Moving to London!

My husband are moving to London in Novemeber and will spend 1 week looking for a flat in August!  Help!!!  We know very little about the neighborshoods.  Please post your opinions and recommendations!  Thanks!

Hi Susie, we came over two years ago November, and everything went great.  You're in for a treat!

We found a lot of great advice in "The Telegraph Guide to Commuterland".  There are more editions available on Amazon.co.uk than Amazon.com, but you can find copies scattered here and about; it doesn't matter that much if it's old, because neighborhoods change pretty slowly.

You need to post more information to get good responses...do you have kids, such that schools would be a priority?  What ages?  Do you know where you will work, because access to various Tube / train stations can matter.  Will you be planning to buy a car?  (Do NOT try bringing one from Idaho...I went that route and it did NOT pan out :-/

My wife and I maintained a blog for the first few months (haven't kept it up lately, sorry)...maybe you can find something useful in it.  Shoot us an email if you have any questions :-)

Check out Gumtree.com. They are like a British craigslist.

Colleen,

SUPER helpful thanks!  I have been looking Northwest and Southwest.  We have to be near an airport for my husbands travel.  I have been looking at the neighborhoods you mentioned including; Putney, and Barnes.  I am also interested in Canary Warf but am not sure the London City Airport is big enough.

Are there any neighborhoods you would NOT live in in NW and SW zones 2 and 3??????

Thank you for your help!  Going to your site now!
Suz

Mzieg,

Thank you SOOOOOO much for the tip on moving the car!!!!  It's impossible to know these things without help or experience! 

More information, This is a bussiness move for my husband and I.  It's just the two of us.  We are looking for a safe neighborhood, modern(yes, I just wrote that)"hip" housing, close to an airport, and possibly near the river.

Looking forward to reading your blog!  You've been where we are and know how helpful this information is!!!!

Suz

Hi suzziepie,

I currently live in Canary Wharf and actually really like it. The DLR runs to City Airport but it is smaller and most of the flights we've taken haven't go through it.

I also moved to London for my husband's job and wrote a lot about our move and finding a flat if you'd like to have a read. Hopefully a few elements in there will be helpful! :)

Thank you!  Going to read what you wrote!  Looks like we will be living in Reading, or Cambridge.  We'll be traveling to England at the end of August to make a decidion!  (I really did love what I could see of Canary Warf!!!)

Now, we are debating bringing our car or buying a new one when we get there...  What a fun adventure!

Thanks for the post!
Suz