What to gift

One Thai friend invited us and his family to visit their parents on a weekend.
Who knows what it is better to take with them as a gift?

Little late, So you might have found out by now.

But it is hard to tell, I let my Thai wife take care of it, Because it depends / change from people to people.

Some times when we are invite out to see friends or friends parents.
Every one coming, Are making and bring food (Thai that come talk together so they dont make same dish), Salat, fruit, Some make dessert and so on.

Some times we buy some cloth.

If we going to someone we know that dont have much, we sometimes gathers our old cloth, and ask friends and family if that have any to spare, So we can give them a lot of cloth to use or sell for some money.
Some time my wife give 200 baht.

And other times we bring / give nothing, I have stop trying to find out when, what and simple let my wife do it.

Cant say if that "normal" but that how we do it and any Thai we know do it.

Kindly.

Gifting is a complicated topic.  The simple answer is that it depends.  It depends on who you are, who they are, social class, and the occasion like wedding, birthday, housewarming, visiting for a few days.  Clothes, food or alcohol are fine in the village but it again depends on many variables.  I can't begin to list all the different things we have gifted people both here and abroad.  The more you can personalize it the better but anything will be appreciated as in "it is the thought that counts".

My wife is very gifted and gifting but she does ask for my input in some situations. :D

Depends on how close between. As one of a Thai that only sharing nationality, I wish to suggest you not to spoil from the beginning. A smile and kindness would be enough. That's basis and no one should requesting from the first time 😉

Fruit...I can't remember any time we have visited Thais where a bag of fruit wasn't welcome.

Many thanks to all for answers

Gifting is not all oneway and there is a good chance you will end up on the receiving end as well.  A few people have bought me cheese or chocolate.  Other friends know I like coffee, so one female friend mails me a bag of beans when she comes across something interesting and another foreign friend brings one of his own blends from his shop when he visits Thailand.  The most extravagant gift we have received in Thailand was a night in a resort in Chiang Mai (137 Pillars House), paid for by a very good Thai friend.

On my side, I offered a Malai. 
It is a typical honor gift always very well received by Thai people, you will definitely make them emotional with this kind of gift.
I found one amazing for my Thai teacher, so for the followers and interested in here the link:
[link moderated]
Ciao!
Nath.

Hi Nath,

You are commenting on a thread that has been inactive since 2018. It is therefore unlikely that there will be any replies.

If you want to discuss a specific topic or share your experience, please feel free to create a new discussion on the Pattaya Forum.

Vero
Expat.com team