Translation

Need help in translating these sentences from Vietnamese to English.... many thanks

Tôi đã hiểu bạn ! Bạn đã nói dối với tôi rất nhiều rồi đó

1ngừoi đàn ông yêu tôi !
Còn tôi chẳng yêu họ
Tôi yêu người khác ! Người ấy chẳng yêu tôi !
Tình yêu của tôi như hình tam giác
Bốp tang nác cả trái tim tôi

Em ước gì trái tim em là đá ! Con người em là sất như vậy em không biết đau từng ngày ! Mỗi khi nhớ 1 ai đó ! Bao nhiều năm nay em cố gắng gì anh

Google Translate gives this:

"I understand you ! You lied to me a lot

Some men love me!
And I do not love them
I love others! He does not love me
My love is like a triangle
I kiss my heart

I wish your heart was rock! You are so handsome I do not know how to hurt every day! Every time I miss someone! For many years I have tried him"

Do not trust Google Translate. This is a job for Ciambella, if she is not busy.

Adrian Chow wrote:

Need help in translating these sentences from Vietnamese to English.... many thanks

1ngừoi đàn ông yêu tôi !
Còn tôi chẳng yêu họ

Em ước gì trái tim em là đá ! Con người em là sất như vậy em không biết đau từng ngày ! Mỗi khi nhớ 1 ai đó ! Bao nhiều năm nay em cố gắng gì anh

I guess you found this on your girlfriend online block or dairy or somewhere else and you want to know the meaning. So I avoid to give you any comments on that.

ralphnhatrang wrote:

Actually this is one of the better efforts by Google that I have seen.  It kind of falls apart in the last few sentences but overall it makes sense.  Idiom is the problem for Google.  In languages like French where they have a lot of data, the translations of idiom are better.  The way Google works, it should get better with time if bilingual people give them feedback.  Hopefully they also have some 2d generation Vietnamese programmers on staff.

Contem talk wrote:
Adrian Chow wrote:

1ngừoi đàn ông yêu tôi !
Còn tôi chẳng yêu họ

I guess you found this on your girlfriend online block or dairy or somewhere else and you want to know the meaning. So I avoid to give you any comments on that.

Why even bother making a reply if you don't want to help.

" Why even bother making a reply if you don't want to help "

..envy inspires..?       ..wishing I was 'so handsome'...  (sigh!)      :sosad:

colinoscapee wrote:
Contem talk wrote:
Adrian Chow wrote:

1ngừoi đàn ông yêu tôi !
Còn tôi chẳng yêu họ

Why even bother making a reply if you don't want to help.

There will be two stories one is on here and other we don't know yet, so  we don't the perpues is use this translation.

Contem talk wrote:

There will be two stories one is on here and other we don't know yet, so  we don't the perpues is use this translation.

This too requires translation.   :/

Not really.   It's called self-perpetuation...     :huh:

Bazza
No need to feel envious for not being so 'handsome', as Google completely mistranslated the sentence and the word 'handsome' is not in the original text.  The woman is having a whinge about her own situation, nor commenting on some one else's good looks.

Cold comfort for me.  I enjoy a good whinge.

We will await Ciambella to find true meaning     :thanks:

I am looking for a translator? from Vietnamese to English, do you know someone? thanks

Yes, I can recommend someone who is excellent. She is Vietnamese but she lived with an American for 4 years when she was younger, so not only is her English excellent, but she also understands western needs and concerns as it pertains to translation. She currently translates for a medical office, but it depends on your needs, if they are full time, part-time, or on assignment. She has a great personality too. Let me know.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Adrian Chow wrote:

1ngừoi đàn ông yêu tôi !
Còn tôi chẳng yêu họ

I finally understood you! You told a lie with me a lot.
A man who loves me
But I don't love him
I love another man but that man doesn't love me
My love is like a triangle shape
And it makes my heart broken

I wish my heart was a rock and I was a metal so I will not feel hurt everytime I miss him. I have tried for you for many years (FYI “gì”= “vì”= because -  sound of people in the West of Vietnam like Can Tho or Ben Tre..)

Regards,
Ni

ralphnhatrang wrote:

Bazza139 wrote:

We will await Ciambella to find true meaning     :thanks:

I didn't see this silly thread until today. 

Who the heck would write like that in Vietnamese?  It seems to me the writer C&P selected sentences from some dime store romance novel and called it her own because there's no connection between the 3 paragraphs, and no connection between the next-to-the-last and the last sentence in the 3rd paragraph either.  If she were one of my students back when I was teaching Vietnamese Lit., she would've never passed the year end exam, I'm telling you.   Such tommyrot!

