Close

Moving to San Miguel, good idea or bad idea?

My wife and I are planning to come to San Miguel for the first time to explore the possibility of moving there on a permanent basis. Any advice or helpful tips would be appreciated.

Hello jbills1953 and welcome to Expat.com :cheers:

While waiting for members who have already made the move to tip in, I invite yo to check out the san Miguel de Allende Forum to gather some infos from experiences shared.

You may also want to check out articles from our living in Mexico guide to better prepare your expatriation project.

Wish you all the best

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

I moved to San Miguel one year ago and it's a magical city.  Unfortunately it has become too popular since it has gotten so much publicity.  It is still magical but bring money! 

To buy a house he near Centro figure on paying a starting price of half a million US.  Rents have gone up even more than home prices because many regular full time rentals have been turned into short term vacation rentals and some have been turned into boutique hotels.

Don't get me wrong, I still love San Miguel and it's a great place to retire because expats are friendly and the city welcomes them.  Just come check it out with a realistic open mind.
Kate :)

We are moving to SMA in August. We purchased a house outside of Centro ( too expensive and too noisy) in the Independencia area. It is about a 20 minute walk to Centro and is a mostly Mexican neighborhood with several expats in the area, as well. The house was $215k USD and is two bedroom and a den with a courtyard. The closer you are to Centro the more expensive the house. There are many neighborhoods to choose from, depending on your lifestyle and your budget. Check out www.point2homes.com for listings. Restaurants can be expensive or cheap, but the food is always good! Taxes are low $225 a year on a home. Come for a year and rent and explore, that is the best way to know if this is the right place for you!
Good luck in your search!

What are rents like in SMA area? We do not plan to buy, we own property here in Canada and will use the income to fund our lifestyle until pensions kick in in 8 years. Renting seems better also in cose we don't like SMA area for whatever reason

Advise???

It's a very good idea to rent at first. My wife and I have travelled Mexico for 10 years  (RVing) then 4 years flying before moving as permanent residents in La Peñita de Jaltemba. We are now considered as Non-residents for Revenue Canada (only pensions revenues, no proprety, no stocks) thus paying a taxe rate of 15% but will be much less once we apply for article 217 on the NR income tax return reducing it to about 8% my wife and 10% for me.

Also, you should visit other areas for making sure SMA is OK for you.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Dear KleeRodgers,

What is your rent / cost of living budget?

Do you speak Spanish? If so, you have a better chance at finding more affordable rentals.

Have you come down to Mexico to explore different city options?

I highly recommend it over going on what others say on blogs like this one. People have their own opinions on everything.

I have lived in SMA for 7 years now and in other cities in Mexico. Rents (mostly in USD), groceries, and services in general are higher than other cities in Mexico. If you are on a tight budget, SMA might not be right for you.

Hope this helps!
Melanie

total budget for my wife and I is $3,000 a month, we have no debt, so this is money we can actually spend to live on

You can live well here on $3000 / month. Shop at local Mexican markets for flowers, vegetables, fruit, meat.

I am Mexican and I have been here 10 years with Canadian husband and a 12 year old daughter.

thanks for the nice reply  :)

Melanie_In_Mexico :

Dear KleeRodgers,

What is your rent / cost of living budget?

$3,000 a month

Do you speak Spanish? If so, you have a better chance at finding more affordable rentals.

Poco

Have you come down to Mexico to explore different city options?

No

I highly recommend it over going on what others say on blogs like this one. People have their own opinions on everything.

Agreed, but I do have friends that live in SMA and love it, others live in Lake Chapala and also love it

I have lived in SMA for 7 years now and in other cities in Mexico. Rents (mostly in USD), groceries, and services in general are higher than other cities in Mexico. If you are on a tight budget, SMA might not be right for you.

$3,000 a month CAN

Hope this helps!
Melanie

The link you have provided only has Toronto Canada homes

Expatriate health insurance in San Miguel de Allende

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in San Miguel de Allende

Moving to San Miguel de Allende

Find tips from professionals about moving to San Miguel de Allende

Travel insurance in San Miguel de Allende

Enjoy stress-free travel to San Miguel de Allende