Can someone help?

Please can someone help What is Life like in Perth? Iam a joiner/carpenter my wife is an employment adviser.We are both 37. We have 3 wee girls aged 11,8 and 3 and we are keen to make the move to oz. Can someone tell us is Perth the place to start looking. Is it family friendly, what are the schools like? whats the fishing like? any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, where are you from?
I've been in Perth for 11 months. I am an expat as well.
Perth is a great city for raising kids, lots of beautiful parks, beaches and pools. People very friendly and open.I don't do fishing but I've heard that is great in here. People love outdoor activities and the traditional weekend BBQ is part of the Perth lifestyle. We are having now very hot weather, sometimes up to 40 degrees.Schools are excelent and most kids in Australia go to public schools. I have two kids going to public schools and they have been happy so far. School here is relaxed and friendly, kids feel great in this atmosphere.
Bad things: costs of living very high, no jobs for immigrants at this moment. I've been here for almost a year and I cannot find a job , I've been searching actively. I am an Accountant with 20 years experience. Not a single interview after almost 200 resumes sent. Good if you move but consider to bring a lot of money to support your family while you get a job. Many immigrants are working in supermarkets or as cleaners because no opportunities for us so far.
Hope this helps you a little and don't hesitate to contact me if you need something else.
Regards...

A carpenter may have a good opportunity here, there is a lot of building and growing in the city and around the area. You would prob be able to find work. I found work very quickly after arriving, and had no college degree, etc. starting out making pretty good money. Things are expensive though

I live in Broome WA.It is a Town build in Pearling and tourism, very child friendly. Do a search and check it out. Every time I fly down to Perth, i realize how lucky I am to live in a country town where there is a lot of work and a lot of building going on. Rental prices are high, however wages are good, my sugestion would be that wherever you go in WA, the rental prices are high, therefore, try and search for jobs beforehand. Someone of your trade can earn very good money.There is a lot of work here in Broome and if you like fishing...., This is the place!

good luck

Mario1021 wrote:

Hello, where are you from?
I've been in Perth for 11 months. I am an expat as well.
Perth is a great city for raising kids, lots of beautiful parks, beaches and pools. People very friendly and open.I don't do fishing but I've heard that is great in here. People love outdoor activities and the traditional weekend BBQ is part of the Perth lifestyle. We are having now very hot weather, sometimes up to 40 degrees.Schools are excelent and most kids in Australia go to public schools. I have two kids going to public schools and they have been happy so far. School here is relaxed and friendly, kids feel great in this atmosphere.
Bad things: costs of living very high, no jobs for immigrants at this moment. I've been here for almost a year and I cannot find a job , I've been searching actively. I am an Accountant with 20 years experience. Not a single interview after almost 200 resumes sent. Good if you move but consider to bring a lot of money to support your family while you get a job. Many immigrants are working in supermarkets or as cleaners because no opportunities for us so far.
Hope this helps you a little and don't hesitate to contact me if you need something else.
Regards...

Thanks mario1021 for reply we are from Dundee,Scotland. Hopefully you will find work soon, keep plugging away.

erinms123 wrote:

A carpenter may have a good opportunity here, there is a lot of building and growing in the city and around the area. You would prob be able to find work. I found work very quickly after arriving, and had no college degree, etc. starting out making pretty good money. Things are expensive though

Thanks for the reply erinms123 from what I have heard the cost of living does seem to be higher in Australia but the wages seem to be on average much better.

westandonparadise wrote:

I live in Broome WA.It is a Town build in Pearling and tourism, very child friendly. Do a search and check it out. Every time I fly down to Perth, i realize how lucky I am to live in a country town where there is a lot of work and a lot of building going on. Rental prices are high, however wages are good, my sugestion would be that wherever you go in WA, the rental prices are high, therefore, try and search for jobs beforehand. Someone of your trade can earn very good money.There is a lot of work here in Broome and if you like fishing...., This is the place!

good luck

Thanks for the reply westandonparadice. Sounds great and I do love my fishing

Hi I am origanally from South Africa. I have been here in Perth for 14 years and absoloutly love it. It's a great place to grow up. I am a financial adviser and don't believe it would be very hard for your wife to get a job. My experience tells me that tradesmen such as yourself are very successful in Perth. If you are seriously considering coming to Oz I would recommend that you come and visit and while you are here search for employment and then make your decision. If you are unable to find a job as a Carpenter I would suggest you also look into the mining industry as there are a number of jobs available. Whether you are driving a truck or building a house the money is great.

Dear GDowse

With 14 years in Perth you may be the wikipedia for fellow SA countrymen intending to relocate.Your blog is encouraging.

I am 48 and a family of four (wife and twin 22 year sons in university - one in final year, one in 2nd year)
I have received a permanent job offer in Perth (Construction Commercial Manager) on a long term business visa which has implications on the salary package iro tax, benefits etc.

I am seriously considering it but urging the co. for an PR visa.

Would you consult electronically for advice iro (tax, cost of living, tax rebates etc.for a reasonable fee.
I have a written job offer incl superannuation.
My concerns mainly revolve around the disposable income (take home pay)iro cost of living.

Regards
Durwesh 11