BOOK CLUB

Hey,

I'm looking to join some sort of English expat book club!
Would really like to discuss some good literature.

Anybody know of any book clubs in Saigon?

I do not know :sosad:

I love book too. How about opening a book club for yoursefl?

I'm also interested :)

Hi! Im actually interested in joining a book club as well. If you are gonna start one, can you count me in?

Hello every body!

There are some friends who want to join the book club; therefor I wonder if we can start a book club on this week right away? I will find the place and we discuss about the time together?

What kind of literature? Aren't book clubs composed of people with a similar literary interest? :)
I like modern fiction for the most part, post colonial is my favorite. I'd be very interested in reading any fiction from nominees of literary awards. Written or translated into English.

That sounds like a great idea! Count me in!

I like reading detective novel and kids fiction. We (maybe) do not have the same interest, but we can share our opinions about the genre of literacy that we love to each other. That's why we need to discuss about it, isn't it?

Some types of books I have no interest in, like a biography or harlequin romance !

but  detective and kids books, i like those =D  I haven't read many detective novels and I'd be happy to learn more about that genre. I agree that that's often the purpose of a book club, to be introduced to things you wouldn't normally chose yourself.

So i think if all our interests align fairly well, I'd like to move forward =D

I propose a meet up at a cafe to talk things through? Any takers? I see 3 of us active in this thread, I might have a friend or 2 that's interested

That sounds great! I'm usually a horror, mystery/thriller fan but I do enjoy a book or two that is of a different genre. We can definitely arrange a time to meet and discuss.

Sound great! How do you think about Orchid Cafe - 47,  Street 2, Hưng Gia 1 (R4), Tân Phong Ward, Distric 7, HCM city? Or do you have any idea about the place? I have free time from 3 - 5 (or 6) p.m every Saturday.

Can I join too? :)

I usually read literary fiction, pop psychology, and Asian fiction, but I think we can share what we have recently read and why we liked it, or recommend books to each other. Also, maybe we can agree on a book that all of us would read and discuss that.

These are just suggestions. I'm open to anything. :)

Orchid cafe sounds good, I live a couple of minutes from it. :D

Tung

The more the merrier I say!

Not sure where this cafe is, google maps is being troublesome right now =D  I'm moving to Tân Bình so I would prefer something more central on occasion; I'm not opposed to driving to Q7.
I have to go to Cambodia this weekend but otherwise I'm available at this time on Saturdays. Sundays before 530p and Monday, Friday early evenings would also work for me.

I can pop in this Saturday at 3pm to meet and discuss but I will need to leave by 4pm as I got a birthday party to attend. I am okay though for you guys to continue the discussion without me afterwards and u can just keep me updated. If not, I would only be free two weeks after. So sorry about that. Or would you like to propose a different time? The venue is fine with me though. Very close to my place.

Of course you can join us! You can also share some of your ideas with us!

Hi all, maybe we will meet each other at that place (D7) for the first venue, and we will talk more about that, if someone has new idea.

See you there at 3 p.m - Orchid Cafe - 47,  Street 2, Hưng Gia 1 (R4), Tân Phong Ward, Distric 7, HCM city, on this Saturday (24/10/2010)

I'am eager to share book with you.

Oops! But which sign to know each other?

Hey! Just wanna confirm the meeting today at 3pm. Are we all still on with it?

Noone confirms yet  :/.  How do we do now?

Sorry..didn't check my email in the last two days. I can meet up but I will have to leave by 4pm. Is that ok? I think there is one more member who would join. If not, u and I can discuss the basis of it first and keep the others updated. Or even to just meet up and get to know each other. How does that sound?

Ok, it's sound great. I will be there and wait dor you to discuss about books. Maybe you know me :D !

HAhaha..that sounds great! Maybe I would! If not, look for the girl with the short hair. See u later!!

I'll be there at three. :) I will stand outside the place. Drop me a message if you guys are there.

Awesome! See u then

Okay, so we had our first fun meeting and we decided on Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami. The next meeting will be 2 weeks later on the weekend. The time and place can be discussed, I have no plans for those yet.

If you can't find the book on the internet, then just drop me a message. :)

Also, I think there are some Murakami books in FAHASA at District 1 but I'm not sure which ones.

Hi all, for those who want to read Vietnamese version of "Sputnik Sweetheart", the name of the book is "Người tình Sputnik".

Although the Halloween has passed, here still in creepy silent atmosphere.  :/

I'm eager to share my thought of this book  :(

Where are you, the host?

Ahh... I moved, went on a visa run to Cambodia and have been furnishing my apartment. but im back now and things have calmed down! =D   

I want to join! Should I start reading this book or wait for the next? haha

Well I was thinking to make it on Sunday afternoon around 5pm if that's okay for you guys.
And the venue is still in question but it is definitely going to be in District 1. I am open to any suggestions. :)

Of course you can start reading it. :) It's around 200 pages so it is not that long.

I have a meeting in d1 at 630p, so that would work for me. I doubt I'll get much reading done between now and Sunday however xD

District 1 is Ok. There are many cafétéria in D1, but to find one quiet silent place is not easy. Highlands coffee and the coffee house, which one is better? Or any ideas?

I was thinking about Things cafe. It is relatively close to Ben Thanh market.
This is the address: 14 Tôn Thất Đạm, Quận 1, TP. HCM

So Things cafe at 5pm Sunday, is that okay?

I will be there at 5p.m  :D

See you guys there!!

Hi guys,

We had an interesting conversation about that book yesterday. We shared our thought of the content and then a little bit of our life (afterlife). Do you believe in afterlife?  :D

"Sputnik Sweetheart" is a good book (especially for those who feel lost, lonely, and ... (just my opinion)).  :top:

We will have another reunion next 2 weeks for a children's novel by American author E. B. White named "Charlotte's Web".

There are some classic cafeteria on Tú Xương or Ngô Thời Nhiệm street (District 3), one of them will be our venue  ;)

Have a nice day

Dear all,

I will go hometown for two days on next weekend (21,22/11/2015); therefor we can not have a meeting as mentioned.

Should we meet right away on this Saturday (14/11/2015) or later (maybe on 28 or 29/11/2015)?

Do you guys have any ideas? (please)

Hope everything is alright with you. I can meet on the 28th but it will have to be after 1pm as I got a meeting at school that morning. If not, 29th is fine for me as well.

Hi Jessie,
Thank for your caring, we will meet each other on 28, 29/11.😄

I'm okay with 28th and 29th. Sorry for the late response.

Hi Mary
You can join a book club in Decibel bar in D1. I will send you the link of that book club. They hold every month