Gee....Yogi didn't see this coming.

Yogi's been watching a new "construction" going up nearby. 
Small apartment block, about 8 levels.

They decide to put a nice little Colour Bond light weight construction "roof"   on the top , somewhere to hang the washing , a few plants and a hammock.     Looked nice.

Then....they decided to put 4 of those Sonha 1000 litre steel tanks on top of it. 

You don't need an engineering degree to figure out how that ended.😀

A lot of wet broken things?

This thread is just crying our for photos.

And on another site elsewhere in Vietnam a certain Company from Ch.... shhhh. Was drilling without having done due diligence  w regard to bombs from the American war.

Bang.

2 dead.

A hotel/apartment building  under construction beyond the legal 40 storey limit in Nha Trang has developed a unplanned for lean to one side. Construction stopped months ago. Who knows where the money has gone for all those apartments sold off the plan?

Hi Ralph,
Yep..that's the Moung Thanh project near the river bridge.   An architect here told me there was unacceptable "settling" on the western side when it was at level 20, but they kept going.

It's a debacle.  The top three levels 41 to 43 are dormant, and very little happening on the site.

I know two friends here who have paid about $70k so far.    The "authorities" want them to demolish the top three levels.  It's a standoff.     One of those "buyers" had an apartment on the 46th level.    He's shattered.   It was never supposed to go higher than 40.   

Another Buyer told me if she paid another $10k , she could move in.    Didn't happen either.

All enquires have been met with a grunt, a shrug of the shoulders and the hand waggle.  They were the lucky ones......since then , no ones returning calls or taking enquires.

Did you hear about the Bavico building "train wreck",,,,,,.  also the luxury villas  at Ahn Vien that were sold by a developer that didn't really own them....it just goes on & on.

The best one was a Canadian guy that built a house on the neighbors block.  Easy mistake I suppose with only 4 metre frontages.    He tried swapping blocks with the neighbour .....😀😀
Didn't happen either.   The  VN guy thought it was Christmas.

His surveyor must have been cross eyed.

TVB!  :)

What does TVB mean?

Yogi,

No, I don't know about the Bavico train wreck, nor the Anh Vien villas. Do write about them for me. Thanks.

I'm curious about these stories too. I was thinking of buying something in Nha Trang.

ralphnhatrang wrote:

Yogi,

No, I don't know about the Bavico train wreck, nor the Anh Vien villas. Do write about them for me. Thanks.

It's been reported in the papers as well. 
Bavico was never "officially" approved to be built.  It's sitting on land that was leased ,,, now the lease has expired.😳   This sort of nonsense is all too common in Vietnam.

The VIllas were mortgaged to the hilt by the developer.    He's sold them, buyers had no clue about the mortgages or any other encumbrances,,,so the bank can legally foreclose with vacant possession.   That's a problem with a lot of apartment blocks in Saigon also.   The banks want their money back.

Legal title searches here are a joke.   Lawyers & real estate agents I doubt carry professional indemnity insurance.   Seriously...I've met agents & "lawyers" here that don't even know mans been to the moon.

But hey everybody......it's cheap.   

You can buy a beach front Moung Thanh apartment here for LESS than $40k.   Just got to do the kitchen & bathroom fitout.  That's cheap here also.

A similar joint on the Sunshine Coast in Australia would be close to $300k for that size apartment.
You get what you pay for.

michaellieptourists wrote:

What does TVB mean?

TVB Stands for .... That's Vietnam, Baby!

I'll remember that 😉

Fred wrote:

Fred:  As far as I can see the only way to attach a photo is directly from another website by pasting in the URL.  Perhaps you could discuss this with the top level moderators so that people could attach .jpg and .pdf files.  If there is a way that i missed, let me know.

Thanks

The talking will continue, while the money keeps walking away from investors.

An article the other day in Saigon said that only 15 foreigners have bought a house in Saigon since the new laws were implemented, gee I wonder why.

Maybe Roger53 could enlighten us all in relation to property investment in Viet Nam.

Yes Colin that would be good.
Problem is he got banned from the forum.😆

Maybe we could launch a campaign to get Roger back.   Remember Monty Python.

