Updated 2 weeks ago

Looking forward to study in Sweden? What are the related formalities? Find out in this article.

If you’re looking for one of the best higher education systems in the world, look no further. Sweden is home to world-class universities and university colleges — 39 of which offer programmes and courses taught in English. Combine that with the fact that EU and Nordic citizens are exempt from paying any fees and tuitions, and you can understand why Sweden is such a magnet for international students. Here’s what you need to know if you’re considering studying in Sweden.

Do you need a visa to study in Sweden?

If you are an EU or Nordic national, you don’t need a visa or permit to study in Sweden. Once you are accepted at a Swedish university, you can move to Sweden and start studying right away. If your studies take longer than 12 months, you should then register at the Swedish Tax Agency.

 Good to know: For the duration of your studies, you also have the right to work part-time in Sweden to support yourself. There is no limit to how many hours per week you can work, but of course, you should allow enough time to focus on your studies.

If you are a third-country national, you’ll need to have obtained a resident permit before your arrival in the country. To be eligible to this permit, you must be in possession of a university registration letter for full-time courses requiring your presence on campus.

 Good to know: Once you complete your studies, you can stay in Sweden for up to six months while looking for work (third-country nationals will need to apply to extend their residence permit).

Educational System, Institutions, & Fees

As an international student in Sweden, you can study at a Bachelor’s, Masters and PhD level. As in most places, the academic year in Sweden is divided into two semesters. The first one (fall semester) starts at the end of August and lasts till mid-January, with a short break in December. The second one (spring semester), lasts from mid-January to the beginning of June.

There are two types of curricula in Sweden: full-time and part-time courses. Full-time courses consist of several linked modules. Each semester is dedicated to a programme, for a total of 40 hours a week. In general, a particular subject that has been studied during several weeks is followed by examinations (oral or written, laboratory, group work, special projects, etc.). Courses also include events such as meetings, conferences, seminars and group laboratory sessions. Students are required to participate in all these events.

Part-time courses, for their part, allow students to attend classes that are part of a complete program (freestanding courses). Therefore, the student is not entitled to the whole curriculum. Part-time courses can have a 50% or a 25% study pace and can combine online lectures with on-campus meetings.

 Good to know: To be considered a full-time student in Sweden, you must take courses that amount to at least 30 credits per semester. You have the option to take one full-time class or several part-time ones.

In Sweden, higher education is free of charge for EU/EFTA and Nordic nationals, as it is for Swedes. To qualify, you should be able to prove that you come from one of these countries through a valid passport, identity card, or another legal document. If you are a third-country national, you will have to pay administration and tuition fees to study in Sweden. The administration fee is 900 SEK and must be paid upon your application to Swedish universities through the official University Admissions website. For every semester you apply, you will have to pay that same fee.

 Good to know: Tuition fees range between 8,500 euros and 15,000 euros per year for most subjects. However, it is best to inquire with the university of your choice

Sweden also offers many scholarship opportunities to students from as many as 150 countries. These scholarships are funded by the Swedish Institute and several universities on a competitive basis.

Health insurance

Subscribing to a health insurance is highly recommended when moving to any foreign country. If you are an EU national, your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will suffice: with it, you will be eligible to health care service at the same rates as Swedish nationals.

If you are a third-country national whose studies are going to exceed a year, you need to be insured in your home country or purchase private insurance. In any case, your insurance needs to be valid for the whole period of your studies in Sweden, and it must cover emergency and medical care cost, as well as dental care, hospitalisation, and transport back home for medical reasons.

 Useful links:

Swedish Institute-Scholarships

Study In Sweden

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Swedish State Insurance Agency – Kammarkollegiet

Swedish Tax Agency

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.