Being scammed by a Tunisian man.

how can you tell and what can you do about it?  Can you get your money back that you have invested and/or how hard is it to hire a private investigator and do they do any good.  Thanks.

In what context are you referring to? I would advise you be very careful about any money you send to Tunisia.
Are you asking about a buisness or a friend or maybe a potential boy friend?

Over here, they say : "It's your own fault to have given the money first" (The authorities).
Am sorry for your experience : (

This is too true. THE authorities here are a joke. IF this is about a man whom you want to be in a relationship with than the fact that he asked for money is not good.

ANGULARMOMENTUM wrote:

This is too true. THE authorities here are a joke. IF this is about a man whom you want to be in a relationship with than the fact that he asked for money is not good.

Don't think so. This trick is well known coming from Africa, and I don't think our friend has been that stupid to fall in.
I would think that he promised her to do a kind of job or service.
Oh, by the way... Private investigators do not exist here. Too private and not enough investigators ha ha : )
Better laugh, and forget about that.
Be very careful next time. "The one who trick me once is a fool. The one who trick me twice: I AM the fool".

We can be scammed anywhere and everywhere....
Turn the page and move on
All what it was...is a learning experience.

I'm sorry if I came off as harsh in anyway. I didn't mean to imply that someone who falls for a scam is stupid.
I was referring to the fact that tunisian men are bound by their honor and culture to take care of themselves. IT is a serious red flag if a man is asking for money from his intended.
It's a different world here.

ANGULARMOMENTUM wrote:

I'm sorry if I came off as harsh in anyway. I didn't mean to imply that someone who falls for a scam is stupid.
I was referring to the fact that tunisian men are bound by their honor and culture to take care of themselves. IT is a serious red flag if a man is asking for money from his intended.
It's a different world here.

4 sure : ) wasn't saying that she was stupid as well, but was saying that: Who the hell, nowadays, could believe someone saying that he would be interested in a relationship and asking for money ?
With regards to the "Tunisian men Honor and Culture", ur a bit wrong as in most of  cases, they rely on Parents b4 mariage, or on foreign "beauties" to take them away from their "miserable" situation.
Rare are those who work hard to get their life being better, or those who are lucky enough to be born wealthy.
Anyway... It's just unfortunate and sad to take advantage of weak people like retired, women, lonely people and so on...
May the situation get better here cause it starts to be a disaster.

Dear god.. As I am arriving there in 10 days..
You r giving us a ton of hope
And faith in the Tunisian humanity...
(Sarcasm).

Ozitoun wrote:

Dear god.. As I am arriving there in 10 days..
You r giving us a ton of hope
And faith in the Tunisian humanity...
(Sarcasm).

Don't you worry : ) When u'll get stollen as well like many of us, u'll understand : )

.... Please God
Have mercy.. As I continue thru out my life to beleive in the goodness of people...

I'm married to a Tunisian man. I'm happy to report they aren't all scammers. I have a few fellow expats that are married to tunisian men and they are happy with their choices.
But be very careful, many horror stories have been passed my way and Ivery heard from the mouths of many that it is very common and sometimes even condoned.

My boy friend told me he had been approved for a tourist visa to the USA and needs money to prove he can support himself while he is visiting me.  I have asked him to take a picture of the ticket or passport, but have not received anything.  How difficult is it to get a tourist visa to the USA?  Thanks for all your help and advice so far.  I guess I have a soft heart.

It is allegedly said that visas (For US, or any other country) are not easily given, and that you have to bribe the authorities, which I am not likely to believe that nowadays. It was certainly true in the past, but I know that a certain number of rules have changed yet.
With regards to the money he's asking, or the administration is asking, in my opinion, it's better to send him a "statement on honor" saying that you are able to support him, which is better for you than sending money. However, it is 100% true that the Tunisian State does not let their citizens living the country without a good balance in the Bank account. That's the official rule indeed.
BUT... Bare in mind that you are neither his mom nor anyone else to financially assist him (That's my state of mind).
As one of the user, on this Topic, said :he's got to be a proper Man, and figure out how to take care of himself by his own means (That's the rule when you've got "Honor", and self esteem for yourself).
My advice : Forget any relationship that could be made within the Third World. This area is similar to the 4th dimension. Got it's own rules, and own specificities.
Moreover, and we still turning around and around, usualy, guys from here marry the foreigners to go and live abroad rather than asking for money. And then... We all know what happens....
Anyway, I advice not to send any money if it is not already done.

