Cost of living in Egypt – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Egypt in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Egypt you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Egypt?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Where are they now, all the egyptian guys offering help? :D

You are right Caty ... i think all Egyptian guys must be banned from this website . all what they think about is to company an expat and offer help ...

about the costs i recommend to make excel sheet with most things needed so it can be guide to fill prices inside

Hahaha, Samy, I wouldn't go so far to ban them all :) there are some really friendly and helpful people here!
Go ahead with the excel sheet, I have no idea how to upload it. My problem with the list is the price range, prices differ vastly. A coffee for example could be like 5 LE or 25 LE or anything in between. My electricity bill could be 40 LE and can go up to 300 LE.

Regards, Caty

That didn't mean I want to add you to my contacts, Samy :D:D:D ok, we better ban them all :D

You are right Caty ... maybe little are good and really helpful .. and am sorry for sending you add request and PM ...

anyway i think to avoid the issue of price differences we can make a poll or something like questionnaire or survey , that will be better  .. the problem who will fill that survey ahahahaha

I will! But for some items its really hard to tell... I got no monthly budget for shopping for example as some items like bread, cheese, fruits ... my husband used to buy while I like to buy organic meat, eggs and vegetables which I pay for.

am not married .. but my friends in work who are married tell me maybe in a street walk to get some little things like chees and that things may cost high maybe about LE 200 - 300 ( that in new cairo away from cairo center ) maybe in most local areas cost less than this

I want to offer that Idea to the website owner

https://www.expat.com/forum/profile.php … mp;lang=en

.. we can integrate a questionnaire or survey system on Expat.com so and make one for each country so expats can participate with their real experience about prices and costs .. think Egyptian will not as they are busy with other things  :D

SAMYHUSSEIN wrote:

.. expats can participate with their real experience about prices and costs .. think Egyptian will not as they are busy with other things  :D

:D

So ... anyone going to share some info here ....

Loosescoots wrote:

So ... anyone going to share some info here ....

I think its better if we wait to design a form and make it available for others to fill online. thank you Loosescoots  :top:

I have seen prices rise substantially since Pre- Revolution. However, compared to many countries, the cost of living is lower. According to a recent survey, Egypt was the 8th cheapest country worldwide to live in.
As a foreign worker living on an Egyptian salary, my living costs are higher (and I am sure other ex pats will agree). Rents - are generally raised when owners see the foreign face as unfortunately, they all assume we have alot of money so unless you are sharing with others, then renting alone is alot more costly. Here in Cairo,expect to pay around 1,000 - 1,500 LE for an average share price, unless you choose to live in Zamalek, Maadi or Mohandeseen where rents are much higher,
Food - costs vary depending on where you shop or eat out. Metro and Carffour supermarkets are more expensive so shop around and find more local ones (although they have less choice if you are looking for imported foods). Eating out can be very cheap depending where you go. Syrian food is very good value and very tasty, and some Egyptian food places are also very cheap. GAD is reasonably priced and local food restaurants all do takeouts and deliveries.
Ordering online is an easy option if you don't want to cook. The 2 most popular online ordering sites are OTLOB and EL MENUS, however OTLOB charge a quite a high delivery price but have more restaurants on offer.
Coffee shops again vary with cost. The chain Coffee shops like Cilantro, Costa and Starbucks tend to charge extra for service and taxes, so a cappuchino before charges is around 18LE, with charges about 23LE. Certain areas like Dokki (Nile Cruise cafe's), Mohandeseen, Zamalek, Maadi and Heliopolis often take a minimum charge per person which often means you might have to pay anything from 50- 100 LE so its wise to check first if you don't plan to eat and just drink.
Clothing -  is relatively cheap depending where you shop. Malls are more expensive but have many imported chain stores. Local areas have alot cheaper clothes and often have 'stock' shops where it is alot cheaper, but often the quality is not too good.
Sports - is popular in Egypt. To join a Sporting Club costs alot of money and tends to attract well off Egyptian families. Gym's are cheaper with companies like Gold's Gym charging around 5,500 LE per year membership.
For Ex Pats wanting to teach in Egypt, be aware that you will only get employed at the top International schools with 2 years previous teaching experience and need either TEFL, TOEFL, EILETS or one of the worldwide recognised teaching certifications. Big schools pay big salaries (in $), but smaller International schools pay alot less around 3-4000 LE for Native teachers (if you are lucky!). Private Language Centres are a better option if you just want experience and they are not so fussy about how long (if at all) you have been teaching as long as you are Native. They tend to pay per course so check what they offer.
Be aware, that teachng children in Egypt is not an easy task! Unfortunately, discipline in the classroom is not priority like in most Western countries, so you need to have an awful lot of patience!!
For Egyptians, Universities are reasonably cheap with many being Government funded. Some of the higher reputable Universities are aimed at the wealthier students.
Holidays - Travelling to the Red Sea Resorts are popular within Egypt both for Egyptians and Foreigners who work in Cairo and other Cities. Hurghada is much cheaper and bigger than Sharm El Sheikh with Hurghada having alot of Russian and Eastern European tourists all year round. Sharm is more popular with Northern Europeans but is more expensive, yet more upmarket. Egyptians travel there also but many of the young men target foreign ladies for the wrong reasons (sad to say). Most Egyptians travel to El Sokhna or North Coast for holidays.
I hope you found this useful. Inbox me if you have any further questions! 
Tracy

