Exploring Options

Some time in the next few years I will be retiring, and am considering moving to Mexico.  My undergraduate degree is in Classical & Romance Languages, so I don't expect language to be a problem.

I don't want to be on the coast, and I want somewhere that has an expat community, but hasn't been over-run with gringos, someplace with a good artistic/cultural life; someplace large enough to have amenities, but small enough for a sense of community.

I had been thinking San Miguel de Allende, but I have heard that it has become over-run with gringos, and is very pricy.  Can anyone suggest somewhere similar to SMA, but less pricy and less of a gringolandia?

I am sure I will be lambasted for suggesting this but undoubtedly you have heard of Lake Chapala. Many will say that Lake Chapala is overrun with gringos and if you came here during the winter and only stayed in Ajijic, you would probably come to that conclusion. However, it is very easy to live just outside of Ajijic (within 15-45 minutes) and be totally immersed in Mexico. There is a lot going on here, culturally and artistic wise, and there is much more in Guadalajara ( only 1 hour away). We recently had Cirque de Sole here and Andre Bocelli is coming to Guadalajara in December. PM me if you want more info on the area. My favorite saying is "There is much more to Ajijic than just Ajijic."

Thank you.  What are some good towns in the area other than Ajijic?

So much depends on you. What you like and don't like and how big or small of a place you want to live in. The town of Chapala is popular with those who want to integrate more into Mexican living and culture yet it is only 15 minutes from Ajijic. It's a decent sized town and because it is the municipal seat, holds the biggest fiestas.
I always suggest that you visit both San Miguel and Lake Chapala and maybe a few others like Guanajato, Leon, Aqua Calientes, etc.
There are simply too many and varied places in Mexico so use Google to make a short list of 6 or so and spend a couple weeks to a month in each.
I'll be happy to be your tour guide if you ever make it to Lake Chapala

I think it would have to be a city with at least one university.  And at least one church with a good pipe organ.

Elkhound wrote:

I think it would have to be a city with at least one university.  And at least one church with a good pipe organ.

After you screen for environmental wants, there will be a number of places that have Universities and churches. So I suggest thinking about what else is important to you to narrow down the list.

Away from the coast, cultural life, a small expat community (but not a place that has been overrun with Yanquis and other Gringos), low cost of living.

Elkhound wrote:

Away from the coast, cultural life, a small expat community (but not a place that has been overrun with Yanquis and other Gringos), low cost of living.

So it looks like you will have to search for some small town near Guadalajara, SMA or  Mexico city. You might want to look at Coatepec or some other small cities close to Veracruz. Not coastal, but small and not hot tourist spots. You might have to travel a bit to avoid the coast and still have universities.
It also depends on what you mean by the coast. Are you talking about beach areas or just anywhere with a hint of the ocean.
For instance, I live in the capital of the state which is a small city on a bay, not a hot tourist spot, lots of natives most of which do not speak English, and several Universities.

Thanks.  Away from the coast means that.  Humidity is not my friend.

If you can handle some heat...
You should also check out Merida area. Merida is a beautiful city close to the beaches that is full of history & culture with many things to see and do. If you are into the arts, architecture, gastronomy with less tourists you will enjoy it. The downtown is simply beautiful to walk around and explore.
It is a laid back peaceful area.

Heat is OK.  Not humidity.

Don't let the naysayers tell you that SMA is overrun with gringos. Yes, there are a lot of gringos but the majority of them are isolated within their own community. If you choose to learn the language and avoid the inclination of many expats to “change” their host country in to the same environment they left behind, I think you will find a very genuine Mexican town in SMA. Also Guanajuato city has many of the qualities you stated but you will be more dependent on Spanish language skills there. Also it's said to be even more hilly than SMA. Good luck in your quest

What SMA is overrun with is wealthy Chilangos (Mexico City residents) who use SMA as a vacation and weekend getaway location

Hello, Elkhound
I'm Jan from Guanajuato.  Just retired from the symphony orchestra here after 23 years, and plan to stay right here! Sounds to me like Guanajuato would suit you well.  I can vouch for the pipe organs, with two churches I know of that have beautifully-restored Baroque organs.  There's also an annual organ festival here, not to mention the International Cervantino Festival with arts, theater and music from around the world.  The university gives the town a vibrant energy, and the cultural scene is lively year around.  The climate is high desert, low to moderate humidity, located in the central highlands.   Though there is some mining activity, the main livlihood of the city centers on tourism, the university and, as the state capital, government installations, essentially no manufacturing.   It's 40 minutes from an international airport and 50 to the large city of Leon where you can visit all the big box stores and malls. Has a small to medium number of English-speaking expats, but you'll also hear French, Japanese and a variety of other languages . Many of the expats are former teachers and college professors who have an interest in integrating into the community rather than living walled-off from it.  Here's a link that might interest you.  ( And yes, I'm  still unashamedly in love with the place!) 
https://internationalliving.com/countri … to-mexico/

People, do yourselves a favor, invest in a trip to SMA to find out first-hand & on your own, whether the city is a good fit for you or not.  I have found that everyone has their own opinion.

Plan on visiting different neighborhoods and talking to several real estate agents, as well as to locals about their particular experiences.

Hi to all, like "Melanie_In_Mexico" says, come and visit Mexico, travel, talk to locals (expats and Mexican locals), explore, take notes, visit again before deciding where is best fit for yourself.

My wife and I travelled during 14 years across Mexico before deciding on the Riviera Nayarit were we now reside permanently as tenants not owners.

So, to each individual...his path.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC

I don't want to be near the ocean.  I don't like the beach.