Do's and Don'ts

Greetings:

I plan to travel to Alexandria in May, I'm from the USA and I would like to learn about the culture there, what are some of the do's and don'ts for women. I don't want to come off as rude and ignorant or offensive. Any advice is greatly appreciated.:)

Thank you I appreciate that. Yeah I'm looking forward to coming to Alexandria actually my boyfriend lives there so that is why I'm making the trip.:)

don't wear short skirts and tops (in some areas it is ok, but in general not), don't give your boyfriend money, don't pay for rent/food etc.

BTW: maybe you can change your gender in your profile, now you have an avatar of a man and your name is Carla.

hey thanks for the heads up! :)

I hope you fall in love with this wonderful city as I did the first time I went to visit my now husband.  I am muslim so its easier for me but here are a few basics.  Sleevless tops are a no but short sleeves ok, at least 3/4 length trousers/longer skirts are best, if going to mosque remember to remove shoes before going in woman's entrance (yes, we are seperate), cover from neck to feet and please please cover your hair and ears.  Always accept hospitality graciously (Egyptians think we dont eat in the west!!!!) and ignore tightening waistbands. lol.  Egyptians love to laugh and will joke often.  Haggle in markets.  Its fun once you get used to it. Avoid places you are told not to go as Egypt still in a state of flux and there are dangers like everywhere else.  Close your eyes and pray in in a taxi.  Its okay once you get used to it but scary to begin with. lol.  Always say please and thank you (goes without saying).  If swimming you will notice no women in western costumes so cover up otherwise you will get hassle. Most of all embrace the culture and enjoy it.  It is a wonderful wonderful city.  Have fun.  Ma Salaam.  PS.  Abayas are cool, comfortable, keep you covered and sunburn away as well as being modest, just in case you wondered.  lol

Thanks for all the information i'm just soaking everything up..i'm really excite about my trip and i'm actually thinking about moving to egypt!:)

Hi Carla
I am moving to Egypt next year - I have visited this wonderful country 4 times a year for the past few years.  I have been to some beautiful countries across the world but nothing 'grabbed' me quite like the Egyptian way of life and it's fabulous people.  I met a truly lovely man and he knocks the socks off the western men I know! I have never travelled as far as Alexandria so don't know the area at all but I wish you well and hope that your 'thinking' turns into 'doing' - Egypt needs and deserves our support right now - and I for one am delighted to bring all my friends here regularly on holiday so they fall in love with it too - I am moving to Egypt myself next year and will buy an apartment that will allow me to have a constant stream of visitors from England!

Go for it girl but there are certain things you must take into account.  Medical insurance is a must. Even as a wife you must be there a good number of years before you become an Egyptian citizen.  I would advise against buying anywhere til you see if you actually like living there full time.  It is a totally different lifestyle and for me as a Muslim it was much easier than some.  Also be aware that there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there, selling flats which are not actually registered and therefore dont actually exist.  Use a good lawyer.  Learn Egyptian Arabic.  Thats a must.  If you go out of mainstream tourist Egypt many people do not speak English, in fact most of my husbands family speak little or no English.  There is also shopping.  You need to know what things cost!!!!  lol.  You may think things are cheap in Egypt but that is only due to exchange rate and once you only have Egyptian pounds to live on and your savings are gone you will see a difference.  lol.  I do not, by any means, wish to put you off coz I love Egypt with a passion.  Residency can only be applied for when you are there so things are not as simple as you may think.  lol  Do your homework first.  If you are going to be with a man, be aware of laws.  No living in sin, at the very least you need an orfi marraige, something not recognised officially as a marraige under Egyptian law.  Also be very aware that although my marraige has been a great success there are unfortunately, still many young men marrying to get a visa to another country that end in tears.  Don't rush into anything.  Be sure and as I say..............do your homework first.  Good luck.

Thanks Alexscot for your reply - I have been researching the culture and etiquette for 2 years but always welcome advice from people living the life - experiences count for everything and often saves others from making expensive or dangerous wrong choices.
I will only buy after living renting for a while, I am aware that as I have only ever stayed in hotels it will be very different and I may not like that! I am adventurous and certainly not naive but I really want to ensure that I fit in and don't offend - I am reading the Qu'ran, not because I want to convert but I want to understand the people I will be living among, and I am learning Arabic slowly - unfortunately it seems that the Egyptian sense of humour can be a bit wicked and so far I have learnt many bad and rude words!
Anyway, when I am settled I would hope that there will be an opportunity to meet some of you on here as this site has been invaluable to me, I may not post often but read all threads with interest.  Many thanks to all of you here - keep up the great work.

