Question about casual nudity in Germany

Ok I read about the FKK culture but having not grown up in Germany I have a few concerns.

I am an Irish expat, have worked in Munich for over three years. My girlfriend is from Malaysia, but she studied here so she's been here quite long. One thing that surprised me was that she occasionally hangs out in hot water thermal spas with her friends, sometimes her male friends. I was initially very uncomfortable with this. I went to one of these nude saunas once with her out of curiosity. Actually I was more suspicious than curious as I was worried that she could be flirting with male strangers while  letting them see her naked. However I was relieved that everybody minded their own business and never even talked to each other.

I am now moving to London. My girlfriend is following me back. In Munich she worked as a translator in a small tech company that has only 3 female employees. During her last month there they organized an outdoor farewell hiking trip for her. It was a small group about 6 guys and my girlfriend. After the hike the group had dinner at a mountain Brauhaus which had a sauna nearby. They invited her for an hour in the sauna and not wanting to seem impolite she joined them.

I was quite disturbed when she told me the next day. Seemed to me like a bunch of horny nerds just wanted a chance to see my girlfriend naked before she left Germany. My girlfriend said not to worry as she sometimes went to the sauna nude during her university days. However she said it was less awkward as she seldom met the guys she bumped into while at the sauna, they were mostly acquaintances she saw during classes.

She said not to worry as she was not going to meet them again anyway. However they do have her Facebook... And after the sauna trip, she worked 2 weeks before her last day at the office. I am terribly uncomfortable imagining her working and attending meetings and chatting with male team mates that have already seen her naked.

Is this normal in Germany? Should I be alarmed?

I think while there may be a cultural element to this, the issue more lies in whether or not you trust your girlfriend or not.  Either way, it seems like you're insecure and you should probably have a discussion with her and let her know you're uncomfortable with the situation.

When I lived in Germany, my landlord lived beneath me in a multi-level house.  More than once I knocked on her door to ask something, and she answered the door naked.  It was no big deal, nothing sexual was going on, though the first time it was quite a surprise to say the least.  She was engaged by the way, while I was still single...but again, it was no big deal.  We behaved like respecting adults towards each other.

I know it's not a direct comparison to your situation, but maybe it gives some perspective.  You can accept your situation and say nothing, or talk about it with her and handle your fears one way or the other.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

In Scandinavian countries, which have a strong sauna culture, public nudity is quite normal and nobody think much about it (which is quite natural: We were all born naked and until a few thousand years ago, mankind had no clothes).
In Germany, some people follow this approach, some others are more squeamish and avoid places of public nudity.
There are also regional differences: I am surprized you bring this up, although having lived in Munich, which is the most open city in Germany in this respect, with public nude bathing and sunbathing in inner city parks.
In any case, you should tolerate your girlfriend's wishes, as she probably does yours. You do not need to follow her if you feel uncomfortable in the nude.
If however, as Romaniac pointed out above, this is a matter of trust, then please treat it as such and don't talk of nudity!

Well yeah I know I am insecure in a way but I totally trust my girlfriend. She was totally forthcoming about it and never hid anything from me. I am no prude either, having gone to nude beaches with her all over Europe. It is just the context of the nudity that disturbed me. I find that for me, being nude in front of strangers is okay, being nude with your coworkers (opposite sex) seems too intimate.

I have asked some of my expat friends (men and women). The general consensus is that with the German culture, people don't mix business and pleasure... and that work relationships USUALLY don't extend outside the office. So it comes off a little weird to invite a female coworker to such an intimate outing.

Maybe they're wrong, so I thought I'd just get some opinions here from local German people.

It is not that I distrust my gf, I distrust her male coworkers (just an instinct), though I should give them the benefit of the doubt. I am concerned some of them may have ulterior motives... potential stalkers etc... you know what I mean.

Brennan82 wrote:

It is not that I distrust my gf, I distrust her male coworkers (just an instinct), though I should give them the benefit of the doubt. I am concerned some of them may have ulterior motives... potential stalkers etc... you know what I mean.

In my opinion, you don't have to trust her male-coworkers.  Who are you in a relationship with, the gf or the co-workers?  :) If you trust her, then trust her to make the right choices towards your relationship, including dealing with any unwelcome advances or inappropriate behavior of her co-workers......but it seems as if there has been no issue of that.  Show her the trust and respect that you would want her to show you.

On a side note...I routinely met my German co-workers outside the office for drinks, bbq's on the weekends, birthdays.  So it isn't unheard of to have some social contact outside the office in Germany.

Romaniac

Nudity has a long history in Germany, especially in the East. In the Sauna you can be naked, preferable by the users, or wear a towel. I cannot imagine that anything other than a relaxixing Sauna was enjoyed by all.