North vs South

Hello expats and locals alike ,
Please share your honest opinions on choosing to live in the north (Grand Bay and around) , versus the West (Tamarin and around) ?
Ignore traffic , as we will work from home.
Do you agree with the stereotype that the north has more of a French expat community , whereas the west has more of a South African expat community ?
Cheers.

hello, thank you for your question, that is exactly the same question that we are asking ourselves. We have to make a decision and we are still not clear about it.
I hope someone can help us.

success!

It is indeed a stereotype that has probably evolved over time with the influx of more and more expats to such an extent that Grand Baie / Pereybere / Pointe aux Canonniers area has a cosmopolitan mix of people from many different countries and not exclusively French. Likewise the Flic-en-Flac / Tamarin / Black River / La Gaulette area does not exclusively have South Africans, but maybe a slightly larger concentration of us.

One thing that remains is that that the West (and especially Southwards from Petite Rivière Noire to Case Noyale, La Gaulette and Le Morne) remain slightly quieter than the very busy Pereybere and Grand Baie.

There has undoubtedly been major development in the Tamarin area over the past few years (as also in the North) with new shopping centres, fast food outlets and residential estates and sadly the clearing of natural vegetation high up on La Tourelle mountain in Tamarin for the building of a residential estate.

If you prefer even quieter then best to go for the very South of the island (Savanne District) where you can find anything from millionaires' mansions on private golf estates to more modest expat houses near the ocean in the Telfair, Bel Ombre, St Felix, Riambel to Souillac areas, with unspoilt beaches like La Pomponette, Gris Gris, Senneville, Riambel, St Felix - however many of them not good for swimming with currents and Southerly Wind.
What you will not (yet) find in the South is a large shopping centre (the closest being in Tamarin, or in the other direction Beau Vallon Mall or Plaisance Mall or private hospital (Tamarin).

2 more alternative areas to seriously consider are:

1) Blue Bay / Point d'Esny / Pointe Jerome area between Mahébourg and the Airport. (best snorkelling on the island and thankfully it looks like no lasting damage from the 2020 Wakashio oil spill) closest shopping mall is Beau Vallon with a well-stocked KingSavers supermarket and for South Africans, a Spur, Panarotti's, Mugg & Bean, and ABSA ATM.
https://www.ascenciamalls.com/bovalon

2) The North-East of the Island, either within the Azuri Estate, or preferably the beautiful seafront residences in Roches Noires and Poste La Fayette (if you have a bigger budget, even Quatre Cocos or Trou d'Eau Douce).
Shopping: 2km to Votre Pote Age groceries, Roches Noires / 13 km from Azuri to Central Flacq (Super-U, Winner's, Dream Price, SaveMart) or 20km to Grande Baie / Pereybere (InterMart la Croisette, Super U zGrand Baie, Winner's Pereybere, Store 2000 Pereybere, KingSavers Goodlands)
Hospitals:
15km from Azuri to Aegle Clinic in Flacq;
20km to Clinic Darné, la Croisette
25km to New Private hospital under construction in the Riviere Seche area near Shangri La - Le Touessrok

Hi Ceries ,Thank you for such good info .
I am still in Cape Town,planning on the final move ,end of this year .cannot wait ,To much was going on .Have you moved already .
Wishing you a Wonderful Day .Talia

I thought Ceresiet summed it up well.  Having moved to the west - Black river in  November and having spent time recently in the Grand baie area, I can happily say I made a good choice!   The north felt like a tourist mecca with all that that brings.  The west feels like suburbia by the sea.  Quiet, families, easy shopping, medical on hand, no one after you to buy a necklace or book a boat trip.  That said, the north is by far a prettier area.  Happy hunting :)

Thank you very much for your response :)

I have just moved to Azuri, its so pretty around the North East and so quick to get to GB etc....worth exploring as less tourist locations.

Hello everyone thank you everyone for your in put above much appreciated.

I've moved from SA Knysna  been their for 29 years with property and Hair Nails Beauty salon.

I'm Mauritian citizen been here for 3 weeks. Looking into defferent area's before moving i thought Tamarin was the place as I'm thinking of doing the same bussiness as i had in SA with that been said i need to be somewhere that i can build a good clientele my bussiness ethics are high and of good reputation. Now I'm thinking Grand  Baie🤔i would need a stable clientele not relaying  on tourist as they come and go that would be a bonus in busy season times and pays for overheads when quite times arrive. I really need help on where to start up. Thank you for reading this post

Hello guys, are there any expats in blue bay? Really liked the area..