Moving to Cyberjaya from India

Hello Everyone,
I have around 11 years experience in Oracle platform. Currently working as permanent employee with IBM. I am planning to settle in Cyberjaya, Malaysia for 2 years contract. Please help to clarify below concerns:

1. For foreigner employee can work as permanent employee or can work in contract model only?

2. How can we extend employment pass after 2 years validity.

3. Job market for ERP Oracle professional in Malaysia.

4. Monthly expenditure for a couple.

5. Can dependent work in malaysia.

6. How life changes working in contract environment.

7. Is it good option to leave India and relocate Malaysia.

8. Financial year cycle ( is it Jan to Dec or April to Mar)

9. Work culture

10. Any others suggestions.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Regards,
Wasim

sunny2015 wrote:

Hello Everyone,
I have around 11 years experience in Oracle platform. Currently working as permanent employee with IBM. I am planning to settle in Cyberjaya, Malaysia for 2 years contract. Please help to clarify below concerns:

1. For foreigner employee can work as permanent employee or can work in contract model only?
Both

2. How can we extend employment pass after 2 years validity.
The company can offer an extension
After 3 years if salary is RM15k upwards its possible to apply for Talentcorp work permit https://rpt.talentcorp.com.my/

3. Job market for ERP Oracle professional in Malaysia.
There are jobs, check Jobstreet, Jora, Robert Walters etc.

4. Monthly expenditure for a couple.
Anything from RM3k upwards depending on rental level and lifestyle. Check COL on Numbeo for details

5. Can dependent work in malaysia.
They have to apply for a job, be selected, and change the DP for EP (There are very few professional areas that employ foreigners (if a Malaysian can do the job then no foreigner can be hired).

6. How life changes working in contract environment.
I've heard under outsourcing it can be frustrating and pressured

7. Is it good option to leave India and relocate Malaysia.
Only if the job offers a salary of 30-40% more than current.

8. Financial year cycle ( is it Jan to Dec or April to Mar)
Jan-Dec
28% tax while tax-non resident i.e. have to be in Malaysia for 182 days each year.

9. Work culture
Depends on company

10. Any others suggestions.
Starting a job Jan-June is best because of the tax situation. It means only 182 days paying 28% non-resident rate. If starting 3 July onwards impossible in the first year so stretches over to the following tax year. https://www.pwc.com/my/en/publications/ … oklet.html Years can be linked (Page 6.) which results in retrospective recalculation of tax to the resident rates.
Check this guide for immigration details https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/TC-ES … r-2017.pdf

Cyberjaya is quite a long way from KL and rather quiet. You may want to consider working elsewhere and Penang has the best lifestyle.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Regards,
Wasim

Thank you for your quick response !!

One more questions for not meeting 182 days for this year, I am planning to join the company on 1st August 2018. I am married will I will exempted any tax or have to pay 28% on my total earning per month. Example: If salary is 10000 then tax deductible will be 2800. Please confirm. Thanks in advance.

28% on net earnings after EPF, etc. each month until July 2019. There are no tax-free allowances when non-tax resident either.

Do read P.6 of the PWC brochure linked above - otherwise you could continue paying 28% even longer next year.

Thanks for sharing the details.
So if I am paying 28% till July 2019, when I file the tax return with proof that I was in country more than 182 days next following or preceding year. Will I be eligible for tax refund?
Please let me know. Thank you

Regards,
Wasim

You will be refunded the difference between non-resident and resident rates.

Thanks for sharing the information Gravitas. Much Appreciated :)