As far as I know if he wants to get a visa to visit tunisia he needs a sponsor. I also don't know if the Tunisian government even cares about his getting a visa it's all to do with the US government.

Post Scriptum in 2 points :
-No one "Normally constituted" involves himself into a sincere and honest relationship while being broke.
-My regretted father who was ILLITERATE, sold chickens in the 50's when it was the grinding poverty. He then saved money, went to Europe, worked as a fruit and vegetables seller, married my mom, bought a house, fed his family, bought a car, supported our studies, and ALL THAT, on his own and being illiterate. Think there's a HUGE difference, between Men of before, and lazy people of today.
Shame on those who like the"Easy bread".
Am done with this topic.
Good luck.

Worcester wrote:

My boy friend told me he had been approved for a tourist visa to the USA and needs money to prove he can support himself while he is visiting me.  I have asked him to take a picture of the ticket or passport, but have not received anything.  How difficult is it to get a tourist visa to the USA?  Thanks for all your help and advice so far.  I guess I have a soft heart.

It is impossible for a young, single, Tunisian male to get a visa to the USA............he will surely be rejected (even if you sponsor him) on the grounds of the high probability of overstay.  Don't send money, and don't believe him!!

I am flabbergasted ...
Why a Tunisian person cannt get a US visa?
That blows my mind...

An American who doesn't get it.

Do you have any documents proved that u own or you are sharing a business ? Payment bill Or any investment receipt ?
Atherwise I'm gonna feel sorry for u , without document you can't ask for your money back , and Tunisian law it's not really helpful in that case

Yes that's true , American embassy never ask for bank statement,  it's up to them to give it to denied as per the case,  it will be better if you take him legally to US ( you marry him in Tunisia)  the immigrant visa processes will take about a year

For Tunisia it's easier than for Algerian... make sure he is talking the truth... maybe you want to help him out by sending an invitation letter or so...
Trump said on the news Tunisian people is ok with him coming to America...... in fact I got in contact with a young guy who is here in the USA and he told me his tourists visa was approved with no problem... he is being here in America for 4 months already.
Another option is a fiancee VISA

@Tunisiandolly

is the same for uk, my friend whos 60 this years went to Tunisia last year and met a younger man there i don know all the details as shes very secretive about it. i beleive he works in a hotel. they met did what they did, then she went back last november on her own for a week  i hear small conversations she's having with him, but can only hear certain words now and then like rings,   passport etc. i maybe totally paranoid over nothing, but i know this woman has been looking for love for some time. she doe own her own home, she's a care worker so her wages aren't huge,  I'm just getting worried now, shes going back over there next month to see him again. the question im asking is how will he be able to get a passport or visa to come to the uk, do they have to get married, or prove they've been in a long term relationship. shes only known him since last sept, and only actually seen him for a week, so you cant class that as a long term relationship. can any one lighten me if you think he's using her for he's own gain in life as i said shes 60 this year, and a little gullible,  and i believe he's in his 30s.   

@hick70

Hello,

Please note that this is quite an old thread and most members are inactive on this thread.

I would suggest that you start a new topic on the Tunisia forum if you have any questions.

All the best

Bhavna

@hick70

I am a Canadian of Tunisian origin. What you described is indeed concerning. It's unfortunately common for young, uneducated Tunisians working in the hospitality industry to encounter older Western women with hopes of marrying and relocating to Europe or North America. After obtaining permanent residency, some may file for divorce and marry someone from their home country, bringing them to their new home. While there are honest young men, they are rare.

@hick70 tipycal 3rd world love for benefits haha!

F-ck them and DON'T trust them at all. They are selfish people who seek only their own interest and who deep down hate us because we do not follow their religion and eat pork 🐷