Do and don't in Vietnam

Are you living in Vietnam? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Vietnam?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Vietnam?

Thanks!

Expat.com wrote:

Are you living in Vietnam? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Vietnam?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Vietnam?

Thanks!

Do drink the ca phe da.
Don't expect the natives to follow the traffic laws.
Do expect someone to complain about being called a native.
Don't expect common sense to prevail.
Do expect old posts to be commited on as if they are important today.
Don't expect others to see your sense of humor....

don't expect other to act in any way that might suggest they care for their own survival

Do: Enjoy yourself. Remember that you are a foreigner. Be inquisitive. Be polite, even when you don't feel like being polite. Try to learn the language. Take your shoes off when entering a home, even if they tell you you don't have to. (Carrying a pair of cheap flip-flops in your backpack comes in handy for home visits). Pick up the tab when eating or drinking with Vietnamese friends when it's your turn. ALWAYS return a kindness or gift with a kindness of your own. Finally: Do praise Vietnamese culture, arts, literature, cinema, architecture, family life, etc., etc., etc.

Don't: Raise your voice unnecessarily. Show anger to anyone you don't intimately know. Take unnecessary risks. Presume that medical care is up to first world standards, especially outside the large cities. Discuss present or past Vietnamese national leaders in anything but polite and friendly terms. Sound Vietnamese out on their political opinions. Presume you know anything about Vietnam or 'the Vietnamese' just because your significant other is Vietnamese IF you were not born and raised in a Vietnamese home.

WHEN WITH EXPATS: Keep your voice low when discussing Vietnamese history, politics, culture, or annoying habits, and keep in mind that wait staff and business owners are Vietnamese too. If you really have to get something off your chest: This Blog (we hope) is an excellent place to do so. You might have your post deleted. At worst you might get banned (aargh!), but at least you'll still be able to have children ;-).

Don't wear a skirt when getting a pedicure.
Don't ask a shopkeeper a question when he first opens for business w/o buying something. It is considered bad luck to them and they will not have a good business that day.
Don't expect anything to be done on time.
Don't expect people to be courteous and wait their turn.
Don't expect them to apologize.
Don't compare your  culture to their culture, they get offended.
Don't leave home w/o toilet paper.
Don't expect them not to eat without smacking.
Don't expect them to close their mouth when they eat.
Don't be surprised if they pick their nose while you enjoy your ice cream.

Don't bother asking them to speak more slowly. 

Don't expect " thank you."

Don't bother asking them to,lower their goddamn voices 10 cm from your ear.

Don't expect them to look before barreling out right in front of your car.

Do speak softly.  Set an example.

Hi All,

Please note that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread.

The aim of the forum is to promote the exchange of information and advice for expatriates with the spirit of mutual help.

You are invited to give useful advices and information.

If you do not respect our VIETNAM FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT we will have to moderate more severely.

Thank you for your understanding,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

P.S: Members, please report any inappropriate posting on the forum by clicking the Report button. We will then take necessary measures.

Dear all,

We do not delete posts, we moved them to a private forum which is accessible only for moderators.

Your posts were off topic and inappropriate to the initial subject. If you have any questions or suggestions, Please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.
Christine

Christine wrote:

Dear all,

We do not delete posts, we moved them to a private forum which is accessible only for moderators.

Your posts were off topic and inappropriate to the initial subject. If you have any questions or suggestions, Please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.
Christine

Thank you for clearing that up.

Mine will be coming from the POV of a female but I'll try to be broad...

Do stock up on your favorite beauty products. Vietnamese may have different beauty standards and skin tones, therefore will not carry what you are use to. If they do it's expensiiive.

Don't stock up on random American food items like peanut butter, sriracha, Doritos, etc. I see that stuff everywhere here when people swore it wasn't in Vietnam.

Do lurk online forums like this for the most useful info from people actually living in the country. The tips on Vietnam I received from Viet Kieu were 30 years outdated and wasn't prepared. (Thanks, mother-in-law! :o )

Don't expect medical care to be as competent. It's cheaper for a reason.

Do say goodbye to your sense of personal space in all aspects of your life.

Don't get offended when you're stared at like a unicorn. Just stare back and make it a competition!

