Fenced windows and gates everywhere.

Hey, what's with all the fenced gates and windows I see everywhere on villas for rent? I have been in Mauritius long time ago its true, but I don't remember houses back then needed such protection.  What has changed? Burglary is the new low there? I am quite surprised. 15 years ago it was a very quiet island with almost no crime whatsoever. Did I miss something? Planning to move back there, would be nice to clarify what's the situation there at the present. I see it's packed with European and western expats. That is a big change. What else is different?

Fenced windows and gates have always been the norm in Mauritius, not only in new villas but also in private houses for people who could avoid them.

It's not only about security but also about privacy.

Mauritius is densely populated with houses inch close to each other in many areas, so gates serves as barriers.

Hi like you I had a gap before I saw the island again (though my gap was less at 11 years approx, I've now lived here since August 2016) but adding to Winstons comment the Island has also had its economic growth spurt and associated developments... In such a climate things get bought , electronics , cars, nicer things etc and buildings get built ... With it one could say elements of crime do tend to raise a little in such a climate ... However in my opinion it's nothing like in other countries... But having said that I wouldn't wish to go out and leave the house doors unlocked or the main gate open while out with no one at home. I think the mentality here is better safer than unnecessarily sorry. 🤔 Hope your eventual return to the island  goes well ...