Thank you for these info. They are extremely helpfull and also confirmed my iniitial  impression . The life here in Egypt is not cheap at all .

You are welcome dear..I am glad it helped

Hey there,
As an Egyptian who lives 10 months per year abroad; when I go home (Alexandria), it feels like I'm an expat since everything changes drastically these days (food, gas, and entertainment expenses.. Etc). Here's a small tip on how I get by in those two months in Egypt.

If you're on the frugal or economic spending team, it doesn't mean you have to live that way. Good replacements for Metro and Carrefour are Fat'hallah Markets.

Try to Google, foursquare or ask your Egyptian friends about cafes like Bridges and Carlos since they're cheaper than Costa and others.
Try exploring places like The Latin Neighborhood (if ur downtown) or Bianky (if you're closer to Agamy area), they're stock filled with reasonable priced cafes and restaurants.

In the weekends take your car up to the North Coast, the villages there are amazing and relatively cheap as a weekend getaway (personally recommend Amoun; a 3 Bedroom villa with private pool was 800 per day, restaurants, cafes and recreation areas are very very cheap as well).

I'm trying as much as i can now to help but not much is coming to mind right now, but you can ask me anything about Alexandria's living costs and I will help you as much as I can
Cheers (:

Tracygrand TOEFL is nit a teaching certificate,and the other one is called IELTS and this also is not referring to teaching at all.

I have lived in Egypt for 7 years and each year it costs me more and more, but it is still terribly cheap compared to the UK... I took the time to add my personal expenditure.

How much does it cost to live in Egypt?

> accommodation prices  -  I pay 5000le for as two bedroom apartment in Heliopolis

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)  - I use taxis only and they are very cheap. 

> food prices (your monthly budget) – I live alone and spend approx 2000le pm but I have a cat and I also eat a lot of meat and salmon etc, I guess I am considered a big spender when I food shop

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)  I get mine paid through my employer

> education prices (if you need to pay)  I work in a school that charges 30,000le for one academic year per child (British School)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)  my winter electric bill was 90le and my gas bill was 12 le

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)  all minimal, my mobile is 60le and my internet is 50le and I stream A LOT

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant –  40le could buy a feast in many a good local restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink  - depends, costa coffee etc could be 30le whereas a little café could be 5le

> price for cinema tickets  - 20le (100le for the posh bit with leather recliners)

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!   

Thank you in advance for your participation.

U could find a rent less than 5000LE,and less for food if you cud opt out for more healrhy food.

Some foreigners are on high salaries dear....other like me are not....so they can afford this high rent ..me....maximum 1,500 LE a month

> accommodation prices
I lived in Maadi Degla, the rent was 4500EGP for a 2 bedroom flat. Now we live in a compound in Sheikh Zayed, it is 5000EGP for a 3 bedroom flat. 2-3 bedroom flat rentals are about 4000-6000 here.

