, ....
-@cdw057

Be easier I suppose if within the EU or if on flying trip to NL.  Then you could stock up for the flight back.

Frites Mayo is hard to find but the Aldi mayo is not a bad substitute.

Peppers they have and they are not too bad, I just like ultra, kebab is great, lamb shank in all (Western Restaurants) as wel as some hamburgers (even is I miss Giga Burger (from Smokey Burger (you can look on internet))
https://oldsmokey.hu/
Kebab is good, but also Osmanish, Lentil soup, Tea, Bread, Sauces. All in all I am happy with the food even variety is limited.
I always take my Blairs Ultra sauce to restaurants to spice things up.
https://www.blairsdeathsauce.com.au/pro … eath-sauce
A few drops are good

What is the biggest difference for me, in Hungary enough of pork (and tasty), but no lamb (in any case very very difficult to buy). In Turkey Lamb is abundance but no pork.
Honestly I prefer Lamb over Pork, but to have both would be best. (I have to go to Sri Lanka or alike)
But in Sri Lanka beef might be challenging.
-@cdw057

Lamb and goat must be easy in Turkey.

We are using that Vietnamese sriracha sauce which is easy to find in HU.  It's not the best but its workable.

The best spicy sauce I ever had was from Senegal. I used to go out that way and I'd always bring a few bottles back. But unfortunately, I haven't been out that way for years. I have had some spicy nice Caribbean sauces from places like Saint Lucia and the Bahamas.

HU has some rocket powered chili/paprikas as well but I've forgotten the name of it. You only need a tiny bit to put in say soup to boost it. Quite nice.

I've been to Sri Lanka. Interesting place. Well worth a visit. Lots of history and culture. Don't remember the food.

I had a colleague with family in Cameroon, he used to bring some spices at the time, I have to say not bad at all.

Not Senegal, but still (and I appreciated at the time).

I had a colleague with family in Cameroon, he used to bring some spices at the time, I have to say not bad at all.
Not Senegal, but still (and I appreciated at the time).
-@cdw057

While it was great stuff from Senegal, it was difficult to know if it would pass EU health and safety standards for food processing.

It was an orange colour in a squeezy bottle.  We loved it.  It said it was "brewed" like beer with lots of chili bits in it. 

I don't recall the name of it but it lasted a very long time.  Only one or two drops needed to boost a bowl of soup.

@Mickael

Best thing was a kind of bean stew. Also I love Indian food and occasionally have eaten a nice Indian meal in Budapest.

Mostly I strongly dislike the Hungarian offerings because I'm vegetarian and its rare to be offered anything not highly disguised with paprika because meat fat has been used.

Also what is offered is often poor quality and greasy . And sorry to say not heated properly and I prefer my meal to arrive hot and on a warmed plate.

As mentioned before I'm not over fussed about eating out in Hungary because I genuinely prefer my own cooking. If I have to go out with friends I often just have a starter and a desert, plus a few nice drinks.

@Mickael
Best thing was a kind of bean stew. Also I love Indian food and occasionally have eaten a nice Indian meal in Budapest.
Mostly I strongly dislike the Hungarian offerings because I'm vegetarian and its rare to be offered anything not highly disguised with paprika because meat fat has been used.
Also what is offered is often poor quality and greasy . And sorry to say not heated properly and I prefer my meal to arrive hot and on a warmed plate.
As mentioned before I'm not over fussed about eating out in Hungary because I genuinely prefer my own cooking. If I have to go out with friends I often just have a starter and a desert, plus a few nice drinks.
-@anns

The quality of food available in restaurants has gone down hill everywhere. Not just in Hungary. I think it's rising material prices, increasing energy costs, salaries and all that kind of thing.  Some stuff though is just hard to get in HU, like decent curry powder. They just don't have the variety we've come to expect. And with Brexit, receiving a care package from the mothership is unlikely to be economically worthwhile.

