UK issue EHIC renewal

Anyone on here recently renewed a UK issue EHIC and if so how?  I understood you can not do it online and you have to telephone but none of the numbers I have tried from government websites work!

Hi again.

UK issued EHIC cards are only valid until 31 October 2019, then they are no more.  To answer your specific question, details are on the UK Gov website; this link will take you there. 

The 2 numbers they advertise are 0191 218 1999, (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm), or they have a helpline on 0300 330 1350.

Please let us know how you get on.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

Hi again.

UK issued EHIC cards are only valid until 31 October 2019, then they are no more.  To answer your specific question, details are on the UK Gov website; this link will take you there. 

The 2 numbers they advertise are 0191 218 1999, (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm), or they have a helpline on 0300 330 1350.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

It is not true that the EHIC is only valid until the 31st October, 2019, it is valid until the UK actually ceases to be a member of the EU or if it expires beforehand.
Also none of the numbers on UK Gov. Websites are working

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Cynic wrote:

Hi again.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

It is not true that the EHIC is only valid until the 31st October, 2019, it is valid until the UK actually ceases to be a member of the EU or if it expires beforehand.
Also none of the numbers on UK Gov. Websites are working

Hi again.

You're correct re the expiry date - apologies.  I just called the 0300 330 1350 number, they answered straight away.

Cynic
Expat Team

I will try that number tomorrow as it was not one of the ones on the various websites I tried this afternoon, thanks.
The 0191 218 1999 number does not exist according to the telephone system here in Malta!

F0xgl0ve wrote:

I will try that number tomorrow as it was not one of the ones on the various websites I tried this afternoon, thanks.
The 0191 218 1999 number does not exist according to the telephone system here in Malta!

I just tried that number you gave; I got an out of office hours answer machine for the EHIC department.

F0xgl0ve wrote:

Do you live in the UK or Malta?

SimCityAT wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

As you can see from my profile and the post above, I am in Malta.

morning
  you need to ring 0044 191 218 1999.
We renewal ours in January, it came within a week and is valid till 2024, cannot remember which number I rang, but looking at website would have probably been 00 44 191 218 1999.
Have check letter which came with  it they are quoting phone number 0044 191 279 0575 it also states cannot renew online if live abroad.

hope this helps

F0xgl0ve wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

I might be missing something, but how you have a EHIC issued in the UK when you don't live there? Surely you have EHIC issued in Malta?

SimCityAT wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

I might be missing something, but how you have a EHIC issued in the UK when you don't live there? Surely you have EHIC issued in Malta?

If you have a Certificate of Health Entitlement for Malta (and I believe for any other EU country) as a result of using the S1 form registered in the UK (Only if in receipt of UK State Pension or other qualifying benefit) then you can apply for a UK issue EHIC card. At the time we registered using S1 5 years ago you are also are entitled to full NHS cover when in the UK, even for elective treatment, but I believe that is no longer applicable to new applicants.

Fusspot wrote:

morning
  you need to ring 0044 191 218 1999.
We renewal ours in January, it came within a week and is valid till 2024, cannot remember which number I rang, but looking at website would have probably been 00 44 191 218 1999.
Have check letter which came with  it they are quoting phone number 0044 191 279 0575 it also states cannot renew online if live abroad.

hope this helps

Glad you put this post on as it made me see where I was going wrong, phone number works but my memory didn't as whilst I used the 44 country code I forgot the 00 International dialling code, so sorry folks.
Got it done this morning but took 38 minutes on the phone as we had to change the addresses on the S1 registrations because we had not informed them when we moved to a new address, didn't realise we had to change it at the UK end as well, as we had already changed it on the Certificate of Entitlement here.

UK S1 form holders (so, those in receipt of a UK state pension) still use the UK EHIC card.

Cynic wrote:

UK S1 form holders (so, those in receipt of a UK state pension) still use the UK EHIC card.

But you must apply for the EHIC separately after registering the S1. (there are one or two other UK benefits that also allow you to get health cover using the S1 as well as State Pension) and presumably you can then also apply for the UK issue EHIC.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Cynic wrote:

But you must apply for the EHIC separately after registering the S1. (there are one or two other UK benefits that also allow you to get health cover using the S1 as well as State Pension) and presumably you can then also apply for the UK issue EHIC.

Probably, I just quoted what it said on the NHS website.