Feedback on moving to Mauritius from South africa

Hi Fellow South Africans

I would like to find out if you are happy with your decision to move from South Africa to Mauritius ?

We are a family of three (7 month old baby) aged 30 that are looking to relocate there

Any suggestions on areas ? Or any advice ?

Thank you !!

Hi Leande

We are from SA and shall be moving to MRU next year (still a while away) but we have done a lot of homework and investigations wrt cost of living, education, accommodation, medical, etc.  We have concluded that it will be for the best for our family.  However our kids are older (will be 8 and 14 when we get there) so our investigations and needs will be different to yours.  Sorry if it's not very helpful but if you have specific questions post them and I am sure you'll get a lot of useful feedback from this forum.
Regards

Thank you Vivvz

I have a few questions really.

For starters we are thinking about this move because of our baby and his future and if we possibly have more children.

We want a good lifestyle for our child and I am wondering firstly for the people whom have moved do you find your child has a better lifestyle than South Africa?

How do you find the schooling ?

Do you find after living there a few years you miss the hustle and bustle of South Africa or do you prefer the island living?

We love Mauritius we go every year for about a month, but that's just a holiday - living there and going on holiday is two different things.

Do you feel isolated ? Missing South Africa?

I'd like to know pros and cons that you've experienced

We going again now in February 2018 and Wil go to Tamarin and Black river to get a feel for it as we always stay in Grand baie

Thanks

Thank you Charlene Chetty that was such great feedback I really appreciate your honesty 🙏🏻 I may look you up in Mauritius when I'm there on holiday if you don't mind

All the best to you too

Leande 🙂

Well said , we have almost been here a year also and exactly how it had been for us .

Hi Charlene, thank you for a great answer. We are also from Pta East and will be visiting later this month before making our final decision. Where do you live, and where do you suggest we look? We will only have a few days to decide and it may be wothwhile meeting up with someone there if time allows. Since our move is imminent, do you have any suggestions?

Your help is much appreciated!

Willem

Hi, we moved here on 30 November and last year and loving it.  Living in the North, struggling to find a house but still very very happy.

Hi Leande,

We moved from Darling in the Western Cape last Wednesday to Tamarin. It's my wife, 3 year old daughter and I and so far we are loving it. The humidity is something to get used to but after the dryness of the Western Cape, it's a welcome change.

So far our daughter is loving it, the calm warm sea water is just her cup of tea. We are busy looking at schools, there is a very nice one right around the corner from us but it's just over four and a half times as expensive as the school she was in back in Darling. We are going to look around a bit more before we commit to anything.

As far as most of the other questions you have, it's a little early for us to say. So far we don't miss SA and a lot of our friends are planning to visit soon, so we possibly wont have much time to miss them  :)

Keep in contact if you like, we'd be happy to chat when you're here about how it's going for us so far.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi there,

I have been living in Mauritius from 2007 10 years already. It is a small island but growing. And yes there are alot of things that you will not get but with the amount of SA expats here most of this can probably be found. There are lot English schools which are very good.  The best thing is that you safe. I live in North.
Regards.
Yergen

But why moving from South Africa to Mauritius it is that bad?

I love South Africa to be honest. My time is divided as some months in South Africa and some months in Mauritius. I like both places.

So if you need any feedback on Mauritius i will be glad to assist.

Hi Expat.com,  please why can't we see the response of Charlene Chetty to Leande questions. I would be very interested to see what Charlene Chetty's opinion on living in Mauritius. Is there a reason that I cannot bring up this response?

i'd also like to see it and was wondering the same thing?  Also doing investigations on moving to Mauritius.

Hi

I am from South Africa and have been teaching English in Cambodia for 3 years.

I would love to move to Mauritius and I hope someone can give some advice on how to find schools/teaching positions, qualification requirements, etc?

Thank you!

Hi can you tell me the cost to immigrate to Mauritius?

Thanks Kraai.

Good day,

Im also from South Africa. And would like to immigrate to Mauritius. Can anyone assist with living costs, best place to stay etc.
What will be the best to go on a holiday visa for 3 months or what do you think.

Thanks

Hi everybody I was in Mauritius two weeks ago and saw various clients regarding financial emigration. It was determined that there is a need amongst expats regarding this service and thats why I am planning on holding free information sessions regarding this in the North, West and probably Cyber City. We are planning to come through provisionally mid November. With the proposed change in tax law that will be in place from 1 March 2020 it is important for expats residing in Mauritius to be aware of the possible tax consequences. Please email me at hein@findomicile.com if you would like to attend so that I can add your name to the list. Regards Hein

could some body help me PLEASE.... which is the most reasonable (not expensive) area / locality in or around PORT LOUIS for a bachelor. Say a small studio apartment or an independent room + bath + kitchen.... will appreciate your response... thanks

Thanks Hein. Do you have more information? Tracy

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi all. Hope you all well. Im looking for some info about moving to Mauritius. Im currently living in Durban. How is the employment there. Im currently a Health and Safety auditor and trainer and is looking for a post in Safety manager.

