Moving Together - Changing Address on Maltese ID Card

Hi,

I just changed my apartment and moved in with my girlfriend. I need to update my address on my ID card because I will apply for a driving license soon. On Identity Malta website, the procedure is explained as follows:

Holders of residence card who wish to change their address may submit an application at the Department by presenting Form ID 1A, a copy of the current residence card and a copy of the purchase/rental agreement of the new property.

The rental agreement is on my girlfriend's name. Do you think it will be a problem when I go there to apply for the new ID card?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

It's quite possible the URL you visited is out of date, they don't need this anymore - friends just applied from scratch and never needed to show proof of lease, they just put my address up so I get the letters for them

Recent EU directive changed this

volcane is correct.

On the 3rd June, 2016, the European Commission reported as follows:

‘……..According to Article 8 of Directive 2004/38/EC, EU citizens who reside in another Member State for a period of longer than three months may be obliged to register with the competent authorities.

The mentioned article of the Directive establishes an exhaustive list of documents which can be requested by the national authorities to that end.

A lease agreement and a copy of the identity card of the landlord are not included in this list.

Consequently, such a requirement would be contrary to EU law……'

And identity Malta website has been updated to reflect this minimised requirement too (before the usual pessimists chime in about how Malta doesn't care for EU law)

Thank you very much volcane and Fionn for your answers.

A couple of days ago, I called Identity Malta and asked about the required docs to change my address on the ID card. I also asked if it's a problem if the name on the lease/rent agreement is my girlfriend's. He asked me to bring the lease agreement plus a signed document by her stating that she approves that I will be leaving in that apartment.

@volcane: As far as I can see, on Identity Malta website, lease/rent agreement is still stated as a required document to change the address. Can you please send me the updated URL?

https://identitymalta.com/new/residencepermitsfaqs/

"Citizens requesting any changes to personal and/or address details contained within their identity card must present: (1) the Form ID 10 (duly filled in) and (2) their identity card."

https://identitymalta.com/id-cards/

mustirik wrote:

Thank you very much volcane and Fionn for your answers.

A couple of days ago, I called Identity Malta and asked about the required docs to change my address on the ID card. I also asked if it's a problem if the name on the lease/rent agreement is my girlfriend's. He asked me to bring the lease agreement plus a signed document by her stating that she approves that I will be leaving in that apartment.

@volcane: As far as I can see, on Identity Malta website, lease/rent agreement is still stated as a required document to change the address. Can you please send me the updated URL?

@mustirik - Re: Excerpt from your post - ‘…..He asked me to bring the lease agreement plus a signed document by her stating that she approves that I will be leaving in that apartment…..'

Reply: 1) If you are a non-Maltese EU citizen, this requirement is ‘contrary to EU law' as the European Commission confirmed on 3rd June, 2016.

2) Given that the internet link that you reproduced - https://identitymalta.com/new/residencepermitsfaqs/ - is dated 30th November, 2015, it is likely that the Maltese authorities have been forced to comply with the rule of EU law in the meantime.

3) In this regard, in its reply of 3rd June, 2016, the European Commission continued:

‘…..Furthermore, according to the information available on the website of the Maltese Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs, the submission of such documents is not required.

I invite you to visit the following website and the detailed information contained in the relevant forms available for the registration of EU citizens and their family members: https://identitymalta.com/citizenships-expatriates/  ………'

4) Accordingly, the ONLY specification of lease agreements in the Identity Malta website - at present - is in respect of Non-EU citizens applying for an ‘e-Residence Document'.

Source: https://www.identitymalta.com/citizenships-expatriates/

5) @mustirik.

Under the circumstances, I recommend you politely invite the Identity Malta / ‘e-Residence Card' official to specify where in Identity Malta's regulations it states that a non-Maltese EU ‘e-Residence Card' applicant is required to “bring the lease agreement plus a signed document by his/her partner stating that he/she approves that his/her partner will be living in that apartment.”

ID 10 seems to be for citizens.
Try this
Residence Permit Documents FAQs

30.11 2015

Frequently Asked Questions
Application for a residence card by EU/ EEA/ Swiss nationals residing in Malta

I need to renew my residence card, which form is relevant to my application?
Is there an application fee?
Do i need to apply in person?
Where do i have to present my application?
What documents are needed when changing my address?

Holders of residence card who wish to change their address may submit an application at the Department by presenting Form ID 1A, a copy of the current residence card and a copy of the purchase/rental agreement of the new property.

Hi everyone,

Last week, I went to Valletta to renew my ID card to change the address on it. Basically, they required:

- My original ID card
- Copy of rental agreement
- A paper signed by the person whose name is on the rental agreement stating that he/she confirms that I am living in that address
- Form 1A

They took my ID card, took a new photo and now I am waiting for the confirmation letter to my new address in order to collect the new ID card.

Hi,

Do they return to you the old ID the time the new is being processed and printed?
How much time it takes the renewal process?

Thanks!

No they don't return your old eResidence card, they will give you a receipt for your application which takes the place of your original on a temporary basis. My wife's took about 2 weeks and mine took about 4.
All we took was our passports, current eResidence card and the lease agreement. They did everything else.

As of 2019-01-05

They take:
- A brief form that they give you to fill up (it is not the one on the web*, so don't waste your time).
- Present eID card
- A photo of you (with their camera)
- A signature

They give you:
- A paper (in colour) with your photo, signature and details (can be used as temporal ID card)

* It is never the one on the web (just my experience)

You have replied to a post from over a year ago.

OK,  a Gozo version. as of last week.

Take your new lease document, Passport.
The ladies filled forms for us.
Given white Receipt and we retained old e-residency cards till new arrives.
That was it, took 10 minutes.
Ray