State school vs others, dark skinned teen

Hello, I am a Finnish woman, about to move to Malta with my teenage son (dad is African). I am very confused about what school to put him into. But I am thinking we will live in Sliema or Gzira so the St Claire Prembroke school would be the one for him.

There are two things I'm worried about though..

1. Racisim 2. His age

My son is already 15, soon 16 and I heard they have some important exams this year in spring. And of course he would not be able to sit for those because he has not studied in the same school system, so wondeing if it instead would make sense to have him start in a class with kids one year younger than him?

When he started in first grade in a Barcelona state school we experienced bullying and he was treated differently than our neighbour and best friend who was a white haired Icelandic boy. Then we moved back to Helsinki. I just don't want that to happen again.

I am considering St Clair Prembroke or Newark (a small private school I found - if they would have space for my son), does anyone have experience with the Newark school in Gzira or with teens starting in school in Malta or racism in the schools in Malta?

Thanks so much for your help, I am quite worried how this move will turn out.

tonia99 wrote:

When he started in first grade in a Barcelona state school we experienced bullying and he was treated differently than our neighbour and best friend who was a white haired Icelandic boy. Then we moved back to Helsinki. I just don't want that to happen again.

I understand your concern, but keep in mind he's 15 now, not 5-6.  Unfortunately, racism exists in the world and you can't shelter him from this as he approaches adulthood; he will have to be able to adapt and deal with this in his own way to survive in the world.  Again, unfortunate, but true.

As for the classes, you probably should discuss your concerns with the school(s), until others reply back with their insight about the area.

tonia99 wrote:

Hello, I am a Finnish woman, about to move to Malta with my teenage son (dad is African). I am very confused about what school to put him into. But I am thinking we will live in Sliema or Gzira so the St Claire Prembroke school would be the one for him.

There are two things I'm worried about though..

1. Racisim 2. His age

My son is already 15, soon 16 and I heard they have some important exams this year in spring. And of course he would not be able to sit for those because he has not studied in the same school system, so wondeing if it instead would make sense to have him start in a class with kids one year younger than him?

I am considering St Clair Prembroke or Newark (a small private school I found - if they would have space for my son), does anyone have experience with the Newark school in Gzira or with teens starting in school in Malta or racism in the schools in Malta?

Thanks so much for your help, I am quite worried how this move will turn out.

@tonia99

Please see:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=455274