BTW, the worse example of a rip off is Bone Soup.  That's like Stone Soup from the kids' story.  As soon as I see that on a menu, I know it's not going to go well.

Best food  (ok, it was just reasonable) I've had recently is Mustafa's kebab plate down at Siofok next to the harbour.

I've seen a large varity of curries inside several Indian markets in the city.

They even sell huge bags of bastisi rice.

Not all sell black seed oil though.

I was buying black cumin seeds from a Turish shop and grinding them myslef but finding the oil is so much easier.

I am thinking of grinding my own seeds again and simmering them in olive oil to make my own , "witches brew". Very good stuff for your immune system.

I've seen a large varity of curries inside several Indian markets in the city.
They even sell huge bags of bastisi rice.
Not all sell black seed oil though.
I was buying black cumin seeds from a Turish shop and grinding them myslef but finding the oil is so much easier.
I am thinking of grinding my own seeds again and simmering them in olive oil to make my own , "witches brew". Very good stuff for your immune system.
-@Marilyn Tassy

We have bought some curry powder at that shop next to the market next to Szabadsag bridge.  But it's not the same as stuff we can buy in superrmarkets in the UK. Quite a poor imitation.

We have made our own curry powder as well but some of the ingredients I brought in on the plane. Difficult or even illegal due to bloody Brexit. Not that I see anyone rifling through bags at Customs these days.  Probably knock off at 5.

Thing like lemon grass or curry leaves seem to quite difficult. Not even mainstream which is unfortunate. 

We do go to the Panda Asian shop sometimes but even that is mainly Thai (and good, but we still need proper Indian stuff too).

This was at Café Gerbeaud in the late '80s. It was a buttery and cinnamony and flaky confection and delicious beyond words. Such a shock because you didn't expect to eat anything of that quality in Budapest then.

This was at Café Gerbeaud in the late '80s. It was a buttery and cinnamony and flaky confection and delicious beyond words. Such a shock because you didn't expect to eat anything of that quality in Budapest then.
-@zif

Gerbeaud was of course really famous. But it's lost some of it's appeal these days and so many other places are of a similar quality. Pricewise it wouldn't be first choice these days.

It's a bit like Robinson near the Zoo, it was OK 20 years ago, but I had quails eggs there once at a business meeting and it really made me feel uncomfortable and ill. And I vowed I would never return.

-@zif

My husband was a delivery driver for the Gerbeaud when he was 18 or 19 years old.

They always have the highest quailty foods and cakes.

He was well known around the 5th district playgrounds, not as a pervo but a nice ,cool guy who every so often drove his truck to the playgrounds and gave away Gerbeaud deserts to the children.

He knew most probably never got such treats before and the place was going to toss away these cracked, broken bits and pieces of pastry and sweets.

He collected from the bakers sweets and cakes that had been ruined by breaking or whatever.

The bakers were aslo always trying to stuff my skinny teenage husband with creams and deserts.

Every morning when he arrived for his shift they had a huge hot cocoa waiting for him with different cakes or hot rolls and butter, They were happy to see him eating something.

He made frequent deliveries to the airport. They were sent from the Gerbeaud to the Hungarian embassy in Paris. I mean if they couldn't find a nice cake in Paris that was strange.He also did many deliveries to churches... those clergymen aren't dumb.

Same thing happened to me when I was a server in Ca. and a few months pregnant. Way to thin so the cooks would just about fought over who was making me lunch.

They came out of the kitchen to make sure I was eating and drinking my glass of milk.

Crazy thing is I wasn't into hamburgers, steaks or much of what they served.I'd jump in after work every eveing to Taco Bell. My son is made out of Tacos!

There are many really good none greasy Hungarian palces to eat in the city, they just aren't all that cheap.

We used to try out places like the 100 year old restaurant and others but with time we just got over it.

The places that serve cold food or usually menu places with the daily specials. They microwave everything.

My husband on Maui worked with a crazy crew of Hungarians at night cleaning the kitchen at the Intercontinental hotel.

