Pets in rentals

My family and I have been offered employment in Kuwait.  Before we can accept I was hoping to hear about how difficult it might be to find rental housing that would allow a large number of pets, or if you thought it was even going to be possible for us.  In our house we have 3 medium sized dogs, 2-cats, and 2-children (ages 1 and 4).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Bill

From my experience most rental agreements don't specifically say if the pets are allowed or not. Culturally, cats are tolerated way more than dogs. Bottom line is: if you are not sure ask the landlord, but finding a place that will accommodate you will not be impossible.

Thanks Ribosom, that's good news.

I also found a blog (desert girl on kuwait) and asked the blogger her opinion.  Her response, I thought, was super helpful.  Here's the shortened version:

The closest area to the airport is a newer area called Abdullah Mubarak. It is a residential area; no high rises.  I don't know how your family would feel being away from the hustle and bustle, but I have friends living there and it is quiet and safe.  The rents are also less expensive than other areas because people think it is "far" from the city.   Abdullah Mubarak isn't far from the largest mall in Kuwait (soon to be the largest mall in the Middle East), The Avenues.  There are kids activities, restaurants and many shops.  People go there to walk in the summer because it is too hot outside.

On the other side of the airport, the closest quality (westerner-standard) communities are South Surra and Mishref.  Again, residential areas, so you would be renting from home owners.  It is full of trees and surrounded by a very long/large walking track. The neighbors are upper class and people stop to say hello.

Villas (houses) are very expensive here.  I think the lowest I've seen them rent for lately is around 1,500 Kuwaiti Dinars per month (around $5,000).  You might be better off looking for a ground-floor apartment or floor in a villa with a garden or terrace.  You can also find good deals if you ask for basement apartments with a terrace (my friend found a SEVEN bedroom basement apartment with driver's apartment and terrace for 350 dinars/$1100 a month in Abdullah Mubarak) .  Kuwaitis typically think that basement apartments are not good, so they rent them for less.

Oh, and if you want to really take advantage of space: You can always rent a farm.  The farm area isn't far from the airport (but is very far from schools and services).  Normal farm rates for a decent place are around 600 KD/month in the Kabd/Hijen area.  It is definitely "off the grid" but I like it.

(It's worth mentioning that I told her I was going to be working near the airport)

She also recommended two realtors that I plan on getting in touch with shortly.  I posted her reply here in the hopes it would help someone in a similar situation in the future.  (She also answered a lot of questions I didn't ask about shopping, activities, and day to day life which I also found super helpful)

Thanks everyone.
-Bill

Yes, these are all sane advices. Thanks for passing the info and all the best!

Hello, it's not that hard once u choose the accomadition in an expats area that have more westerns than other nationalities.

Thanks guys, I'll say this is getting pretty exciting :)

Just a quick follow up question:  Does anyone live or know anyone who lives in the Kabd/Hijen area? 

If so I'd really like to know what the community is like out there, and how far the commute is to the airport?  I asked my contact within the company I work for, but he said all the employees live in the city.

Thanks again!
-Bill

Hey Bill,

I actually do know someone living there. I don't think that would a be good place for a family, you will be pretty isolated. On the other hand if that is what you are looking for...
Also, most places there are not really up to the living standard you might expect and I believe it would be hard to find one for rent.

ah, good to know!  Thanks :)