Hi Everyone

We are already in the process of moving to Mauritius. We are from Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
Could anyone maybe recommend an immigration company? I would really appreciate the feedback

Hi There

Can you give me more info into which schools you looked at? Cost and their curiculum ect? We have an 5yr old daughter and have to find a school for her next year.

Hi Paul ,I am from Cape Town,I was wanting to know did you apply on line or did you go to the Mauritian Embassy for your Documentation.How long did it take .,as I am wanting to move around September/October.I would also like to know can you recommend a good , reliable furniture removal..or did you sell your furniture?.I will be living in a rented apartment or house in Grand Baie ,how easy is it to buy a house and how long does everything take .I really need some guidance as I see you are also from Cape Town.
Regards Talia

Latest media article about moving to Mauritius

source:
https://businesstech.co.za/news/propert … itius/amp/

South African investors flock to Mauritius
Staff Writer 2 days ago

January marked a pivotal moment for Rawson Property Group as it opened its doors on the popular island destination for the first time.

According to Rawson Property Group MD, Tony Clarke, this expansion will provide attractive investment opportunities for South Africans.

“Mauritius has become a very popular emigration destination for South Africans, and is also a favourite spot for business relocation and expansion,” said Clarke.

“It has enviable political stability and an impressive track record of economic growth, with very liberal, business-friendly policies and extremely favourable tax laws.”

Indeed, with income tax capped at 15% and land transfer tax at 5%, Mauritius is a very tax-efficient destination for South Africans. Zero inheritance and capital gains tax only adds to the appeal for those weighing up the benefits of long-term investments like property.

“Next to the French, the second-largest number of foreign investors in Mauritius is now South Africans,” said franchisee, Isabelle Hardy.

“That said, we also have buyers from Great Britain, Reunion, Madagascar, Australia, Canada, Belgium, Switzerland and China. Our buyers range from seasoned investors, to seniors coming to retire, to working professionals and young couples looking for a safe, lifestyle-focussed place to raise their families.”

Hardy said most South Africans tend to invest around the MUR8.5 million mark (R3.2 million), although other foreign investments range all the way up to MUR39.860mil (R15 million).

The average 4-bedroomed villa on an erf of 1000m2 will cost upwards of MUR37.867 million (R14.288 million), but more compact properties are available for far less.

“Foreign buyers are only allowed to buy freehold land,” said Hardy, “but there is a wide range of properties to choose from within that space. In fact, between the IRS [Integrated Resort Scheme] RES [Real Estate Scheme], and PDS [Property Development Scheme], there have been almost 150 new developments approved for foreign investment since our property market was opened up to international buyers.”

Some of the more popular developments open to foreign nationals include: Le Parc de Mont Choisy Golf and Beach Estate, Rockview, Ki Resort Apartments, and Nautilya in the north; Pointe d'Esny le Village on the southeast coast; and Akasha Villas and Asmara Beachfront Residences on the west coast.

“Beachfront and sea-view properties are the most expensive,” said Hardy, “with those across the coastal road with mountain views, for example, being more affordable.

“Price trends are stable, but demand is low because of Covid-19. During the pandemic we saw a lower demand from the European market and a high number of property enquiries from keen South Africans.”

Hardy said that stable price trends together with the depreciation of the Mauritian rupee against other currencies, means there are some great opportunities for foreign investors.

Low interest rates on offer from Mauritian lenders means locals can also get in on the action and take advantage of Mauritius' incredible capital appreciation on properties.

This typically ranges from around 35% to as much as 60% within 3 to 5 years. Add to this gross rental yields of 3.5% to 4% per annum in prime developments, has made Mauritius a popular investment destination, Rawson said.

Read: Mauritius launches new visa that will allow South Africans to live and work there long-term

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifesty … long-term/

Hi All

I am a qualified Foundation Phase Teacher, and 300hr qualified Teach English as a Foreign Language Abroad teacher (Business English and one-to-one online)... and on my way to becoming a Play Therapist. IS there a need in Mauritius for any of these career domains?
Teaching in SA has not been easy nor favourable, I wonder if teachers are better respected as well as remunerated in Mauritius... and whether there are language schools at which to work with a high quality TEFL qualification.

Is Play Therapy recognised in Mauritius and is there a demand for it?

Many thanks
Julia

Searching for Charlene Chetty's comment but cannot find it, may someone kindly repost?