They were allowed to eat anything that the chefs had made that day. Usually they raided the shushi .

Perfect job for a surfer. He got off around 4-5 am , just in time for the morning waves.

They wrked about 3-4 hours and spent the second half of their shift playing music using what the hotel band had left behind. Drums, gutairs etc. They took naps for hours an d were awoke by the morning crew.

We had a Hungarian friend in NYC who worked at the Waldrof Astoria as a cook. Believe me, real good Hungarian food is much different then a menu shop.

And you ?

Mickael
Team Expat.com
-@Mickael

Good you knew porkolt.

Porkolt is a beef/pork stew which some people (outside of HU) often call Goulash. It's not really Goulash but a kind of Hungarian themed stew mainly because - I suppose - it has paprika in it. Paprika is of course well represented in HU cooking.

But there's plenty of other things to try including the marvellous Langos with sour cream and grated cheese. Like a large flattened out donut with toppings. Its a good fast food but a calorie bomb. I've seen Langos being sold in other countries but the proper stuff can only be found here. Be interesting to see it mainstreamed elsewhere.

Then there's Unicum digestive and Tokaj wine. Both abominations!
-@fluffy2560

We also had a wonderful Hungarian meal in Paris.

We walked around on a quiet Sunday looking for a nice place to have dinner with our son.

We went to a Hungarian Kosher restraunt and I had duck legs and buckwheat with red cabbage. I never forget a great meal.

My recommendations for "typical" Hungarian foods are:

• Langos
  • Kurtoskalacs
  • Paprikas Csirke
  • Bab leves
  • Hortobagyi Palacsinta
  • Toltott kaposzta
  • Turos Teszta
  • Retes
  • Somloi galuska
  • OK, I give in....gyulas!

Even in my mind this reads as some sort of internet troll listing, but honestly these are the ones that came to mind when someone mentioned "Hungarian foods". If you really want to divide people, talk about their favorite places for these, or their favorite recipes. Most have the "my grandmother's recipe is the best" vibe!

As for drinks, there's Unicum and now flavored versions like Unicum Szilva, there's Palinka in many fruit and other forms, there's egribikaver and kekfrankos red wines, and tokaj, furmint, and other white wines, and of course Tokaj Aszu...which is like a port wine....

My recommendations for "typical" Hungarian foods are:
Langos
Kurtoskalacs
Paprikas Csirke
Bab leves
Hortobagyi Palacsinta
Toltott kaposzta
Turos Teszta
Retes
Somloi galuska
OK, I give in....gyulas!
Even in my mind this reads as some sort of internet troll listing, but honestly these are the ones that came to mind when someone mentioned "Hungarian foods". If you really want to divide people, talk about their favorite places for these, or their favorite recipes. Most have the "my grandmother's recipe is the best" vibe!

As for drinks, there's Unicum and now flavored versions like Unicum Szilva, there's Palinka in many fruit and other forms, there's egribikaver and kekfrankos red wines, and tokaj, furmint, and other white wines, and of course Tokaj Aszu...which is like a port wine....
-@Vicces1

That's a very worthy list.

I suddenly thought of Francia Kremes with caramel topping.

The wines are good.  I also thought of Irsai Oliver for easy drinking. Good for a spritzer on a lazy summer day whilst laying in a hammock.  Those were the days.

Only thing I might have concerns around....Tokaj Aszu anything....pfff...sugar bomb....no way!

We walked around on a quiet Sunday looking for a nice place to have dinner with our son.
We went to a Hungarian Kosher restraunt and I had duck legs and buckwheat with red cabbage. I never forget a great meal.
-@Marilyn Tassy

You're right.  Never forget a special meal.

I had fish soup in France in a tiny restaurant we just passed one day.  It was wonderful.   I've never forgotten it.   

I've tried fish soup here and other places since but I've never been impressed as much as that one time French fish soup.   

