Best place to buy quality furniture

Hi,

On my last trip to Nairobi I purchased a few things for my new place from Odds and Ends, which was relatively (to the UK ) expensive, I also went the cheaper option of getting some things made from the local guys and purchased a bed for 30k which was cheap for that type of bed, however am not really too impressed with the quality.

I still need to purchase quite a few things including a 6/8 seater dining set, 2x single beds coffee table ect. I really don't want to be spending 100k on a dining set but what other options do I have. Anyone know of furniture makers whom are a cut above the rest but good value.

I visited a furniture maker many years ago in Old Town Mombasa which was just a run down space, this guy used to make Swahili furniture for many hotels on the coast including Kahama. I almost ordered some furniture off him but due to shipping costs to the UK, I lost interest. I wish I had kept his details as the price of Swahili beds ect in Nairobi seems very inflated.

Andrew

You can check with the Kenya Prisons Headquarters.They have quality furniture you may like

Hi,

I was not expecting anything like this recommendation however it certainly has many merits.

Prisoners have time and can certainly be creative.

I will look into this.

Andrew

Hi Andrew...that's the best place to buy quality furniture...lots of variety & they are reasonably priced...they are located near Milimani Law Courts

We bought most of ours from Odds & Ends.  Sure they're expensive compared to UK furniture, but the quality is also well above much of what you can buy in the UK.  After 14 years our furniture still looks new!  You get what you pay for and I really don't regret.

Hi Rupert,

I have to agree with you, buying Ikea MDF stuff in the UK Is no comparison to buying real wood, Of course real wood costs more and in fact would considerably more in the UK than In Kenya. So some of the furniture in Odds and Ends is much better value. After 14 years most MDF looks tatty and am not so sure you can revive the original look. Real wood is certainly a better investment.

I remember viewing some new build apartments and the agent positively gushing about the fact that the fittings were MDF and the kitchens from China.  Before I could stop myself, I'd told him that MDF is a cheap and inferior product to wood and as for the Chinese kitchen, it wouldn't last long .........could they install a properly made local one!  Really burst his bubble.  My wife always maintains that Kenyans would rather buy poorly made stuff ..... as long as it's imported, rather than their own, usually excellent quality stuff. 

By the way, the Prisons Service have a FaceBook page with a lot of photos of the items that they make.

Rupert,

I concur, I viewed some newly built Chinese places and some of the new kitchens were already hanging off/badly put together. One place I viewed the balcony just did not seem symmetrical. In the end I ruled out these builds.

Yaya centre Kilimani ring road towards Prestige, the design of that road boggles my mind every time I drive there. I just cannot figure out why an architect would design a road that way. There are other examples even on Ngong road where the pavement suddenly appears in the middle of the road, No cats eyes. Future accidents waiting to happen.

I like Chinese food!!

I did see the furniture on face book and will take a look.

After reading my last post I realise my rant on Chinese architecture is a little unfair. They build a lot of great buildings no doubt!! Apple products are made in china of which I'm a great fan. China will be the biggest economy in the world in the next 10/20 years or so for good reason. They have also made a very positive contribution to the Kenyan economy.

Sorry If I offended anyone.

On  a more positive note I got some great contacts for furniture so thanks for all your help.

Andrew

Andrew,

I think that anyone in the know would agree that the furniture that China exports to Kenya is of generally poor quality.  Incidentally my brother in law is Chinese (and an economist) and I have been informed that Chinese companies do tend to hive off the worst quality stuff to countries like Kenya, unfortunately. 

Of course quality Chinese stuff is available and don't forget the Chinese excel at roadbuilding.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct