Eqypt's most expensive cities

Hello everyone,

What are the most expensive cities to live in Egypt? What are the costs of things such as rent, utilities, weekly groceries, dining out, etc.?

What is the lifestyle like in these cities, for expats and locals?

What are the different neighbourhoods like? Are there more affordable areas?

Do you have any experience living in any of Eqypt's most expensive cities? What was it like?

Which cities in Egypt would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

The majority of people live in the greater Cairo area. Most of the tech jobs are in Cairo, Maadi, Smart Village, and New Cairo. I was living in El Rehab. The three bedroom apartment was about 10,000 EGP per month. The most expensive meals in the area are maybe 200 EGP per person. Most of my meals were under 150 EGP. Food and transportation is super cheap outside of the tourist areas. Don't take cabs, they are a rip off even for Egyptians. Transportation the cheapest options are bus and the metro. I usually traveled via Kareem, which charges about 10 cents (USD) per minute.

that's because generally Egypt is considered to be non productive country , but it's an import country , and as you know  the USD is a world wide currency
so comparing the USD with the EGP , it's very dear , so Egypt import with a very high price

Prices depend on areas and the quality of life the one seeks. But in general, Cairo and Alexandria are the most expensive cities of the country.

Cairo is getting very expensive

Cities in Egypt are very expensive, particularly Cairo and Alexandria and any touristic areas and resorts of course. Some neighborhoods are less expensive than others. When you go to rural areas prices are less, yet variety of products is less  and the community is more modest. Where your job is defines which city you will have to live in. So try to find the neighboorhods that are less expensive, easy to commute from and also safe to live in.

omg I live 20 minutes south of Maadi in Hadayek Helwan
and have a very large
three bedroom for 1,200 a month
I love it here and have been here about 11 years
in four different flats

I probably don't have as much experience of Egypt as some of you. Based on what I have seen in the short time I have been here, there is always a price to pay or a trade off. Right now I am living in Sharm, in Naama Bay, and I know I am paying a bit of a premium for the location and the property. If I go a bit further out, I would save considerably, then I would need my own transport and maybe not have things walking distance.

I think it all depends on what you want, and what you want to get out of it. Thats my 2 cents worth :)