-@Marilyn Tassy

You're right. Never forget a special meal.

I had fish soup in France in a tiny restaurant we just passed one day. It was wonderful.  I've never forgotten it. 

I've tried fish soup here and other places since but I've never been impressed as much as that one time French fish soup. 
-@fluffy2560

Soups, my Hungarian MIL's specialty.

She made the best soups ever.

She once made tomatoe soup with  tomatoes right from her garden.

I had a small bowl at her request before dinner.

I loved it, asked for seconds.

Then thirds..I couldn't stop myself, I could of eaten the entire pot and I never have seconds let alone thirds of anything.

The expression on her face told me to control myself, she thought I'd really eat the whole pot.

I still dream of that soup, need those tomatoes , never going to be able to make it without her garden.

Soups, my Hungarian MIL's specialty.
She made the best soups ever.
She once made tomatoe soup with tomatoes right from her garden.
I had a small bowl at her request before dinner.
I loved it, asked for seconds.
Then thirds..I couldn't stop myself, I could of eaten the entire pot and I never have seconds let alone thirds of anything.
The expression on her face told me to control myself, she thought I'd really eat the whole pot.
I still dream of that soup, need those tomatoes , never going to be able to make it without her garden.
-@Marilyn Tassy

We've grown our own tomatoes here at Fluffy Towers and they were super tasty.  Much nicer than the supermarket ones.   

The ones in Aldi etc are "Euro tomatoes" grown to confirm to whatever standards the EU has dreamed up to ensure conformity.  But they've lost the natural product in the process.   

At the end of last summer, Mrs Fluffy had managed to make many jars of preserved tomatoes to save for the winter.  Still better than the shop bought variety.

@fluffy2560

Yes I could add to your comment. I thought I sounded very harsh with my comments about eating out in Hungary. And I hope I did not offend anybody.

However I have eaten out in the UK and Amsterdam recently and the food was also quite poor quality too.

I dread the day they all serve up fried insects.

@fluffy2560
Yes I could add to your comment. I thought I sounded very harsh with my comments about eating out in Hungary. And I hope I did not offend anybody.
However I have eaten out in the UK and Amsterdam recently and the food was also quite poor quality too.
-@anns

I don't think you said anything offensive. Might be the food is the same, perhaps we've all become more discerning with the lack of eating out during COVID.

They love fried insects in places like Uganda.  Personally I didn't like the look of them. I remember them running around collecting them. They came out after a rainstorm.

They have a better selection of ready meals in Tesco in the UK than in HU.   

Haven't been to Amsterdam for years. Mrs Fluffy and I lived near there for a few years and the food was manageable but it was hardly innovative.  At the risk of repetition, some things are really nice - vlaai (rice pudding flan) and vla (custard) and the super famous frites met (with mayo).   

@fluffy2560
-@anns

It depends on where you eat. When I visited the UK (Wales) Every place that ate at was top notch. As for Amsterdam, I did eat at the Airport as I had 6 hours to kill. But when I ate there what do you expect unless you are in the business lounge?

@fluffy2560
-@anns

It depends on where you eat. When I visited the UK (Wales) Every place that ate at was top notch. As for Amsterdam, I did eat at the Airport as I had 6 hours to kill. But when I ate there what do you expect unless you are in the business lounge?
-@SimCityAT

I've been in lots of business class lounges.

Business class lounge is usually rubbish for food. Budapest lounge is particularly taking the mickey. Snack food.

Exception I've found is Emirates in Dubai. Excellent curries. Istanbul is not bad but it's hard to take advantage of with a short stop over and if you've just got off a very long flight, you're hardly likely to be really hungry.  They all stuff you with food all the time on the plane. It's easy to over indulge, bloat out and get stuffed and drunk on there. Very uncomfortable.  Good sleep is time better spent!

I thought the food served even on the short  flight from the UK to BUD on the old Hungarian airline Malev was fantastic for airline food.