Do forget using public restrooms. Really, squatting behind a bush is cleaner and you'll have a better chance at finding toilet paper. :rolleyes:

Don't forget your toilet paper/baby wipes when you travel in case there are no bushes!

Don't refer to all Americans as Yanks, they'll get stabby. :mad:

Don't think that being the only customer in a huge empty restaurant doesn't mean that the next guy who peeks in isn't going to rush over and take the closest seat at the closest table and immediately whip out a cigarette.

My experience is that American-born Vietnamese are no more passionate about the current government here that the scions of Miami Cubans are red-eyed about Castro.  Both new generations are probably equally sick of hearing about it

I know a few who are, but I do believe Chris is right about the great majority. In essence, that is the transition from being a real Vietnamese (born, raised, and involved) to a "Vietnamese-American, -canadien, -Aussie, -Kiwi", or whatever.

I wouldn't say they are 'sick of hearing about it', as the older generation lived through the trauma. Rather they wish to retain the 'vietnamese' part of their identity and that implies accepting the facts of 1975 if they wish to visit, reside, or do business there.

I knew one guy who had left in his early teens and came back in his late 20s.  I talked to him after he came back.  "So much has changed," he said.

What's different?

"All the new schools and hospitals, the better roads ..."

"All the new schools and hospitals, the better roads ..."

Yes, all built after 1985 when they realized that Marxist economic theories were killing any hopes of economic betterment. And, of course, an expanding population now three times larger than it was in 1975, not to mention some very important inputs of foreign aid.

Hi everyone,

Please concentrate on the initial topic which is "Do and Don't in Vietnam".

Thank you,
Christine

Expat.com team

Vietnam Customs: Cases is already the Vietnam visa, foreigners to Vietnam's border procedures required in cabin gain entry to foreigners. As noted procedures follow the specific instructions of the management staff at the entry gate. Here your non payment any one accounts fee will be related.
For an official entry form is required to fill in visa application Vietnam, together with the immigration office and a passport, pay the visa application fee prescribed. Note the visa fee foreigner best to USD payment. At the airport or land border gates of Vietnam Immigration Police will provide detailed guidance on the steps.
Do and don't in Vietnam: All you can do what you want, as long as not violating the law and affect the local culture.
Welcome to Vietnam.

Not Canadian born but left Vietnam at age of 1. My perspective of Vietnam is you got to look forward to the future. Forget the past. Who cares who won the war. Everyone should help with the now which is to make Vietnam a better country for all those that live in Vietnam.

But yeah I didn't live through the haunting bombing sounds and seeing war first hand so I know it's hard for people to change their perspective. Just dwelling on the past doesn't make progress is basically how I see it and if they cared enough for Vietnam and want to see it what it once was for them than help the country grow and prosper. Help the poor Vietnamese, the disable and old that are not able to care for themselves.

lirelou wrote:

My experience is that American-born Vietnamese are no more passionate about the current government here that the scions of Miami Cubans are red-eyed about Castro.  Both new generations are probably equally sick of hearing about it

I know a few who are, but I do believe Chris is right about the great majority. In essence, that is the transition from being a real Vietnamese (born, raised, and involved) to a "Vietnamese-American, -canadien, -Aussie, -Kiwi", or whatever.

I wouldn't say they are 'sick of hearing about it', as the older generation lived through the trauma. Rather they wish to retain the 'vietnamese' part of their identity and that implies accepting the facts of 1975 if they wish to visit, reside, or do business there.

Based more on Russians and Cubans, the expatriate hardcore anti communists are people who had been snooty-rich and got taken down a peg by the class-equality notions of their new governments.  Certainly Ayn Rand was nothing else.

Do learn the language, or at least try.  Don't repeat English louder when they don't understand English.

Do honk when coming up behind, don't assume those mirrors are anything anyone ever uses.

Try not to get annoyed at that hand-waggle thing.  May you have better success than I.

DO try to keep your sense of humour......despite the frustrations of never getting a straight answer to a question.
DO realise that you will never be told no...except for the wiggling hand gesture.....the need to "save face" covers a multitude of problems!!!!
DONT get angry...that will only amuse the locals :)