Important information to know before moving to mauritius

Dear Expat members,

I have been offered a job in Mauritius. Before moving I request all the natives and ex-pats living there to share the information that will be helpful in transitioning from my home country to Mauritius. It would immensely helpful to share specific tidbits, which they found out later after staying in the country and thought that it would have been great if they knew this information before moving. I would be grateful for all your replies.

Regards
Jack

Hi Jack,

Welcome on board!

I think that one of the most important things to pay special attention to is moving your belongings. Moving can be costly, so, try to bring along what is necessary  (some things can be bought here at lower costs). Order several quotes before you make your final decision.

Leaving the rest to members who have made the move.
When are you planning to come here ?

All the very best,
Anou

Thank you for your reply. I am expected to come in early November. The paper is underway. Can you suggest to me some of the good areas live? Also, what about the banking systems and mobile services?

You can choose to live near your workplace. In what region will you be working ?

Mobile services : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=941694

You might want to check with Chilli if they have preferential tarifs for international call to India.

For banks, there are so many things to say, it depends on your needs. Read the threads under the Banks and finance in Mauritius category of the forum. Lots of information have been shared by members.

Regards,
Anou

I will be working in Central Flacq. Also, how are the public transportation services, and do people prefer them or personal conveyance. Thank you, Anou for your replies.

In my opinion, you should get hold of something in Central Flacq itself. Central Flacq has all facilities (shopping, fast food, pharmacies,cinema, market, supermarket etc). Elsewhere would be too far and traffic can get hectic here.

Having your own car is practical, however, if you live close to where you work, it shouldn't be a problem. If you want to go to the beach, Belle Mare and other beaches are close by (10 minutes by bus or taxi). For around Rs25 - Rs30 you will easily find taxi services standby near the bus station to go to the beach and around Central Flacq. They usually wait for the taxi to fill up and charge low prices for regional trips.

Public transport transport is not a problem in that region but it is at around 1hr -1hr30 from Rose-Hill/Port-Louis.

In any case, make sure you visit before you decide where you would settle.

Best,
Anou