Really overall airline food is just tatesless and bland. Guess they don't want WC trips by serving spicky dishes or too much fiber!

It's basically served too keep people busy and for the airstaff to do something.

I flew once first class but sadly no meal service on that late flight out of Dallas.

My brohter and his wife worked for the airlines and they had to dress up to fly if they wanted to use their flight perks.

I think I was bumped up to first class because I was on a job interview with the airlines and had to wear heels and a fancy dress suit.

My husband was bumbed up to first class from NY to LA on an overseas long haul flight.

I think it should happen more often to people.

I only know one person that would actually pay for first class and they only fly once every 40 years or so. I'm not willing to pay $10,000 for a flight.

Not sure if first class meal service is that much better then coach, probably is a bit.

Our old neighbor, he bought our home with his airline job. Must of paid well, he fixed the meals for on board flights from LAX.

Not sure he ever ate the meals he fixed. I know my brother told me of a co-worker with his airline job who got fired  for taking one little bottle of alcohol.

I guess they actually count every one of them.

I thought the food served even on the short flight from the UK to BUD on the old Hungarian airline Malev was fantastic for airline food.
Really overall airline food is just tatesless and bland. Guess they don't want WC trips by serving spicky dishes or too much fiber!
It's basically served too keep people busy and for the airstaff to do something.
I flew once first class but sadly no meal service on that late flight out of Dallas.
My brohter and his wife worked for the airlines and they had to dress up to fly if they wanted to use their flight perks.
I think I was bumped up to first class because I was on a job interview with the airlines and had to wear heels and a fancy dress suit.
My husband was bumbed up to first class from NY to LA on an overseas long haul flight.
I think it should happen more often to people.
I only know one person that would actually pay for first class and they only fly once every 40 years or so. I'm not willing to pay $10,000 for a flight.
Not sure if first class meal service is that much better then coach, probably is a bit.
Our old neighbor, he bought our home with his airline job. Must of paid well, he fixed the meals for on board flights from LAX.
Not sure he ever ate the meals he fixed. I know my brother told me of a co-worker with his airline job who got fired for taking one little bottle of alcohol.
I guess they actually count every one of them.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Looking back on it, Malev wasn't a bad airline. I was a Gold FF (Frequent Flyer) on Malev and I was sad to see it go. I lost all my points. I learnt a lesson about those points. Always spend the points as quickly as you can.  Never bank them because by the time you think you can spend them, the offers are all gone or there's nothing to trade as they've gone bust. I use my BA points to get immediate discounts on flights. Cash 'em immediately.

I never get dressed up now for planes. It's a mug's game. I'm usually in loose clothing like track suits, T-shirts and hoodies and slip on shoes. You just don't need tight posh clothing on a flight. Just makes you more uncomfortable trying to sleep in that stuff. One's ankles can swell up and you need to drink loads as being at altitude dehydrates.

Never been First Class but in Business Class on a plane like Emirates, you get a kind of pod with a table, screen and headphones. The seat is electric so you can move it about or lay it flat. But if you lose your phone down the seat, you're in trouble! They have to come and rescue it. You get better food and you get free WiFi which is quite interesting - you can be on Skype at 33000 ft but voice calls almost impossible.

Food can be quite good but if you've got a special diet, it's just random if you'll get something edible. I have to scrape off any sauces as they are so sugar laden they need to be avoided. The desserts are the same. So it's really picking at it to avoid the inedible bits. 

They do count all the bottles. If you're going to have some (as a staff member(, drink it on the plane! It's like modern shoplifting. I see them doing it in supermarkets. They eat the stuff in the shop and they don't try and get it outside.

I am fond of Csirke Csibész, a venerable chicken sandwich joint just a short walk from the Operaház. Small, crowded and nothing fancy: just perch yourself on a stool and wolf down your sandwich. But it's fun, has a lot of character, and the chicken is hot, fresh and delicious.

Plenty of good reviews for the place on Google Maps.