Working @ Canary Wharf

Hi everyone,

My company in Belgium closed our department and offered me the same job in London to start there from July/September on. Still considering if I will do it, the company is situated at Canary Wharf (East London). Renting a flat there looks however cheaper than most other parts of London (which is still expensive :) ). Is it a safe and nice neighbourhood or would you suggest me to search for another area to live that is close as well to canary wharf?

For a flat I am not very demanding: I can survive with a separate bedroom and a shared kithen, living room and bathroom. Budget around 1000£ pcm, don't know if that is realistic?

All suggestions are welcome
Many Thanks!

Hello TCL, Welcome on Expat-Blog ;)

I hope that other members will advise you soon.

Best of luck with your move.
Regards

Canary Wharf is in the borough of Tower Hamlets, which is difficult to discuss unless you know exactly where you will be living.  Some of the most desirable and expensive real estate in the country is in Canary Wharf and the Docklands area,  but then not far away you will find huge council estates with high crime rates.

You will certainly be able to find flats or flat shares in the area for £1000/mo, but depending on your standard of living, what you can get for that price may not be acceptable.

You may want to look at commuting in from Kent. In Bexley or surrounding area, you could rent a 2bd house for under £1000/mo. 

It all depends on what you want and how you are used to living in your current situtation.

Hi TLC,

For £1000/mo you can find a brand new one bed/one bath flat, full furnished including gym, concierge, parking. There are new developments near Elverson Road dlr, which is just about 15 minutes commuting to CW. It`s a quiet area, and you will find restaurants, coffee shops & convenience stores nearby.

Regards,

ladyliberty wrote:

Canary Wharf is in the borough of Tower Hamlets, which is difficult to discuss unless you know exactly where you will be living.  Some of the most desirable and expensive real estate in the country is in Canary Wharf and the Docklands area,  but then not far away you will find huge council estates with high crime rates.

You will certainly be able to find flats or flat shares in the area for £1000/mo, but depending on your standard of living, what you can get for that price may not be acceptable.

You may want to look at commuting in from Kent. In Bexley or surrounding area, you could rent a 2bd house for under £1000/mo. 

It all depends on what you want and how you are used to living in your current situtation.

Thanks for all advice,

Bexley looks a bit far for me, prefer living smaller but closer to the city center. Which are those areas that I better avoid? Island of Dog? Is moving more North to West Ham, East to Canning Town or West to Limehouse nicer and safer?

Hi there,

I work in Canary Wharf. It's the "city" area, full of bankers and big companies.

It's def safe and cheap but quite boring so I would rather suggest to look for a flat in a different and more lively area.

movingflat.com is a good website

T.