Hi, fellow singaporean

hi,
i'm a singaporean , new in ho chi minh city. would like to make more friends here (regardless of nationalities).. i can speak english and chinese.

Hello YYK

Welcome to HCMC. Nice to meet you. I'm Annie Vietnamese Chinese, also speak vietnamese, english and chinese. Let's share life's experiences here in HCMC or just for a drink sometimes if you wish.

Cheers

Hi yyk,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I'm sure you will make lots of new contacts on the site.

All the best,
Christine

yyk wrote:

hi,
i'm a singaporean , new in ho chi minh city. would like to make more friends here (regardless of nationalities).. i can speak english and chinese.

Hi YYK,

Im singaporean too. Hope to see you soon. Are you working there of just leisure?????

Hi guys,

I'm from sg too. Would love to meet up with fellow sg in HCMC.

sgfriend wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm from sg too. Would love to meet up with fellow sg in HCMC.

Another Singaporean!:lol::lol: Nice to meet you......

I think I don't want to go there also cannot...:D:D

Hi Alip,

How long have you been in Hanoi?? Hope that you are adjusting your life well in Vietnam. I'm new here in HCMC, its my 3rd week.

hey guys, I'm a Singaporean too and i'm headed there in September 2011.

Out of curiosity - where do you guys live?

hi there...
r u going to work here? then maybe its better to stay near ur wkplc... btw, i'm staying at district 1 (the city centre).. hey keep in touch, k..
cheers,
yong

yyk wrote:

hi there...
r u going to work here? then maybe its better to stay near ur wkplc... btw, i'm staying at district 1 (the city centre).. hey keep in touch, k..
cheers,
yong

yup, i'm going to be working here. my company wants me to stay at Sky Garden in district 7 because quite a number of my suppliers are staying there too, so they believe that i can forge stronger ties with them if we're neighbours of sorts... ...

kenmura wrote:
yyk wrote:

hi there...
cheers,
yong

yup, i'm going to be working here. my company wants me to stay at Sky Garden in district 7 because quite a number of my suppliers are staying there too, so they believe that i can forge stronger ties with them if we're neighbours of sorts... ...

Good business planning. Can meet them out for dinner or coffee too...:D:D

Hi Yyk,

Welcome to HCMC!

I have a group of vietnamese girls who are very keen on making friends regardless nationalities :). Most of us can speak English. However, none speak Chineses :(.

If you are interested, just email me through this site. we can gather for coffee, movies or show you around the city. All of us are working in D1 and living around there.

Nice weekend

Sam

CAN SHOW ME WHERE SINGAPORE FOOD???

Hi rambo4!

Please avoid using caps lock when posting on the forum.

Thanks and regards
Armand

u can try the food court at parkson le thanh ton street.. the stall near the korean food stall sells sg food like laksa... there is a supposed sg restaurant in dist 7 too... but i havent tried both

yyk wrote:

u can try the food court at parkson le thanh ton street.. the stall near the korean food stall sells sg food like laksa... there is a supposed sg restaurant in dist 7 too... but i havent tried both

The SG restaurant in district 7, i heard that it's within the Sky Garden compounds, is that correct? I know it sounds lame for me to even think of eating Singaporean foods when i'm surrounded by amazing Vietnamese and French foods, but once in a while, a taste of home would be goooood.....

Out of curiosity - what do you guys do on the weekends here?

i hav a boring lifestyle... wakeup-marketing- tv-lunch-window shopping (nothing much to buy though)-gym-rest-sports (usually badminton)-tv/dinner-more tv-bed....

Hi Yong,

There's actually quite a lot of good food in & around HCM.

In D1 if u go to pham ngu lau u get one of the best pho bo I've tasted. Try the pho bo chin (beef kuay teow with lean beef) the restaurant name is called pho quynh almost at the end of pham ngu lau at the junction of the traffic light.

For supper try the banh mi at the junction of de tham & bui vien. There's an old lady selling there at night on a push cart just beside anz atm/pizza hut. She speaks english (very rare). Tell here u want to "hai muoi ngin" special.

Then close to the same area at the back street of the popular gossip disco there is a supposed "Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice" the boss is sg married to a vn. Pretty decent chicken rice compared to Duxton hotel which is also sg owned but at a fraction of the price. Ate at duxton once cost be USD60 for 2 ppl. Freaking ex & taste sucks. The sg chicken rice restaurant also serves good double boiled soup. The pig tail soup is my fav. I eat there at least twice a week. They can speak cantonese there.

For mutton curry go to an do plaza, district 5. Not within the mall itself but located in a small lane walking distance from there. Shop name called cari an do. Most unique tasting curry I've ever had. It's halal. Owner is muslim vn another 1st.

Com Suon (pork chop rice) & Oc (street side shell food) is also a must try.

For shopping try Saigon Square no rip offs & good quality stuff unlike Benh Thanh market. It's located at the end on Ton Duc Thang street near Lush Club/Ly tu Tuong. Great place to shop mostly all fixed price with everything price tagged. Can bargain a little if u buy more.

