Preparing for the possible event of death while in Vietnam?

I would welcome any information or being pointed to a good source information about this. I am thinking of cashing in my life insurance policy as a sort of 'safety net' for myself. I have no dependents at the moment, and I am 53 years old. I have not yet made a will or preparations for the event of my death, which could happen while I am here in Vietnam as well as anywhere else, as I have no immediate plans to return to my home country, and accidents or illness could happen, so I could die in Vietnam as well as anywhere else, as far as I know right now...

At any rate, I seem to recall reading somewhere that it can be prohibitively expensive and cumbersome with all the red tape and bureaucracy involved to have one's human remains shipped back overseas (my mother said she would want to do that if I died, although she may have changed her position on that), as opposed to being cremated here first and then doing whatever with the remains, sending them back home or scattering them into the sea, or whatever, according to the will. Does anyone have any info or good sources of info for these kinds of costs, or how to plan for possible death while in Vietnam?  Maybe I should just go and see some kind of trustee or lawyer specialized in this, so in that case, can anyone recommend a good lawyer or trustee for this kind of thing?

You do not write where you come from, so it is not possible to give anything like accurate information on costs. I can only let you know that over twenty years ago it cost a workmate $AUD16,000 to have her son's body returned from China to Australia. A 2kg box of ashes costs a lot less.

Dont even think about dying, just get on with having a ball of a time in Vietnam, maybe meet a lovely VN woman who will take care of all that you worry about. Celebrate being alive, hopefully pain free and with good health. Im 68 this year, thats what Im doing

The body is biodegradable a local cremation and spread the ashes on the garden.

Plant a fruit tree on top and you'll continue to produce fruit for years to come.

Indeed! A very worthy continuation of usefulness of a used up commodity.

How are you planning on cashing in your life insurance policy unless you fake your own death?

In fact, if you haven't got any dependants, why have you even got life insurance?

So he can leave it to fund the growing of an orchard where his body is buried?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm from Canada, but I don't think it's worth the trouble to ship my body back (probably much more expensive than to Australia), so I would just like to get cremated here in the event I die here. It's probably a good philosophy to enjoy life while I can here in Vietnam, and hopefully I can meet a nice VN lady, but one never knows when one's time is up.  I bet everyone knows about someone who  has been killed or seriously injured in a traffic accident, for example, or I could get bitten by a nasty mosquito and catch malaria or whatever ^^ - and so I guess I just want to get my ducks in a row, just in case, and have a 'contingency plan' for that in place is all. Cheers, and Happy New Year to all.

#3 has it right. Get on with enjoying life.

Only 53? That thing has a lot more miles left on it. I would be more concerned about preventive maintenance, tuneups, banging out dents than worrying what the dismantlers at the junk yard will do with it.

Definitely cash in your death insurance policy. Take care of numero uno.

Unsolicited Tet (new year's) resolution suggestions:

1. Start new hobby that is social. Photography in your neighborhood. Early morning walks to the same park every day. Help teens or young adults practice English, etc.  (meet in park or coffee shops...)

2. Become a regular at 4 coffee shops and 4 restaurants/quan ans. For example, every other day go to the same place for breakfast at the same time. Alternate 2 places for breakfast. Same for 2 dinner places and 4 morning/afternoon/evening coffee shops. Gives you lots of opportunities to make acquaintances/friends with staff and customers. Smile and talk. If one place is unsociable, replace with another.

3. Improve your Vietnamese. You don't need to be fluent. Take a class or get tutors. Must be face to face to learn, forget internet classes. Do the homework.

4. There are even other male and female expats in your area in this forum. Ok off you go, coffeeshop time!

Hello Kingsley Dedunewic, and welcome to expat.com.

No one seems to be answering his question?

You are posting on a thread that is more than 5 1/2 years old. At that time there may not have been sufficient information available to provide the member mojoyote, who themselves have not been active on the forum in over 5 years.

what is the procedure if i die in bed in my landladys home?I have no friends or family and a small pension.
Do the police fill in paperwork and send my bod to hospital morgue for disposal?
what is the cost and who pays? 
    -@Kingsley Dedunewic

This very topic had been discussed recently, and a pertinent post was made by member goodolboy.

That post can be found here. (Link) I hope you find some of the information there helpful. Failing that, I'm sure the people at the British embassy (or consulate office) have experience in such matters.

I am curious, though, and am hoping you are not offended by my asking.

With, as you stated, no friends and/or family and only a small pension, what is it about this (hopefully) hypothetical situation which prompted you to join the forum and pose your question? Simple curiosity? A desire to not burden others? Religious sentiment?

Feel free to ask further questions as they arise, or to "Post new topic" at the forum's main Vietnam page (Link). Many helpful folk here at expat.com.

Again, welcome aboard.

@mikeymac

bravo. it's morbid but it help to be prepared.