Hi folks my partner & I are looking to retire in Mauritius.
We intend buying a property.
Any advise will be appreciated.

I'm a retired wildlife consultant...and my partner retired from the hospitality industry in which she ran for more than 20 years.

We would appreciate advice on issues such as shipping furnishings or is it better to purchase there?

Is it advisable to ship my car & boat or better to purchase there?

Kind regards
Peter & Mariaan

The cost and time it takes South Africans to move to Mauritius

24 July 2021

source:
https://businesstech.co.za/news/trendin … mauritius/

Now more than ever South Africans are plotting scenarios in which their families enjoy a safe existence, and where their companies can operate without threat.

According to High Street Auctions managing director James Dall, South Africans can relocate three generations of their families to Mauritius – with permanent residence – for less than the cost of a mid-sized family home in an affluent Cape Town suburb.

Dall said Mauritius is the only place in the world where South Africans can buy luxury property and secure residency for three generations for less than R6 million.

“For most of us, the key priorities are social and political stability, financial security and the opportunity for growth – all of which are sadly lacking in South Africa at the moment,” he said.

“Mauritius' fast-growing status as an investment, financial, trade and residential destination, has been corroborated by the World Bank ranking it as the easiest place in Africa to do business and by the World Economic Forum's ranking of the country as the most competitive economy in sub-Saharan Africa.

“This ‘ease' is greatly expedited by the new Business Facilitation Act that came into force in May 2017 with the goal being to minimise business registration delays and speed up company incorporation.

“And considering that companies are authorised to commence operations right after the incorporation is completed, it's an excellent initiative.”

There are three ways to register a company in Mauritius:

Call in at the Registrar of Companies in Port Louis to initiate the process and fill in the necessary forms;
Register yourself on the online system (Cbris) and proceed with the online application and payment. You will have to collect your certificates in person; or
Contact a registered professional who will do it for you – for a fee.
Dall said that Mauritian taxation is also more favourable to both individuals and corporate entities, which are taxed at a flat rate of only 15%. Additionally, there is no Capital Gains Tax and Mauritian authorities do not require any Estate Duty should an owner pass away.

High Street Auctions said that the Mauritian government's recent changes to investment thresholds and the extension of work, residence, and retirement permits have further enhanced the island's attraction for families looking to relocate there.

“In June 2020, finance minister Renganaden Padayachy announced changes that made it even easier for foreign investors to buy property, work open businesses and retire on the island – with Mauritius' Permanent Residence and Work Permits having been combined into a single permit and extended from ten to twenty years,” said Dall.

Other adjustments include the lowering of the minimum investment for an Occupational Permit (OP) from $100,000 to $50,000.

Most South Africans relocating families to Mauritius, do so through property investment and the Property Development Scheme (PDS) which allows for the development of residential resorts and estates designed to facilitate non-citizens in acquiring both residential property and residency in Mauritius.

For a minimum investment of $375,000, investors obtain permanent residency for themselves, their spouses, children of all ages as well as their parents with the procedure being relatively simple and easy, said High Street Auctions.

“A significant advantage to buying in property in Mauritius is that it allows South Africans to use their rands to invest in a dollar-based property market,” said Dall.

“And investors also have a choice of several exceptional and unique developments around the island, making it very easy to find a home to suit a variety of lifestyles and needs.”

At High Street Auctions' inaugural Mauritian auction on July 28, a total of 17 existing and off-plan properties will come under the hammer. These range from luxurious penthouses and contemporary apartments to lavish villas all situated within exclusive coastal developments.

Existing properties include three contemporary two-bedroom apartments in Domaine des Alizees Club and Spa in Grand Baie; a luxury villa in Serenity; and a four-bedroom apartment in Manta Cove.

Investors who prefer to have a say in the finishes of their homes, and who have more time on their side, have numerous off-plan options which include: Six two-bedroom apartments and two penthouses in Ki-Resort, Grand Baie, and four villas in Secret Private Villa Resort.

Buyers of properties that are being auctioned off-plan have an option to pay for their acquisitions over two years.

Mauritius has several hospitals and retails centres with top international and South African brands, noted Dall. The education system is essentially based on the British model and the curricula of schools on this island nation are therefore amongst the top internationally recognised programmes.

And, in recent years, Mauritius has steadily built up its tertiary education sector to world-class status in the country's concerted efforts to position itself to become a knowledge hub in Africa.

“If you are considering making the move, bear in mind that one cannot ‘up sticks' overnight – it can take anywhere between six months and a year to complete all that is necessary to buy property, apply for residence and get through all the logistics of moving countries and moving house,” said Dall.

Also Read: More South Africans target a move to Mauritius with new visa rules

https://businesstech.co.za/news/wealth/ … isa-rules/