Would be more happy to take u go makan & shopping if u are not afraid to ride pillon on my motorbike. Other sg-ians are also welcome to join. It beats eating alone.

Hue1964 wrote:

Hi Yong,

In D1 if u go to pham ngu lau u get one of the best pho bo I've tasted. Try the pho bo chin (beef kuay teow with lean beef) the restaurant name is called pho quynh almost at the end of pham ngu lau at the junction of the traffic light.

For supper try the banh mi at the junction of de tham & bui vien. There's an old lady selling there at night on a push cart just beside anz atm/pizza hut. She speaks english (very rare). Tell here u want to "hai muoi ngin" special.

Then close to the same area at the back street of the popular gossip disco there is a supposed "Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice" the boss is sg married to a vn. Pretty decent chicken rice compared to Duxton hotel which is also sg owned but at a fraction of the price. Ate at duxton once cost be USD60 for 2 ppl. Freaking ex & taste sucks. The sg chicken rice restaurant also serves good double boiled soup. The pig tail soup is my fav. I eat there at least twice a week. They can speak cantonese there.

For mutton curry go to an do plaza, district 5. Not within the mall itself but located in a small lane walking distance from there. Shop name called cari an do. Most unique tasting curry I've ever had. It's halal. Owner is muslim vn another 1st.

For shopping try Saigon Square no rip offs & good quality stuff unlike Benh Thanh market. It's located at the end on Ton Duc Thang street near Lush Club/Ly tu Tuong. Great place to shop mostly all fixed price with everything price tagged. Can bargain a little if u buy more.

Would be more happy to take u go makan & shopping if u are not afraid to ride pillon on my motorbike. Other sg-ians are also welcome to join. It beats eating alone.

wow Hue!!
that's a lot of very good and very useful information!
i'll definitely be sure to check out the places and the foods that you mentioned... ...
I'll be moving over to HCM from the 1st of Sept onwards so if there any other tips from you, that'll be great!

yyk wrote:

i hav a boring lifestyle... wakeup-marketing- tv-lunch-window shopping (nothing much to buy though)-gym-rest-sports (usually badminton)-tv/dinner-more tv-bed....

hahahahhahah
at least it sounds very healthy... ...
you get to go to the gym and play sports....
how's the cable tv over there? ;p

not too sure abt the others but my apartment has the usual like nhk,hbo, star, cnn , bbc , n cna n my fav taiwanese channels... (abt 30+ channels in total including some french, malay channels..)... but i heard tat u can get more if u subscribe ur own... mine is provided by apt... ultimately, it all boils down to which ur fav channels r exactly if w/r they provide them here in vietnam...??

Hue1964 wrote:

Hi Yong,

hi, thx for the info ... i was taking out my miserable map n trying to search for these places... i still dun know the names of the streets... i only can remember the name of the street where i live.. i live at le thanh ton btw...  how long hav u been staying in vietnam? u seem to be a pro liao...

yyk wrote:

not too sure abt the others but my apartment has the usual like nhk,hbo, star, cnn , bbc , n cna n my fav taiwanese channels... (abt 30+ channels in total including some french, malay channels..)... but i heard tat u can get more if u subscribe ur own... mine is provided by apt... ultimately, it all boils down to which ur fav channels r exactly if w/r they provide them here in vietnam...??

actually that sounds quite comprehensive already
as long as i can get the international news channels, sports channels and movie channels, i'm a happy camper... ;p

to: kenmura,
haha.. u sure?? i am not a fan of our  local tv last time.. but after staying overcs for a few yrs, i am sure missing channel u like hell... and even our straits times.. i tell u.. tat is like heaven here, at least , to me.....
life gets boring here after the initial phrase of excitement cos there is "nothing much" to do here really.. many hollywood movies r not shown here... not as many n not as often as sg... life here is not so convienent.. no mrt..  buses r (huh?? when? where? how??) ... so many motorbikes (NOT following traffic rules).. u  really need to try to get the best deal u can b4 u cum here.. for ex, can u try to get ur apartment to include cable tv, internet, n utilities? if u hav a driver, wat abt parking charges? does ur apartment include pool n gym?? does it offer any shuttle bus service to any shopping point? does it provide pest control service? u can negiotiate on these terms.. in other words, do try to make ur life here as comfortable as u can cos it cant beat home...

yyk wrote:

to: kenmura,
haha.. u sure?? i am not a fan of our  local tv last time.. but after staying overcs for a few yrs, i am sure missing channel u like hell... and even our straits times.. i tell u.. tat is like heaven here, at least , to me.....
life gets boring here after the initial phrase of excitement cos there is "nothing much" to do here really.. many hollywood movies r not shown here... not as many n not as often as sg... life here is not so convienent.. no mrt..  buses r (huh?? when? where? how??) ... so many motorbikes (NOT following traffic rules).. u  really need to try to get the best deal u can b4 u cum here.. for ex, can u try to get ur apartment to include cable tv, internet, n utilities? if u hav a driver, wat abt parking charges? does ur apartment include pool n gym?? does it offer any shuttle bus service to any shopping point? does it provide pest control service? u can negiotiate on these terms.. in other words, do try to make ur life here as comfortable as u can cos it cant beat home...

