Following fashion in Germany

Hi everyone,

Do you follow fashion trends in Germany? Every country and every culture has its own dress code. As far as you are concerned, have you changed the way you dress?

Can one easily find fashion boutiques in Germany? Are clothes expensive there? Or cheap?

What do Germans usually wear or like to wear the most?

Share your experience!

Priscilla

Not too much into fashion but I can say that even most women wear pants. 75% of pants worn are blue jeans and 20% are black. Jackets are 85% black and about 10% dark blue or dark brown. Want to blend in? Simple, just wear a pair of blue jeans and a black jacket.

I lived in London before I came  to Germany, So I guess my style would be Anglo-German.!

Hey

I do like & admire fashion for sure , but I didn't change my way of dress much except if I will be in a special place & special occasion

Michael

Well I have lived in Germany  for 16years and to me  it is plenty fashion boutiques some are very expensive but most are relatively cheap it depends on your style most. Germans are very conservative when it comes to style the most colors I see Germans wearing are grey , black and dark blues  everybody carry bags backpacks , briefcases  and big purses for women and Germans love labels cloths
Micheal Kor Tommy Hilfinger Polo also there are a lot of German designer cloths too !

From my point of view as an artist the Fashion is something what we can call a trend in shapes, lenght, kind of used fabrics, colors, patterns etc.  When we look back we can see fashion of 20s', 40s'. 50', 70' ...every period of time had (has) its own style and those trends were (are) advertised in TV, stage, press and photography and worn by big celebrieties.

Street fashion can be when people (mostly young) try to copy what they saw in media to look like their idols, but this style has admixture of being more comfortable to use and alowed to wear in school or an office. That is why for me what I see in Germany is not Fashion but rather I could call it "self-proclaimed style of a street", because it was not created by a designer but it was created by itself. It is simply comfortable style, easy to wear, good for everyday job and sport activities, dark colors in winter and more colorfull in summer. People do not think that they must look fashionable but rather they think if it is enough warm, easy to wash in washing maschines or is it made from natural materials. Trully speaking I do not see any difference between this style and style which I see in my country of origin Poland. It is the same, I see people in the bus and everyone waers black, gray, navy blue or olive green clothes and mostly pants. 

The difference is one. Especially in summer time many or most women in my country wear colorfull dresses, high heels or shorts or mini skirts and in many cases try to look feminine whatever they wear and in everyday life. Here in Germany I noticed almost 99,9 % of women prefer to wear pants (not elegant pants but simply jeans) and a kind of sporty blouse or a pulover. Shoes are rather flat or almost flat and no make up or make up is almost invisible, no jevelery and many women do not dye hair, especially after their 50s'. I do not say it is bad or good. But my fiance living here in Germany 32 years being a man complain that there are noone to look at because of that unisex "style". And I do not wonder, I know that men like to look at women and word "women" means looking feminine. I assume that most German women DO NOT like to look feminine, because it can be seen as a symbol of enslavement. They are rather emancipated here and prefer to be free and wear clothes for themselves, not to be admired by men.

I'm in no way a fashionista but one thing about German fashion that stands out the most to me is the emphasis placed on functionality and comfort. My time spent here has always been in cities so I've seen styles across the board but typically someone in their daily routine will wear bland colored clothing like greys, blacks and blues combined with none other than blue jeans and perhaps sneakers or leather shoes. The sometimes harsh weather can play a huge role in your selection of clothing. You'll gladly swap style for warmth and comfort.
In the summer you'll see many becoming a bit more adventurous with fashion but during the winter its all about functionality. This I find predominant even in the luxury brands. The styles remain plain but the quality is to the max. Moreover for those travelling on foot hopping between train and buses or perhaps on a bike the last thing you would want is to wear a light color only to have to deal with one stain after another while hustling and bustling thru your day.

No change in my fashion.

Business dress in Germany depends on the particular working environment. ... Men usually wear suits and ties and women wear formal skirt or trouser suits. Those working in the information technology and media sectors tend to wear more informal dress and male employees don't usually wear ties.

Navy4 wrote:

Business dress in Germany depends on the particular working environment. ... Men usually wear suits and ties and women wear formal skirt or trouser suits. Those working in the information technology and media sectors tend to wear more informal dress and male employees don't usually wear ties.

This is quite curious, as I have encountered the exact opposite in companies of the famous German "Mittelstand" (small and medium sized businesses):
At my last employer, when I came in suit and tie once, everybody asked me if I am going for a job interview somewhere that day (which was really the case - but I didn't get the job, possibly because I seemed too formal).
At my current employer, a colleague was (jokingly) scolded by our boss for wearing a tie - he said that didn't fit the company culture.
Everyone here feels more comfortable in jeans and T-shirt, and why should you not feel comfortable at work?

Germans are really conservative wearing mostly black or grey colors. The most majority of population who work have a classic style represented by suits, heels, shirts and skirts. Students, pupils and people who don't work have casual style. Speaking about expensive clothes and accessories Germans definitely don't like to boast around with their last purchased Chanel or Gucci bag. However, on the streets you can often see women in office style wearing the last released Chanel bag. I'm not sure if they buy replicas but nothing will give away of not being original. All in all, Germans aren't stuck on fashion and on expensive clothes, but be ready to see people dressed up on 10000 euros in case you understand something in brands.

You are definitely right that Germans usually avoid flashy colours or styles ("mostly black or grey") and that showing off riches is generally frowned upon ("don't like to boast around with their last purchased Chanel or Gucci bag").
Brand protection is good, so you won't easily find replicas.
Suit and tie (or the female equivalents in formality) are definitely out - except maybe at weddings and funerals.

Priscilla wrote:

What do Germans usually wear or like to wear the most?

Now, modern casual clothes are mostly worn but there is also a traditional folk costume called the dirndl.