Where can I buy a barbecue grill....and other outdoor stuff ?

Hi all-

I'm looking for a bunch of stuff that I would just go to B&Q or homebase for in Ireland.  Can't find the equivalent in Nairobi (short of Nakumatt).

This is what I'm looking for - any help appreciated !

Barbecue grill (somewhere with a good selection)
Outdoor candles (citronella) and torches (eg tiki)
Back-up generator (or back-up battery pack for a fridge)

I have also posted in the classifieds.

Thanks

Gareth

Hi Gareth,
For candles I would recommend The Candle House. they have a variety contact them on : [email protected]
Tel: +254 20 8891331

Generator. what type of generator are u looking for? how many Kvas?? u could try blackwood hodge.

Hi Renay -

thanks  for the reply... I'll check out The Candle House.

wrt the generator... I'm not really sure, I probably need to speak to a supplier. 

Basically something to keep my refrigerator going during a power-out.

Cheers

Hi. I don't know about grills and candles. What I'd help you with, is keeping your fridge, tv, radio and the lights on during a black out. This without the noise and fuel hassle that comes with a generator! For less than a generator. And with a few extra bucks, hot water. Are you still reading.....??? Reach me on 0722649106 or drop a line here, I'll tell you where to find that.

You are most welcome. I'd recommend a portable solar pack to keep your fridge going. it consists of a panel, inverter and batteries...in a box

Check out the road to karen they usually sell many items on the roadside eg, the grills, canvas garden tents, candle holders etc.  Try that out....

Eunia wrote:

Check out the road to karen they usually sell many items on the roadside eg, the grills, canvas garden tents, candle holders etc.  Try that out....

Great - will try that.  Do you mean Ngong rd ?  or Karen rd ?

I am also looking for a descent grill... or gas BBQ. If you find something I would love to hear about it!  Regarding a generator.  You could use a back up battery pack (inverter).  That is what we have and it is great.  You choose what you have set up and it automatically kicks in when the power goes off.  We bought our through Go Solar. ( "GO SOLAR SYSTEMS LTD" Robert Omwando, mobile number 0721 207 949).  They are great.

Cheers,
Leslie

Those metalworks are to be found on Ngong Rd, out past Dagoretti Corner.

When you say 'a good selection' regarding grills, locally manufactured ones tend to be charcoal fired and either a half oil drum, with grill on top, or a large metal box on legs, with an overhead frame, chain and handle, to adjust the height of the grill.  They are very well made cw ones you might buy in Europe.  You can have the grill made for you - to a size to suit.

I think that if you want a gas fired grill, it is likely that it will be imported, with accompanying expense.

Oh and regarding the power back up for the fridge, solar is definitely better.  However in 7 years of living in Nairobi and Thika, we have never experienced a power outage lasting long enough to warrant such a back-up and power supply is becoming more reliable.

I would recommend that you invest in a surge/spike protector for the fridge and any other delicate/expensive appliances - they retail at around Kes 2500 per piece.

plcumming wrote:

I am also looking for a descent grill... or gas BBQ. If you find something I would love to hear about it!  Regarding a generator.  You could use a back up battery pack (inverter).  That is what we have and it is great.  You choose what you have set up and it automatically kicks in when the power goes off.  We bought our through Go Solar. ( "GO SOLAR SYSTEMS LTD" Robert Omwando, mobile number 0721 207 949).  They are great.

Cheers,
Leslie

I had never heard of an inverter before I moved here and I have to agree with Leslie; they're an absolute must! No noise, no pollution and very efficient. Ours powers the lights, TV, fridge and wireless internet connection for up to 8hours (if everything is on at once)
BBQ - I know someone who gets them made if you're interested.

hi - for your outdoor grills - roadside your best option - near dagoretti - karen - nakumatt have some but bit expensive,
if your looking for quality outdoor supplies but bit pricey try camping shops in karen.
inverter is your best bet - generators very noisy

for bbq grill try in jogoo road good value for money

Have you tried to look online for a bbq? :)

Jane

Barbeques Today Ltd.

www.bbqstoday.co.ke

@ dentes > Please note that you have replied to a very old thread here (2011), However thank you for your help. Maybe this information will help the other members. ;)

Priscilla

Hey Gareth. There is a small shop near Karen that sells camping gear perhaps you could contact me I'll get you the directions.

Hey Gareth. There is a small shop near Karen that sells camping gear that has similar stuff perhaps you could contact me I get you the directions. [email protected]

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey..barbeques today is the place to get your outdoors and gas barbeques.

Hey there am Peter please call me on my phone number 0723276861. I have a barbeque grill that uses gas.let me also know whats your budget.its second hand but clean and in good working condition.

Hi Peter,

Did you notice that this is a very old thread - back to March 2011!!