Anyway, the translation that makes the most sense to English speakers is like this:

"I understand you now!  You've been lying to me too many times, haven't you?

"There's a man who loves me but I don't love him back [because] I love someone else who doesn't reciprocate my love.  Such love triangle has shattered my heart!

"I wish I could turn my heart into stone and my body into iron so I wouldn't feel the pain of missing a certain person every day.  So many years I've been trying for you."

That last line is a sentence fragment.  I translated it as "for you", but that may not reflect the writer's meaning.

BTW, Hapiness mentioned that the word "gì" is the phonetic spelling of "vì" according to Southern Vietnamese dialect (the entire South Vietnam, not just the West).  I don't think she's correct.  The South Vietnamese people change the letter v into d or g in pronunciation, but they never change its spelling.  They do know how to spell, they just don't know how to pronounce correctly.  Proof points: the two words "với" and "vậy" were spelled with v, not g.

Thus, this "gì" could have been anything -- a typo, an interruption in the writer's train of thought, or she decided to end it right there because she couldn't find anymore taradiddle that called out to her shattered heart.

Ciambella wrote:

....or the writer couldn't find anymore taradiddle that called out to her shattered heart.

Not only have you added to our understanding of Vietnamese, at least in my case, you have added to our English vocabulary with "taradiddle."

THIGV wrote:

Not only have you added to our understanding of Vietnamese, at least in my case, you have added to our English vocabulary with "taradiddle."

I'm married to a Canadian-born English-parentage.  Mom-in-law and grandma-in-law spoke pure British English.

“BTW, Hapiness mentioned that the word "gì" is the phonetic spelling of "vì" according to Southern Vietnamese dialect (the entire South Vietnam, not just the West).  I don't think she's correct.  The South Vietnamese people change the letter v into d or g in pronunciation, but they never change its spelling.  They do know how to spell, they just don't know how to pronounce correctly.  Proof points: the two words "với" and "vậy" were spelled with v, not g.

Thus, this "gì" could have been anything -- a typo, an interruption in the writer's train of thought, or she decided to end it right there because she couldn't find anymore taradiddle that called out to her shattered heart”

Hello,

Your English translation is really nice and I learn some English vocabulary about this.

Regarding “gì” and “vì”- just show my experiences of being a local here for 30 years that: not many people write right vocabulary in Vietnam. Normally, they will write words following their pronunciation. Your example about “với” and “vậy” is not related to the meaning concept of “gì” and “vì”. I can tell you a more relevant examples : “ Trời ơi” and “chời ơi”- they are the same meaning but written differently by Vietnamese living in the different areas. “Tr”- People in North and Neutral of Vietnam usually pronounce rightly and “Ch”- People in South and Southwest of Vietnam usually pronounce and “Trời ơi” is right not “Chời ơi” in writing.

Just for your information.

Regards,
Ni

Thank you for the info.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on that issue. 

BTW, I do know the difference between all the dialects.  I was born in North Vietnam, grew up and educated in South Vietnam (Saigon), spent my first year as a high school teacher (9th grade, Vietnamese Literature and French language) at a public school for girls in Central Vietnam, and the other 3 years iat a coed private school in Saigon (11th grade, same 2 subjects) before leaving the country.  I'm familiar with both the writing and speaking of all 3 regions.

Ciambella 09 June 2018 19:00:01 Report #19
   790 posts Vung Tau
THIGV :
I'm married to a Canadian-born English-parentage.   Mom-in-law and grandma-in-law spoke  "Pure British English"

So the myths persist..?    "Pure British English" (does) exist..?

I swoon with Hapiness...     :idontagree:

Bazza139 wrote:

So the myths persist..?    "Pure British English" (does) exist..?

I swoon with Hapiness...     :idontagree:

Yes, it does because Grandma said so.  Or at least, it did, as both Grandma and Mom are no longer with us.  "Choose-day" and "Wed-ness-day" were the correct pronunciation for Tuesday and Wednesday.  "Arse" was fine to use in polite company.  Only Grandma and Mom said "we're from home", "I'm not received today", or "public house", amongst other terms, while living in a Southern California beach town.

Grandma spoke English, cooked English, and stayed English -- did not become a US citizen even after 40+ years living in the States.  She also didn't pay tax either even though she made a lot of money from her investments in England, Canada, and the US.  We said, "Not paying tax is against the law, Grandma."  "It's nobody's business what I do with my money, not you, not the taxman."

It's true, not one taxman from any country ever came knocking.

Maybe she was actually Scottish.

Be Grateful you are the product of such Wisdom

We are          :thanks: