New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Currently Southwest Airlines has flights from LAX connecting through HOU to BZE for as low as $172 leaving and $240 returning depending on the dates. This includes two FREE checked bags per person.

The new Southwest Houston terminal is a breeze to navigate between the domestic arrivals and the 5 international gates, all within security going and an expedited path/baggage recheck on returning. I agree the MIA AA terminal  can be a headache and a long long way between gates. 

For just one month rental, I suggest using AirBNB or VRBO websites to find good rental prices/places for your high season visit. I have always been able to find good places for 2-6 week rentals anywhere i have been. For shorter duration rentals I prefer www.Booking.com.

Terrific,
Thank you for this flight information. I will check it out further.  I've heard that Belize city is "rough" so I'll take your advise and stay away.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Thank you Terrific for this info. I'm currently looking at flight plans mid-December into Jan 2018.  I've found the nonstop AA flight on Fridays, also found nonstop Delta flights on Saturdays. One issue seems to be that I can't plan a return to USA flight further out than 26 days in Belize. Is this a Belize visa issue or airlines?  I'd like to plan my trip from Dec 23 to Jan 28?

So Cal2 wrote:

Thank you Terrific for this info. I'm currently looking at flight plans mid-December into Jan 2018.  I've found the nonstop AA flight on Fridays, also found nonstop Delta flights on Saturdays. One issue seems to be that I can't plan a return to USA flight further out than 26 days in Belize. Is this a Belize visa issue or airlines?  I'd like to plan my trip from Dec 23 to Jan 28?

How far out you can book has nothing to do with Belize. For example Southwest has this note on their booking page. "We are currently accepting air reservations through March 7, 2018. On July 27, 2017 we will open our schedule for sale through April 6, 2018."

I have no idea how far out other airlines currently are accepting bookings.

Also without trying to sound snarky, Belize Government agencies simply do not have the resources to coordinate anything like that with anyone, they have problems just coordinating things between various internal agencies (or make no attempt). Heck,  keeping internal government websites current is a major challenge .

Don't think the Belize gov are likely to have much  affect airline  booking policies, might just be too early for January bookings. Having said that as you are planning over 30 days you will have to go to your nearest Immigration office on day 29 or 30 to renew your visa.,and hand over $25 us for the priviledge. If you don't you can actually be arrested,  and fined or Jailed. Can't say it happens often but has happened in the past. Usually punished because of deliberately trying to stay in country full time without documentation.

I am planning to drive myself with my 2 small dogs.  When are you planning to go and where are you coming from?  I am coming from the Dallas area and am looking for someone to buddy up with.

Carolyn Davis wrote:

I am planning to drive myself with my 2 small dogs.  When are you planning to go and where are you coming from?  I am coming from the Dallas area and am looking for someone to buddy up with.

There have been several threads/discussions on this site about driving through Mexico to Belize. i suggest you use the search feature (little magnifying glass at top right of screen) to locate them.

We are new to this and unsure how to use it. I would like to make an introduction but not sure if this is being seen on the blog.  :D

ChadandJo wrote:

We are new to this and unsure how to use it. I would like to make an introduction but not sure if this is being seen on the blog.  :D

Welcome to the Belize Forum Chadandjo.
Yes we see your post and will look forward to reading your introduction and getting to know you better here on the forum.

FYI, most questions that you might think to ask and some that you might not think to ask will have already been asked and answered in previous threads, so after your introduction, my first suggestion would be to review as many previous threads and/or use the search feature to ask specific questions by clicking on the magnifing glass at the top of the page. Keep in mind the age of the threads and then feel free to ask your questions or for clarifications here on the forum. There are several helpful folks that are always willing to share their experiences.

You might also check out some of the blogs found under the "Community" tab at the top of the page for some insights from folks that share their experiences of living here.

Good luck with your research. Let us know if we can help.

Thank you for your info

So many new people in the last week! Welcome, newbies! This as a mostly helpful forum filled with mostly helpful people 😂.
I always check google flights and mimodo, but I'm crazy about getting good deals.

Howdy from Texas!
I am Sharlyn828  I currently live in
Texas and planing on moving somewhere in central america (Panama, Costa Rica and Belize)  I am a widow on a tight income 2400.00   and can't get by in the good old USA.  I have been to Panama but I just not into the touristy stuff, and Costa Rica is not pulling me either.  I am hoping Belize is the right fit.
I am seeking out advice suggestions and comment on towns I need to see when I make a big trip next year to make my decision.  I am going to move me, my former medical (now retired also) dog Monty and clothes only.  My friend in Colorado will send me some of my small household goods so I will basically have nothing.  To give you and idea I want to be in or near an area that might have a beach (not top priority), jungle rivers, hiking trails, lots of flowers and animals.  I do not want to live in a big city or tiny village.  A condo would be nice to rent.
  I will need to be within an hour ride to a city or town that has doctors and dentist due to two health conditions (diabetes).  I am a quite person but I do enjoy meeting people and doing and trying new things.  My health does limit me on somethings.  So since I do not know too much about Belize yet, I welcome all suggestions positive and negative about Belize.  If internet is good I can still work from home.  I also need to know what kind of income will I need and will I be able to get satellite TV, internet and cell service there.  I am a simple person who wants a little more that the US can offer right now.
  I will keep researching and learning conversational Spanish.
Thanks a million.  I hope to meet some of you next year on my big trip

Sharlyn

Welcome, Sharlyn! You'll find loads of info by using the search function at the top, and feel free to ask questions on any thread you come across. Just pay attention to the dates as some info may be outdated. It sounds like you might want to check out Corozol, Hopkins, Placencia, and PG. San Ignacio is also nice but not on the beach.  All the services are here, and you could easily live here on that income. Of course, if you are wanting to live an extravagant life, that wouldn't be enough, but we live on way less as a family of 5.
Welcome! And let us know how your journey goes!

Hello,

I'm John, my wife Sarah and I are retiring in 3 yrs 8 months and 3 days. We are Cdns and planning to live in Belize most of the year, travel the rest.

We're here looking for info, opinions etc.

My burning question today is regarding non resident taxes on pension income..if anyone can answer questions, that would be great.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please and register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
jb88ci wrote:

Hello,

I'm John, my wife Sarah and I are retiring in 3 yrs 8 months and 3 days. We are Cdns and planning to live in Belize most of the year, travel the rest.

My burning question today is regarding non resident taxes on pension income..if anyone can answer questions, that would be great.

Hello from Belize John and Sarah and welcome to the Belize forum.
Regarding taxes on pension income, this is my experience. You do not pay taxes to the Belize Gov't on Canadian pension income. We do pay taxes to the Canadian gov't. We do not qualify to draw from our Canada pensions because we are not of age yet, but I do qualify, and do draw income from a Company pension. (that is at age 55).

They amount of withholding tax will be determined by what is called "substantial Ties" to Canada. This will be determined by what you own and the time spent in Canada each year, for example if you own property, have a business, and so on, you may be deemed a resident of Canada for tax purposes based on those ties and would file a normal return.

In our case we only have our bank account in Canada and as a result have been determined to not have enough "substantial ties" and are deemed "non-residents". The amount of withholding tax as residents prior to that determination was 10% on income from mutual funds and the like. Since the "non-resident" determination was made, and because Canada does not have a tax treaty with Belize the amount of tax withheld is now 25%. As non-residents we submit a non-resident tax return (due June 15 instead of April 30). The basic exemption remains the same and we receive a refund of the unused portion of withhoding tax. There are more forms that need to be filled out (schedule 1, as well as schedules A, B, and C).

If you have additional income in Belize (or outside of Canada) that is worked into the CRA formula and may result in a higher tax burden in Canada due to the fact you will hit the basic exemption limit sooner.

That is our experience, but it is important to note that taxation is based on individual circumstances taking into consideration (as I mentioned earlier), time spent in Canada each year, personal ties to Canada, amount of world income, etc.

Here is a link to the CRA website where you can find out how the determinations are made and how non-resident tax filing may affect your residency status. S5-F1-C1, Determining an Individual's Residence Status

Here is a link to the guide for filing as a non-resident if you are determined to be..
General Guide for Non-Residents - 2016 - General Information

Here is a link to the list or forms.  It might be interesting to download the forums and fill in some estimated numbers to determine how different scenarios will affect your personal tax burden.
2016 T1 General Returns, Forms and Schedules

Good luck with your research on Belize and let me know if I can be of further assisstance.

I hope this helps.

vividarch wrote:

Welcome to the Belize Forum vividarch. The public forum is to provide information to folks considering a move to Belize. Personal promotion, advertising of products and services, as well as the sharing of personal information is strictly prohibitted on the Belize Forum, as a result your post will be removed.

I would ask you to review the "Forum Code of Conduct" before making any more posts.

You may advertise in the "Classifieds" found under the "Handy Tools" Tab found at the top of the page.

jb88ci wrote:

Hello,

Belize does not tax foreigners on income from outside the country.

Hello,

My family and I (hubby, year old and a month old) are moving to Ladyville Belize in July of  2018. super excited, we want to start a bed & breakfast. Any information will be helpful

Any particular reason for  Ladyville?

Hi Everyone. I am Jennifer and my husband is Will. We are from the US (NY and Portland), but have just relocated to Belize from Ecuador. We lived in Ecuador for 4 years and now we are trying Belize.  I am an Computer Analyst by trade and my husband is an electrician, plumber and carpenter. We are looking forward to meeting more people and enjoying the adventure within Belize.

Welcome to you both! My family and I are in monkey River town. Hope you enjoy your adventures!

Hello everyone!
Myself and my boyfriend are looking at the possibility of moving from Toronto to Belize this November, as he has got a job offer for a 6 month contract beginning in November. He wants to drive from Toronto to Belize city as he has a van full of tools. I guess my question is, is that feasible? What is the situation with going through the USA and Mexico into Belize? Would it be better to hire a moving company and for him to buy a new work vehicle in Belize? Any help or tips would be appreciated!

Hi There.  I know that many people have driven that route. I had intended to drive and investigated many forums and found many that drove from Canada to here.  Some even on Motor cycles. I was warned that if I drive to drive 4x4 or vehicles like that by Toyota or Ford... no luxury makers etc. I was told to drive only during the day and rest during the night.

Welcome! If you use the search button on here, you will find lots of info on the drive from Canada to here and also on import duties. I haven't imported a vehicle, nor have I made the drive, but many have.
Do you know yet where you will be? Have fun!

Hi Heather,

It might be a good idea to get info from the BTB (Belize Tourism Board) to get answers since it will be a stay of only about 6 months. Contact Leannie at  1-800-624-0686 or [email protected]. She is very nice and can assist with your questions.

Good luck to you both,

Ray

My name is Tony Schina an IT professional looking to retire when I reach 65 a few years from now, but time to get serious research done.  I like to scuba dive & Velize seems to be a logical place to explore first.  I would want to rent versus buying, I have read that Corozal is a less crowded area to explore.  Can anyone give me names of places to stay there & what about transportation, golf carts, or is that just in Ambergris Caye.  I must admit travel to a foreign country as a single person is kind of intimidating without having locals that I could reach out for guidance.

Hi Tony,

My name is Ray. I understand your concerns, especially some of the things one finds on the internet. My wife and I are in the process of building a home in the Corozal District. You are correct that there are a large number of expats in that area. It's due to lower rainfall, lower cost of living, close to amenities in Chetumal, lower in crime, and less prone to hurricane issues. Also, Ambergis Caye is not attached to Belize.
I don't know when you are planning on the retire but, if you wish to rent there are serveral property owners who have rentals in the Cansejo Shores subdivision. It's a very nice development on Chetumal Bay just about 7 miles north of Corozal. You will find rentals starting at $650 and up depending on what your desires are. I hope this is helpful information. Anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Regards,
Ray

I will be retired and moving there the first of the year. Want to rent here but not finding anyone to rent long term to me because I have a 30 lb. dog . She is very friendly and well trained. Looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom. Any ideas?   Mari

Hello,

If you are interested in a bungalow on the water in Cansejo I have a friend who owns one and it will be available January 1, 2018 for long term rental.

Ray

Yes  please send me the information. Thank You mari

Hello Mari,

Do you have any idea on how long of term you are wishing to rent initially? I'd like to give the Porters an idea before I contact them.

Regards,
Ray

6 months to 1 year and if all is ok even longer. Will they accept my dog?

Hi Belize Expats, I am planning to relocate to Consejo next summer with my husband and dog. I'm hunting for rental property in that area and looking forward to joining the community. We are trying to figure out the best way to get from Texas to Belize. Ideally, we'd like to drive down or come via boat. Our dog is big and with average temperatures it's too risky to try to fly her down. I'm sure more questions will follow but right now The long drive through Mexico is my biggest concern.

TSCHINA wrote:

My name is Tony Schina an IT professional looking to retire when I reach 65 a few years from now, but time to get serious research done.  I like to scuba dive & Velize seems to be a logical place to explore first.  I would want to rent versus buying, I have read that Corozal is a less crowded area to explore.  Can anyone give me names of places to stay there & what about transportation, golf carts, or is that just in Ambergris Caye.  I must admit travel to a foreign country as a single person is kind of intimidating without having locals that I could reach out for guidance.

Hi Tony, we are in a similar boat. I just got back yesterday from 2 weeks exploring Belize with a focus on Corozal and Consejo in particular. I stayed at the Coral Cottages while in Corozal. It was a couple blocks off the water and an easy walk or bike ride to the bay, the market, town square, the banks, etc. But you'll likely want a rental car for ease of exploring. Other hotels or accommodations you might consider in Corozal is Tilt-Ta-Dock, these are bungalows on the bay. Tony's Inn and Almond Tree resort also looked nice. If you are planning to rent a car and want to go to Chetumal you need to make sure your rental company will allow you to drive in Mexico. Hertz doesn't allow it but I believe Crystal will as long as you buy the insurance needed to drive in Mexico.

My husband and I both dive as well and took the water taxi to San Pedro (2hr ride $25 USD cash only). We opted for the Tropic Air flight home which was 18 min $49 USD. I had heard on ScubaBoard that the diving off San Pedro wasn't great but we were pleasantly surprised. It was a short 10 min boat trip to the local dive sites and we dropped in on a group of 5 nurse sharks that stayed with us the entire dive. I'm pretty sure they were hoping for an easy meal of speared lion fish but we didn't have a spear. At one point we stopped in a sandy area to watch a stingray and one of the nurse sharks laid down next to us to wait.  :top:

We also dove out of Placencia on this trip. We went to Glovers Reef which is beautiful and fishy but it's a long boat ride from Placencia. even their local diving is a 45min boat ride and we've had more than one trip cancelled due to "weather or mechanical" that I suspect had more to do with not having enough divers to make the trip profitable.

KeriMeHome314 wrote:

Hi Belize Expats, I am planning to relocate to Consejo next summer with my husband and dog. I'm hunting for rental property in that area and looking forward to joining the community. We are trying to figure out the best way to get from Texas to Belize. Ideally, we'd like to drive down or come via boat. Our dog is big and with average temperatures it's too risky to try to fly her down. I'm sure more questions will follow but right now The long drive through Mexico is my biggest concern.

Hey! Welcome! I haven't made the drive, but loads of people have. If you use the search function, you'll find more info than you ever wanted! Best wishes for a smooth and easy transition! There's some wonderful people in this group, so don't be afraid to ask away.

Hola everyone!

I have recently moved to Belize to start working at Chan Chich Lodge in middle of no where as Manager. I am currently staying at the Lodge itself with my wife and a 4 year old daughter. May I please check about the schooling for her available nearby. my email is ***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you. I've found a lot of info on the site and certainly appreciate the links and tips. By the way is Monkey River Brew an indicator of craft brew? If so my hubby will be interested in chatting. I think he's trying to figure out if he can still home brew in Belize and what woods would be best for smoking brisket. His priorities are a bit different from mine  ;)

amitdixit21 wrote:

Hola everyone!

I have recently moved to Belize to start working at Chan Chich Lodge in middle of no where as Manager. I am currently staying at the Lodge itself with my wife and a 4 year old daughter. May I please check about the schooling for her available nearby. my email is ***

Welcome to Belize! This type of Lodge has been on my bucket list ever since I started visiting Belize about 10  years ago. I now own a home in Placencia, and spend about 6 months a year in Belize.

Two questions:
1. Over the years, I have often visited places just before, or just after the end of the season for that area, for lower rates.  So when does the coming high season END in your area, as our schedule is very flexible, so we would probably be able be able to spend a week there at the end of our winter visit 2017/2018?

2. Could you tell us about your experience in obtaining the work permit for working at  Chan Chich Lodge? 

Thanks.

Ooooh. Chan Chich! Nice! Sorry, I don't know about schools up there, but if you decide to homeschool, there are lots of us.

As far as brewing supplies, the short answer is yes! Home brew is very possible here. I'll message you.

Closed