Food, Vegetables & Groceries

Hi,
I have just moved to Vietnam and am struggling here with food. The water here is laced with arsenic and heavy metals and labels/cold storage/expiry dates are a disaster.
1./ Are supermarket vegetables safe? or are laced with pesticides?
2./ Where can we get organic meat or at least meat kept at proper temperatures and of decent quality. The stories and some of the shops i saw churned my stomach.
3./ Which water company actually bottles in highlands and processes the water properly. Just because it's nestle doesnt mean anything, i would like to know if there are companies which came out ahead in testing for organochlorines etc.
4./ Milk - Is organic milk available .. or else is there fresh milk rather than the recombined milk i see everywhere.?

Thanks

They do sell an item used to sterilize vegetables. I wash all mine. If it is in s supermarket or the local market res assured it has pesticides. Organic here is very icy. The supermarkets do refrigerate their meats. And I buy all mine there. I have an 8 stage water purification system in the house that works great. Not sure what your referring to on the milk issue really. There are homogenized milks available from the like of Dalat dairies. Then there is the shelf life milk. I have had and seen raw milk, but sure would not recommend it. But eat tin the street and all this goes out the window anyway. Face it the food chain here is terrible with little or no controls. You would be shocked to see the kitchens of the average restaurant here. And the gov't does not infect the facilities or the employees. Happy eating!!!

Then you have everyone drooling about street food. Untouchable,

Untouchable..?   Great!!   ..all the more for us...

Although..?   ..the queues seem to be getting longer...    :nothappy:

To Saigon 2017

I cannot believe people go to an underdeveloped communist country and expect it to be like a normal democratic one like in America or Europe and complain about everything! So naive and ignorant!

Lived in Argentina, Brazil, Oman, Ukraine, India. The food is just goddamn dangerous here. Being in undeveloped country doesn't mean you drink heavy metals...and there are plenty of others who must have seen this before me and figured out solutions. That's what i was seeking, not an ostrich like approach to real issues.

A natural curiosity and a friendly open mind is all that is required
to fully experience any new culture/country.   Objectively.

Today, more than ever we live in a global village and the Internet
shortens the distance even more with less ignorance.

But I also notice for every 90 yr old I see, there is always an expat
turkey demanding excellence in all existence.  Today.

Be careful what you wish for: some things never change.

Brainwashing affects many more than the suicide bombers.

I just met a wonderful company who are planting an organic garden outside of Hanoi.  I will keep you posted as the veg grow :-)

The issue has nothing to do with not loving this culture.  It has everything to do with education regarding health hazards.  Its also not an issue just in Vietnam.  The US is doing a lousy job of protecting its citizens. 

This is a global issue and one that deserves a conversation - thanks for introducing it here!