Welease Wodger.......🤓

colinoscapee wrote:

An article the other day in Saigon said that only 15 foreigners have bought a house in Saigon since the new laws were implemented, gee I wonder why.

Maybe Roger53 could enlighten us all in relation to property investment in Viet Nam.

You may have misunderstood the article.  It was in regard to only 15 foreigners got the certificate of ownership thus far.  Many foreigners may have "bought" them but do they own them officially ".  I have my own opinion why it has been the case but then it may be off topic on this thread.

Yoda0807 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

You may have misunderstood the article.  It was in regard to only 15 foreigners got the certificate of ownership thus far.  Many foreigners may have "bought" them but do they own them officially ".  I have my own opinion why it has been the case but then it may be off topic on this thread.

I understood the article, the point being, if you don't have the pink and red book you own nothing. Many may have bought, but not legally, as it's only legal once you actually have the two books in question.

THIGV wrote:
Fred wrote:

Fred:  As far as I can see the only way to attach a photo is directly from another website by pasting in the URL.  Perhaps you could discuss this with the top level moderators so that people could attach .jpg and .pdf files.  If there is a way that i missed, let me know.

While waiting for expat.com to never provide image hosting:

1. Try Imgur, the image hosting company for reddit, they claim to keep your images accessible forever.

2. Click "New Post" - "Upload Images"

3. Drag or upload your pic, and wait for "Processing..." to finish

4. Trick! Right click on image, and do Copy Image Address,
   this will just copy the link to the picture, which is what you want.

5. In expat.com box, click the mountain icon and paste the link...

https://i.imgur.com/o7GggZu.jpg

Just testing out Imgur.com.

http://i.imgur.com/4U1mb4G.jpg

Tried Flikr too but this seemed easier.  No need to download an app.  I haven't figured out how to resize but I expect there is a way.

Thanks Gobot.

Im not 100% sure, but I think imgur in their user agreement do not allow hotlinking?

Yeah good question, I know they don't want you to use it for website structure like icons and backgrounds, but I thought the purpose of imgur was for illustrating posts.
Anyway there are other possibilities, google "free image hosting forever".

Photobucket was good.. until they asked you to bend over and pay 300+$ to use hotlink.

Wald0 wrote:

Photobucket was good.. until they asked you to bend over and pay 300+$ to use hotlink.

They asked me for $400 - I didn't drop my proverbial trousers for them.

imgBB then insert the link. Check it out!

Chris

Yogi007 wrote:

Hi Ralph,
Yep..that's the Moung Thanh project near the river bridge.   An architect here told me there was unacceptable "settling" on the western side when it was at level 20, but they kept going.

It's a debacle.  The top three levels 41 to 43 are dormant, and very little happening on the site.

I know two friends here who have paid about $70k so far.    The "authorities" want them to demolish the top three levels.  It's a standoff.     One of those "buyers" had an apartment on the 46th level.    He's shattered.   It was never supposed to go higher than 40.   

Another Buyer told me if she paid another $10k , she could move in.    Didn't happen either.

All enquires have been met with a grunt, a shrug of the shoulders and the hand waggle.  They were the lucky ones......since then , no ones returning calls or taking enquires.

Did you hear about the Bavico building "train wreck",,,,,,.  also the luxury villas  at Ahn Vien that were sold by a developer that didn't really own them....it just goes on & on.

The best one was a Canadian guy that built a house on the neighbors block.  Easy mistake I suppose with only 4 metre frontages.    He tried swapping blocks with the neighbour .....😀😀
Didn't happen either.   The  VN guy thought it was Christmas.

His surveyor must have been cross eyed.

"Moung Thanh project near the river bridge"

is that on the south side ? cheers

Fred wrote:
Wald0 wrote:

They asked me for $400 - I didn't drop my proverbial trousers for them.

I've never been asked for money :)

Panda7 #26 -
Q - that on the south side ?
A - Yes. The big, ugly, brown building.

ok thanks,

eodmatt wrote:

And on another site elsewhere in Vietnam a certain Company from Ch.... shhhh. Was drilling without having done due diligence  w regard to bombs from the American war.

Bang.

2 dead.

They were too cheap to hire a De-Mining company to survey the grounds first - simply a must in Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia.  Save a buck, then have spend thousands fixing it.