Speaking Arabic in Tunisia

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Arabic is essential for a successful integration in Tunisia. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Arabic? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Tunisia?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Tunisians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Everyone. I speak Arabic, it is my native language. I can help anyone with Tunisian language (French and Arabic).
Thanks

Perfectly fine, pleasure I like speaking the languages Arab french

To be perfectly honest, if you live outside a tourist area you must have some Arabic or French.  If you are in a village you can't communicate at all really.  Tunisians speak a dialect of Arabic mixed with French words.  I had some Arabic and French before I lived in Tunisia but actually found it was wiser to learn the dialect as quickly as I could.  I am still not totally fluent, after all it can take years as a foreigner to understand the nuances of the language, the humour etc.  I am lucky as I have had great home teachers to help me and explain most of the jokes in English to me.  I also watch Tunisian TV shows and that way I can pick up more and more of the language.

There are many schools in Tunisia that offer French and Tunisian Arabic and now I have seen on Amazon a book translating dialect into English.  I highly recommend a newbie get this publication.

You don't need to speak Arabic here because classical Arabic won't help you much. People understand classical Arabic, but not all of them can answer you in Arabic. In other words, you need to learn the dialect (needless if you live in big cities), and dialects don't require strict lessons. They come with direct communication, some good friends and practice!
Your daily integration will teach you what you need. You will learn random words at first (greetings, general expressions, etc.) after that, you will be able to formulate your own sentences. A couple of basic expressions is all what you need. Even if you don't speak Arabic at all, you can combine your native language (whatever it is) with some French/English words, and voilà! You speak Tunisian now! :p
You will find help wherever you go. Don't worry.

hey
welcome to Tunisia
you need to speack mostly frensh, specially if you are in one of the big or touristic cities (sousse, tunis, sfax, monastir ...) it is easier for you to learn (for the pronounciation)
and everyone uses it in the daily communication, even the old ppl
ps  there are many places to learn arabic , tunisian dialect, and frensh , but I highly recommend you get friends here, I assure you they re friendly and will take you anywhere with them, all you need is some sence of humour to win their hearts
good luck