Moving to London

I'll be moving to London from Los Angeles in February and am looking for suggestions on where to live. I'm looking for a furnished 1-bedroom flat in decent neighborhood in zone 2 or 3 near a tube line for an easy commute into Soho. I could probably go up to £1000/month if I had to, but would prefer to stay closer to £800-850/month.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jim

Try:

gumtree.com/

Helena

Please allow me to be more clear and rephrase -

I am not looking for a specific flat. I am familiar with the various websites such as gumtree. I am seeking opinions on neighborhoods. For example, is Swiss Cottage a safer area than Hampstead? Is Brixton too industrial? Is Acton filled with too many Americans? That sort of thing. I included my price range to eliminate the too pricey and the too seedy. Basically, if you were moving to London from the US (with my budget), where might you want to live?

Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Nowadays £800-£850 could get you a nice place in a zone 4 area that is also not too far from Soho, about 50 minutes on the tube.  Two nice areas are Wanstead on the Central Line so you would get the tube to Holborn and then a couple of stops to either Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square or South Woodford which is also a nice area and about 40 minutes from Holborn.

Check out rightmove.co.uk if you already haven't.

Also, if you are interested, I managed a baseball club in Waltham Abbey, Essex and we are looking for new players and coaches for the 2010 season so if you want to get involved let me know [email protected]

The website for the baseball team is www.essexarrows.com (currently down but should be up again in the next few days!)

I'm not much of a baseball player... softball with cooler full of beer is more my speed.

I'll check out Wanstead and South Woodford. Thanks much for the info.

Jim

Hi, since your moving in London, guess you are also interested in knowing good place to visit. I believe you love to drink and eat and loves to go out also, Paddington Area is a nice place to visit.

Also you have put some budget there, better you can get updated info from room to let websites like  easyroommate.co.uk and others.

Cheers,

Ivan

For a budget under 1k, I think Hamstead would be a good fit, especially if you're into leafy surroundings. A friend of mine used to live 5min from the Tube station for just over 900 quid per month.

I'm not sure what your concerns are. If safety is your number one concern, I would suggest Hamstead.

Hi All,

I wish to move to London. I'm from Malta and my job is sales and design consultant.

I need to find a job and where to live first. can u help me please? :)

thanks,
Donna

Hi Donna,

maybe you should post in the classifieds > jobs ?

Hi Jim,
my husband and I moved to London earlier this year and had no idea where to look for a flat - so know how you feel.

We now live in an area called Islington, we love it. It's multi-cultural, safe and there's lots to do (bars, restaurants, parks). Also, it's in walking distance to the City and the bus or the tube will also get you into the West End / Soho very quick.

Check out foxtons.co.uk - we found our flat through them.

I currently volunteer for a charity here in London who organize home shares. Home sharers live with an elderly person, provide 10 hrs/week of help (shopping, cooking) in exchange for rent plus a small fee towards the charity. Minimum stay is 6 months. In case you are interested, drop me an Email and I can send you some more info.

Good luck with your move and the flat hunt!
Kathrin

North London is amazing.  I live in Islington and find it exciting but nicely off the tourist path.  It's just on the edge of central London. My dream location would be Hampstead but you might find it slightly out of the way.  It is truly a peaceful village within London and so close to the marvelous Heath.

Hi,
Hampstead is lovely. I'd stay out of Soho, Kings Cross area for safety. I don't think there is a particular American hotspot per se. There are Americans and foreigners living everywhere.

(Moderated: No free advertising with first post, Thanks) Good luck!

Laura, HappyHomemakerUK.blogspot