Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Leaving Italy indefinitely while residency renewal pending

Hello,

I was wondering if any of your have had a similar experience. I’ve searched the forums and google and haven’t really had much luck.

My permesso di soggiorno is up for renewal in a couple of weeks. My student visa had already expired back in September. Due to long waits my appointment is late and now I will be going over the 90-day visa free limit. Recently, I have decided to quit my studies here and move back to the US indefinitely to attend to some family matters.

I’m just wondering if I need to report this to the questura? Also, would I get in any trouble for leaving and not coming back for my renewal appointment? Will this affect future visa applications?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks a lot!
See also
Just out of politeness I would contact them and your spot could go to someone else.
Need help with immigration or administrative procedures in Italy?
Get in touch with an immigration lawyer
Only thing is, the questura won’t even talk to anyone unless you have an appointment. And usually it takes a while to get an appointment but I plan on leaving soon.

Further reading