EU members

Hi All

Does EU members need to get a job in Malta to get residence card or they can stay without work?
Also can they apply for residence card from day 1 or need to wait for specific period of time to apply?

Thanks

Noah11 wrote:

Hi All

Does EU members need to get a job in Malta to get residence card or they can stay without work?
Also can they apply for residence card from day 1 or need to wait for specific period of time to apply?

Thanks

Normally you apply once you have lived here for three months and you are usually asked for
copies of bank statements to prove that, you also need a work contract or means to prove you can be self sufficient, you may also need health insurance.

Thanks Mo
I read posting from before on this form it says that you can apply right away and no need to wait 3 month even before getting a job
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=774005
that's why i am asking i am confused

I can only say about the experience we and friends have had.

Noah11 wrote:

Thanks Mo
I read posting from before on this form it says that you can apply right away and no need to wait 3 month even before getting a job

You asked the question with regard to EU members so presumably you have dual nationality or asking on behalf of someone else, if not then the rules are a little different and your application would be either as a TCN or as a dependent of an EU family member. ( Your profile says you are Canadian)
Best thing to do is ask in the Identity Malta office and as it was always the case that you could apply from day one but to ensure applicants really are residing here the staff have been requesting proof of residence for 3 months which is not possible unless you have been here for a while and is the limit you can stay before being considered resident anyway. There were a number of false applications often using false identity as well.
If you have dual nationality with a EUmember state you do not need to have a job and the various categories and their requirements are listed on the Ministry website and in the pinned post at the beginning of this forum. Health cover in one form or another is required.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Noah11 wrote:

Thanks Mo

You asked the question with regard to EU members so presumably you have dual nationality or asking on behalf of someone else, if not then the rules are a little different and your application would be either as a TCN or as a dependent of an EU family member. ( Your profile says you are Canadian)
Best thing to do is ask in the Identity Malta office and as it was always the case that you could apply from day one but to ensure applicants really are residing here the staff have been requesting proof of residence for 3 months which is not possible unless you have been here for a while and is the limit you can stay before being considered resident anyway. There were a number of false applications often using false identity as well.
If you have dual nationality with a EUmember state you do not need to have a job and the various categories and their requirements are listed on the Ministry website and in the pinned post at the beginning of this forum. Health cover in one form or another is required.

His partner is German, he is Canadian.

You can apply day one, on first apply you don't need proof of address etc. If you do not work you need to prove self sufficiency.

We have always had to take a copy of our lease.

GozoMo wrote:

Renewals yes. First time not needed. EU laws.

volcane wrote:
GozoMo wrote:

Maybe now but when we first came here you had to, since when have EU laws been taken notice of here.

GozoMo wrote:
volcane wrote:
GozoMo wrote:

Maybe now but when we first came here you had to, since when have EU laws been taken notice of here.

You're here under EU laws so clearly some are taken note off.

Several friends did their first apply without addresses just giving mine to receive the notice of card being ready. Been this way for years.

Thank you all i am sorry i know this topic has been discussed many times here but because i am confessed as every time i see different answer.
I have tried to contact identity Malta but they forward my e mail to E residence and still waiting for reply since end of December
I am Canadian and my wife is German and i heard that she will be applying and adding me and my son as her dependents but the confusion is if we have to wait 3 months or not or if she has to be working or not when applying for residency as many people saying EU member can live without prove of work or money in the bank
Hope to hear soon back from
Thanks

If you are working your employer can get you residency pretty quickly.

If you are self sufficient they will not process your residency until you can show you have been living here for a few months.  That means evidence of where you live, utility Bill's and bank statements with lots of transactions.  It took us 5 months and three visits before they would accept the application.  In the meantime, you have your eu passport so can stay.  You just wont have eresidency cards.  What will not work is doing a couple of quick visits and using the time between the visits towards the three months.  They have a big problem here with far more eresident cards issued than they actually have residents as it messes up things like elections.  So they now only want to give out cards to those who really are here.  The people in the office have discretion in this area.  Your obligation is to meet the requirements for residency and hand in the paperwork within 3 months.  Once you do that you have met your obligations  and can stay.

You will need money in the bank and private health insurance if you are not working, or if you have a job then your employer will provide insurance and a salary which must be high enough

What makes it confusing is that many foreign residents are from the UK and they do not need insurance as they are covered by the RHA.  But from germany you will need money and insurance.

Chances of getting a reply by e mail over here are slim.

Thanks guys
i will keep trying with them if not i will come for a visit and hopefully can figure everything out
they reply once before and hope they will do that again