wow... now you're making me worried about the move hahhahahahha
i understand... i can imagine missing local tv, local papers and worst or all, the local food. but the tradeoff is that we have a whole new country to explore in terms of culture and food i guess....

i've already gotten a rental apartment
cable tv and internet are included but utilities are separate
my landlady is very nice and she was very accomodating
my apartment in sky 3 has access to a pool and gym, but must pay for usage. quite cheap though.
it has a shuttle bus service to D1.

anyway, i'm looking forward to meeting you guys in real life and then i can glean more experience and solid advice from all of you

kenmura,

Hope you can enjoy your stay in Vietnam while working. Its a fascinating country, I would say.:):)

hahaha,
enjoy exploring vietnam,.. do i really sound so mean (?!!).. but these r the usual terms to ask abt when i move...  yes, i actually went househunting n ask them to show me the diff tv channel programmes they provide.. (tats bcos tv is an important part of life for useless pple like me, u see...) while hubby ask more abt their facilities...
this is a real fact of life here in hcmc.. there is less recreational/ entaintainment facilities ard n life is definitely less comfortable here, unless u r a backpacker or sometg n willing to tahan anytg then fine... but if u r doing this cos it is part of ur job n u r willing to giv it a go,... pls come prepared...

lostsouls wrote:

kenmura,

Hope you can enjoy your stay in Vietnam while working. Its a fascinating country, I would say.:):)

i agree that it's a fascinating country.
so lostsouls, any luck in procuring a job that allows you to be stationed here yet?

yyk wrote:

hahaha,
enjoy exploring vietnam,.. do i really sound so mean (?!!).. but these r the usual terms to ask abt when i move...  yes, i actually went househunting n ask them to show me the diff tv channel programmes they provide.. (tats bcos tv is an important part of life for useless pple like me, u see...) while hubby ask more abt their facilities...
this is a real fact of life here in hcmc.. there is less recreational/ entaintainment facilities ard n life is definitely less comfortable here, unless u r a backpacker or sometg n willing to tahan anytg then fine... but if u r doing this cos it is part of ur job n u r willing to giv it a go,... pls come prepared...

hahahah yong, you don't sound mean - and don't say that you're useless.

actually in terms of househunting, my boss was the one who singled out Sky Garden in Phu My Hung for me to stay at because we have several suppliers who are staying in the same compound so all i needed to do was to find an apartment within the compound that i feel comfortable with.

yong, you can befriend my partner and maybe all of us can go grocery shopping / makan together ;p

haha... i already have tat in mind.. looking forward to september... :D

Add on.... you can get great SG food in Saigon Square on the 3rd floor. there is daily ST paper available for your reading pleasure.  Meals are not cheap there but reasonably good if you really miss SG food! Dont forget Saigon is previously PARIS or some said it is HK more likely... ahahaha.  Just enjoy on the discomfort and you will be ok. it is an unbeatable experience and memory tho....

guys will surely like the kopitiam here.... young xiao mei mei in tight tops and bottoms and those translucent 'can see cannot see'... guys, agreed?? Saigon = city of angels from dawn till dark!

Beer is dirt cheap, cigarette is cheap cheap too.....  everything is at least 30% to 50% cheaper then in SG.  lodging is good and cheap.. everything at your door step if you chose it right.

So what are you waiting for??  act quick before it become 1st world ... now still 3rd world. like 1950's although i m not from that era..... ahhaha

esoong4822 wrote:

Add on.... you can get great SG food in Saigon Square on the 3rd floor. there is daily ST paper available for your reading pleasure.  Meals are not cheap there but reasonably good if you really miss SG food! Dont forget Saigon is previously PARIS or some said it is HK more likely... ahahaha.  Just enjoy on the discomfort and you will be ok. it is an unbeatable experience and memory tho....

guys will surely like the kopitiam here.... young xiao mei mei in tight tops and bottoms and those translucent 'can see cannot see'... guys, agreed?? Saigon = city of angels from dawn till dark!

Beer is dirt cheap, cigarette is cheap cheap too.....  everything is at least 30% to 50% cheaper then in SG.  lodging is good and cheap.. everything at your door step if you chose it right.

So what are you waiting for??  act quick before it become 1st world ... now still 3rd world. like 1950's although i m not from that era..... ahhaha

hahahahhahaha
you referring to Saigon Square one, not saigon square 2 right?
I'll be sure to check out the singaporean restaurant there. didn't even know there's a sg restaurant.

Cheap booze, cheap cigarettes... good good good :D

Can't wait to go over next thurs!!!

why nobody recommend him the lion city restaurant that serve all Singapore food :D

kenmura wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

kenmura,

i agree that it's a fascinating country.
so lostsouls, any luck in procuring a job that allows you to be stationed here yet?

Hi, no luck yet but doing some small business here. Thinking of going back because cant earn much:(