Considering moving to bordeaux or near bordeaux area

Hi all, i am new to this forum but would appreciate any advice about moving to France.  I am a qualified nursery nurse and speak only english and my husband is a carpenter who has very little english.  We have 3 children aged 6,5 and 11 months old.  we have looked into the international school in bordeaux and i feel that it is important that they intergrate with other french speaking children but also want to do it gently.  I am sure they will be teaching me the language before i know it.  My husband and i are keen to learn the language and are going to get a tutor in to help us before we move. 

I am a little scared about leaving England, as it is all i have known and will miss my family and friends dearly but feel it would be a better life for myself and my family in the long run. 

Look forward to hearing from you guys soon

Francesca xxxx

Hi Francesca !

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand

Hi Francesca,

I made the plunge 8 weeks ago, after years of discussion with my husband. I took have an amazing family at home and a big group of friends that I do miss dearly, but after 8 weeks here, I think I can safely say that life will be better here and the children will have such a wonderful life, as will we.  I am lucky, my husband is French so I do have an advantage on an English couple coming here to live - and he has been wonderful and taken on all the French admin himself.  That in itself is probably a bigger hurdle than learning the language and I would definitely do the research on what you will need to do upon arrival.  There is a great book that will help you both, it's called "LIving and Working in France" by David Hampshire - I think it's worth getting.

We have 2 young children aged 2.5 and 6 months! So far, I haven't found somewhere for them to integrate and France will close for the summer shortly.  But supposedly there are groups for the little'uns to mingle with mini-Frenchies and I am starting my search for September now. We intend on sending them to French school, so they are fully integrated and we will have an English speaking family life, except when doing homework and French speakers are around.  I'm currently learning French, not from scratch and I'm desperately trying to find ways of practicing once the lessons stop.

It's a huge challenge moving to France, but a fabulous one!  Bordeaux is simply beautiful. We live just outside the Rocade (the ring road) in a tiny town called Cadaujac and have the bigger towns of Leognan, Villenave D'Ornon & Begles within 10min drive.  It's just so idyllic out here and I would thoroughly recommend the region for starting a new life.

Good luck with making your final decision.
So far, I haven't regretted mine, it's early days - but I can see just how happy we'll be.
All the best,
Vicki

Thank you for your lovely message.  It is definately looking more likely for us to move out in France but still unsure of which region.  My husband is more keen on normandy, brittany whereas i am more drawn to bordeaux.  We will have to make a few more enquiries and visit a few more times before we finally decide.  Will keep you updated with our decision.

thanks again!!!

Well it looks as though i am getting my own way and moving to bordeaux!!!  We are visiting in a few weeks time and going to look around at properties for sale.  I am starting to get really excited about the move, just need to learn the language now!

For my point of view living outside the city like Vicki is more ideal. Not only will you get more for your money out of the center of the city, you will also have the chilled out space of the country side. And really, a lot of people whinge about being so far away from Bordeaux when you live past the ring road but honestly I don't think 30mins (on a bad day?!) is unreasonable. There are a fair few Park and Ride parking stations so you can park your car and get the tram into town.

In saying all of this, I'm sure there are people that really love being in the thick of it. And if you can afford it, there are really some lovely properties around Mérignac, Cauderan and Pessac. And if you're looking for up and coming areas try La Bastide, Bacalan and Cenon.

Happy hunting!

Hi Frankie, and welcome to Bordeaux. I have also recetly arrived, although I know Bordeaux as I studied here here at Uni. You have taken all the right steps, as to integrate, French is an absolute. I have 2 boys 4 and 7, and we have put them directly into a French school. We know it will be tough for them, but we spoke to the techer who gave us many cases of foreign children coming in without speaking a word, and then 6 months later the kids were tutoring the parents.
I wouldnt be scared about leaving England. The one thing i found here in Bordeaux, is tha if you make the effort (esp in language) the people here are exceptionally receptive and willing to help......it must be the sun that does that.

The life style is very different, and you need to get used to seeing most thing closed between 12-2 and on sundays, nothing is open. People want to work to live rather than live to work, and they enjoy their time outside work.

I have been to many places in France, and the "new" Bordeaux is an amazing place, and really up and comming, plus some of the most spectacular beaches in Europe.

hope that helps

Olly