Close

Loneliness when you're abroad

:D

Each to his own situation. I have lived abroad in a non English-speaking environment for three years. It's been a struggle. I miss, as some have mentioned, the everyday chats. I do feel isolated and alone much of the time. It's a mental struggle.

curioussam :

Each to his own situation. I have lived abroad in a non English-speaking environment for three years. It's been a struggle. I miss, as some have mentioned, the everyday chats. I do feel isolated and alone much of the time. It's a mental struggle.

I imagine things can get grim for an Engish-speaking Expat in a new environment in some obscure town in Japan.

Maintain some sanity and boost your English-speaking environment for $9.99 a month, exploring over one million titles at amazon.com through Kindle Unlimited and the free Kindle Cloud Reader.

While you're at it, check out Amazon Prime for even more options.

The Amazon programs typically offer a one-month free trial.

cccmedia in the capital of Ecuador

I'm experiencing the same thing too here in china...no english speaking friend...language barrier...and i noticed they're not friendly in this part of china;shaoxing city

Thanks for the information. I already have a Kindle Cloud reader. Cheers!

It might be difficult but it's also fun once you start learning a new language

Arigato gozaimasu. Watashi wa ima nihongo o benkyoshimasu.

Hi Curioussam,

Since this is a English forum, please post in English.

Z

curioussam :

Arigato gozaimasu. Watashi wa ima nihongo o benkyoshimasu.

Gomen Kudasai. I wrote: I am studying Japanese now which, hopefully, helps me to get by, especially with the 'locals.'

Ah well, that'd definitely be the way to go about it.. though I still have to learn the local language having lived in Turkey for more than a year.
Good that you've got the language part rolling.

Good luck
Z

curioussam :

Gomen Kudasai. I wrote: I am studying Japanese now which, hopefully, helps me to get by, especially with the 'locals.'

Does anyone have the problem of changing location often? I've been an expat for a year and a half (if not counting studying 4 years abroad) and I've moved twice. I was in Malaysia for a year and now I'm in Czech Republic. I'm planning to relocate to another city in the next 6 months.

I do get lonely, even though I like my own company and there are many people around to hang out with, I crave the strong connection I have with very close friends. In Malaysia I made an amazing friend who I had to leave behind, although we of course stay in contact. It just becomes a lot harder when one is not staying in the same place for years and years.

Anyone in the same situation? What do you do? :)

I think its a matter of perspective. Being in mid thirties, I have gotten used to the fact that nothing is permanent, so I try to make the best of whatever I have at the moment... Or perhaps it is my approach that has affected the permanency of everything. I have recently started travelling a lot, but having spent majority of my life in not more than two places, I think I went through the same phase as you mentioned.

I guess at the end of day it is how we look at things expecting them to be in a certain way, rather then actually letting the reality sink in.

Okay, this definitely is one of my easy-level Sartre moments!
Z

imwillwerth :

Does anyone have the problem of changing location often? I've been an expat for a year and a half (if not counting studying 4 years abroad) and I've moved twice. I was in Malaysia for a year and now I'm in Czech Republic. I'm planning to relocate to another city in the next 6 months.

I do get lonely, even though I like my own company and there are many people around to hang out with, I crave the strong connection I have with very close friends. In Malaysia I made an amazing friend who I had to leave behind, although we of course stay in contact. It just becomes a lot harder when one is not staying in the same place for years and years.

Anyone in the same situation? What do you do? :)

Loneliness can be like a screen masking you when you are abroad and with no friends and then you find yourself doing odd things that hitherto you wouldn't have thought if doing. During my early days in the UK I used to stay away from my house after work for as long as I can because the loneliness was like darkness. ..I will be heading to Asia soon and I already foresee a repeat in the offing.

Where in Asia are you going? I can tell you that some Asian cultures are a lot more friendly and welcoming than the cold Europe. The best part is how relaxed many of these cultures are. There are also a big expat community. I'm speaking only of experience from Malaysia, but I assume many SouthEast Asian cultures might be similar in this regard.

Good Luck!

Will be in Malaysia, HK and Taiwan. I am looking forward to having a great stay though. Yes I have heard about the fabulous cultures that Asian communities are known for and also not forgetting the food!  So please tell me more about the Malaysian cultures please?

You can read about my time there on my blog imwillwerth.wordpress.com just go to the Asia category and it should be first up.
If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to answer them too :) It's a great country!

ralph1000 :

Will be in Malaysia, HK and Taiwan. I am looking forward to having a great stay though. Yes I have heard about the fabulous cultures that Asian communities are known for and also not forgetting the food!  So please tell me more about the Malaysian cultures please?

I lived in both Malaysia and Taiwan and liked both a lot due to the open and friendly people. Malaysia is easier, though, because of the language and the fact that they are an ethically mixed nation, so you won't stick out that much. But Taiwan has more to offer in terms of culture and nature (go to the mountains, man!).
Hong Kong is also a great metropolis, which I liked to visit (but never had a chance to live in). It's become more Chinese (even for me - and I'm married to a Chinese!) in recent years, but is, too, has great mountain areas.

It's important not to let that degree of homesickness prevent you from enjoying the travel experience.

Having worked and  lived overseas for a good number of years, loneliness and homesickness crops up from time to time.  Living in a culture, language that you weren't born into creates a loss, yearning. It's only natural. The depth of the loneliness depends, probably, on the situation in the country that you are in. There are good and bad points. Chin up as they say.Try to look on the bright side.

Expatriate health insurance

Free advice and quotation service to choose your expat health insurance

Save on your moving costs

Get free quotes from international moving companies. Compare prices and services.