Good lass.  I wish you every happiness. You reminded me of a younger me there.  I only bought a Quran to find out about Islam, I have books on all sorts of religions and come from a very multi sect family.  Dad and Mum Christian, Sister Bhuddist and me Muslim. lol.  It made so much sense to me and our parents brought us up to make our own educated choices and respected them. Thus Islam.  I think you are a smart girl and will weigh things up and make up your own mind but do always listen to all sides before doing so and trust your instincts.  If you feel something is not right or too good to be true.........it likely is.  lol.  The cost of living here is high and all is not like it is when on holiday. Most of us are poor. lol  It is also very difficult to get a visa for an Egy[tian spouse to visit UK.  Thought I should mention that too.  lol.  Be prepared for a lot of running backwards and forwards and form filling and the inecitable handing over of money to officialdom.lol  May Allah Bless You and Keep You Safe.

Thanks alexscot - made me smile though when you said 'a younger me' - i became a grandmother 3 weeks ago!I can't transfer my skills there - I work in the criminal justice system and manage a women's refuge and other domestic violence services so it will be a total change for me job wise too - but hey, I'm always up for a challenge!  And I am definitely not coming to Egypt to marry - if that ever happens it will certainly not be an Orfi marriage, all or nothing for me!
I have heard from several people how hard it is being a single western woman in Egypt so if anyone has any advice or tips to make it easier I would be really happy to read them!

I live alone in Egypt, and my experiences have been varied. While on the one hand it is empowering to be able to fix minor problems at home without the need of a man, there are some instances where an Arabic speaking male is needed (and I learned this when a work colleague had landlord problems). For instance, I had to go to the police station to get a report about my mobile phone, and the day I went with a female Egyptian friend, and the day I went with a male Egyptian friend were very different in terms of action taken.

In general, I think it depends on how you carry and handle yourself. I've had taxi drivers who try to take me for a fool, but when I've stood my ground and let them know I am more clued up than they think, they back down, and one even gave me a hint of  salute, which I read as 'you are  one heck of a woman!' LOL. Yes I am! Being assertive goes a long way, and someone I know beat the *beep* out of a guy who inappropriately touched her - he was so shocked that he could do nothing but apologise. Again, be assertive. :)

I will be starting a 'Surviving Egypt' series on my blog, to highlight some of these things, but you sound like a strong woman, and I think you will survive.

in general egyptians are very friendly and accomodating and welcomes everyone..but if anyone offers orfi marriage i would say no to it, as alot of the time it is a way to protect the man and cover up sinful actions, plus alot of the Egyptians will frown upon it and it is illigal and haram in the sunni eye's ( they would not do this to an Egyptian girl, so why do it to a foreign girl)...if they were serious about you and had any respect for you, then they would not do anything sinful before marriage and they would want a legal marriage only...but as mentioned above be very aware of the intentions of some men, as even though they may appear to be 100% into you and want only legal marriage, it can be that they are only after a spouce visa out of the country, alot of them are charmers and pull at the heart strings...it is a difficult one, as not all men are bad or have bad intentions of course...and there are good and bad in all countries with men and women but unfortunately these things do happen..but also there are many genuine marriages between Egyptian men and foreign women....so you must think with you're mind not you're heart!!! and use common sence and instinct..also dress respectfully and act respectfully in public...that doesn't mean you have to dress from head to toe..but dress respectfully

also do not stand in the street talking to any man that comes to you...for example if you are waiting for a micro and a man starts talking to you, ignor him...men in a shop or taxi or the doctors etc it's ok to talk to them if it is to do with what you are in there for...unfortunately foriegn women can be looked upon as easy  even if they are not and thats what attracts some men...
and alot of places be ready to tip them...also if you are walking along the street and you see a mens cafe and the tables and chairs are on the pavement...cross the road or do a wide birth untill you have gone past it...this is being respectful...

I agree with your comments above although many young Mulsims forget that in Islam, entering into any contract which is deceitful or fruadulent is illegal. And that included marriage!!!!! On the other hand, I have been married to my husband for many years and still he treats me like a young newlywed and I him!!!!! Lol. 

Many people ask me what I do all day but as a Mulsim woman married to an Egyptian my days are filled with shopping, cooking, housework,prayer and most of all family.  Family is very important here and we are constantly visiting each other.  Also the neighbours pop in to me or I to them.  There is always tea on the hob!!!!Life is NEVER dull.  And when we do get 5 minutes we, like anyone else, like to put our feet up and relax with the tv! When I moved here I became more Egyptian than I am Scottish. lol.

Thank you for all the wealth of information on here..it truly has been very useful....so far things are going good I had to postpone my trip but things are working in my favor and I like everyone's response to my questions. Yes, I understand there are good and bad people everywhere so I have my eyes "wide" open for sure..lol!!

you are going to visit egypt to have fun.....there`s no war her,,,,,,,chicago is more dangerous than here...so dun think you are going to visit Afghanstan :)

The only war in Egypt is trying to cross the road..............use underpass if possible..........its crazy.lol