> food prices (your monthly budget)
grocerie shopping is about 2000EGP for me and 2 kids per month - my hubby eats at his company + about 300EGP for bottled water per month

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
provided by my husbands company, but a checkup at a paediatrician where our insurance was not valid was 150EGP per kid

> education prices (if you need to pay)
KG1 in BHS international school was 18,000EGP, KG2 was 25,000EGP for a school-year, the uniform to start with was 800-1000EGP

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Not expensive, gas+electricity is max 100EGP per month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
telephone+internet 250EGP per month

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant
check otlob.com for prices, it is a good way to get an idea of prices
for the 4 of us (hubby, me, 2 kids) a usual restaurant dinner bill is about 300EGP, fast food bill is about 150EGP

> price for a coffee or a drink
40-50EGP for a coctail, 20-30 for a coffee in an average café
our café bill is usually 100-150EGP (coffee, coctail, 2 ice creams, shisha, water)

I eat very healthily thank you. I don't recall fresh salmon being on the unhealthy food to avoid List. I actually make from fresh everynight I just prefer to not buy from mahmal!

Ive rented for cheaper, I lived in squalor. I live in w secure and clean area which is heavily guarded.  I like to pay for this. 

The thread asked for feedback of expenditure,and I'm sure many new coming professionals may appreciate this information.

Thank you Tracy.  I live in Dokki and I would like to find a good restaurant(s) in the general area.  I am talking a litte up-scale - I know Gad and it is fine but not quite what I want.  There is the Gerion downtown but I don't really like it.  Deals on Zamalic and so on.  Any suggestions?  Larry

Hi there Larry.

As I do not live in Maadi, I am not sure what is there, but I know street No 9 has several good restaurants. There is a good Chinese restaurant there which I tried a few years back but cannot remember the name now,
Unfortunately, I do not tend to eat in the up scale restaurants as I don't have a high budget. There is a local chain called SPECTRA which are all over Cairo and very nice ( I think in Maadi also).

Zamalek has several good restaurants, but you would need to take a walk around there to find them.
You could also consider a mea in the revolving restaurant at Cairo Tower. I ate lunch there one time and thouroughly enjoyed it. Good quality and great views. You would have to check their website via google for any evening opening hours. Also, there are several Nile Cruise boats with restaurants which sail along the Nile with dinner and entertainment from Maadi.

Tracy

Oh Sorry,,,,you said you live in Dokki...not Maadi!! 
Well, there are many good restaurants close and in Dokki.
Depending in what cuisine you like, there are Egyptian. Lebanese, Syrian, International....all around Dokki and Mohandeseen which is just a short walk or Taxi from Dokki

Abu Shakra, Specra, and Cedars are all in Mohandeseen offering Egyptian, Lebanese and International

Tracy

Thank you.  I used to live on Zamalic so I have walked around there - there are a couple of places - I think one called the 28 club but it is a stake house so not for me.  I will look into the Mohandasine (sp) ideas. 
Thanks.

thank
:thanks:

As some posted before me the prices differ by where you go to what season it is so the electric in the summer running air conditioners was 300 but in the winter went down to 30 l.e
Coffee at a cafe on the street under 10,l.e but in a cafe in the mall up to 30 l.e
Transportation 15 l.e to 20,l.e for local trips
Produce is cheap processed foods are very pricy
I live in sheikh zayed
Fast food meal for 5 is 100 l.e
Nice restaurant for 5 300 l.e
Housing in this area is from 500 l.e and up we pay 2500 l.e for a 3 bedroom flat unfurnished

hello everybody, I am new comer lodged in a hotel and would like to rent a flat with 3 beds rooms in Maadi, especially close to any sports club. As I like playing badminton and swimming, if any friends need a badminton partner, I will be very glad to join your team.
Hope to hear any advise or information about these, thank you.

philipwang302 wrote:

hello everybody, I am new comer lodged in a hotel and would like to rent a flat with 3 beds rooms in Maadi, especially close to any sports club. As I like playing badminton and swimming, if any friends need a badminton partner, I will be very glad to join your team.

Please check out the housing section at the top of this page. You can also place a free ad there too.

stumpy wrote:
philipwang302 wrote:

Please check out the housing section at the top of this page. You can also place a free ad there too.

ok, thanks for your kind instruction.