New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

ann_eliese wrote:

Hi all!
I've been planning a move (slowly) for over a year now and am getting close to getting my final preparations in order. My main goal is to find somewhere to live (that's how I found this site). Looking forward to reading others experiences and learning, it's a huge leap! My plan is to semi-retire (I work remotely).

My biggest concern is making the move with my older cat, but we will figure it out. :)

After checking out a few places, I think somewhere near Placienda or Hopkins area is where I'm targeting. Safety is always a concern for me living alone.

I have never done the drive, always fly into BZE. From a personal safety standpoint of a single woman driving through Mexico, I would think the shipping of your vehicle packed with stuff would be a better option. Getting a customs broker that will handle all the pitfalls of shipping and dealing with importing your vehicle is a really good idea.

I do not know what the options for internet  are in Hopkins. Perhaps someone from that area can post some info on housing and internet options.

In Placencia where I have my 2nd home, you have three internet choices. I have tried the cable company, many folks use it fine. But my personal experience has been poor, with many outages and or intermittent very slow speeds. (max available is about 2meg). The government phone company has DSL that is reported by friends to be OK, but they want a BSD$500 deposit for non residents. Then the private cell phone company has a MiFi internet option that sounds good, I plan to try that soon.  You will find more info on all these subjects in previous post  on this site. Just be cautious relying too much on a prolific poster or two that only know what they glean from the internet while living outside of Belize.  :idontagree:

Hello Belize forum

I am planning on moving to Belize in 2 years when my kid runs away to collage. I know its a little early but I like to research all i can. Not sure where exactly where but it will be on the main land and probably somewhere close as possible to both water and jungle as I love to hunt and fish. 
Anyway, just saying hello and will ask my questions on appropriate forum.

Hi everyone  I am Walt and am thinking about moving overseas when i retire started picking out destinations Belize is on my short list and will be traveling there for a week in May any suggestions on what i should do in that short period of time and how do i get around ? is it easy to rent a car? definetly looking for a beach community help, where do i start?

secondof4 wrote:

Hi everyone  I am Walt and am thinking about moving overseas when i retire started picking out destinations Belize is on my short list and will be traveling there for a week in May any suggestions on what i should do in that short period of time and how do i get around ? is it easy to rent a car? definetly looking for a beach community help, where do i start?

secondof4;

Hi Walt,
Welcome to the Belize forum. You have already started by posting in the "Belize Forum". As a member since 2015 you will already know that the most common questions have probably been asked and answered in previous threads. Search the questions you have being mindful of the date of the post. Then give us your specific questions and we will do our best to answer based on our individual experiences.

Good luck with your research and please feel free to let us know how we can help.

Hello All,
I'm Rich.  Getting close to retirement and seriously considering Belize.  Spent  a good many summers there in the 70's with my Grand Parents. The had a restaurant/RV park in Corazol.  Don't remember a lot of detail just enough to tell me I want to go back. My Grand parent were Vernon and Tookie  Umbehagan, just in case anyone might recognize the names. I beleive their closest friends were Sandra and Raul he worked or owned a sugar cane plantation and they had three daughters.

Recent widower. Lost not only my wife but also my best friend.  I usually stop at the watering hole in our small town for a couple of beer. I try to reconnect with people and feelings but according to one daughter and her family I drink to much. LMFAO 2 beers in 2 hours. Just want to get away from all of the family bull s**t. Would greatly miss my grandchildren and great grandchildren but Grandpa needs a break.

I don't see how to post "Introduce Yourself". So I'll be back!

Hi! I'm Bruce and new here! I'm currently semi retired but will be fully retired in a couple of years. I am interested in spending the rest of my life on Belize. Any information about doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi! I'm Bruce. I am semi retired right now, but plan to be fully retired in a couple of years. I am considering moving to Belize to spend my twilight years enjoying the sun, sand  and the ocean.  I would like to get any info about retiring there. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lifeonthewater wrote:

Hi! I'm Bruce and new here! I'm currently semi retired but will be fully retired in a couple of years. I am interested in spending the rest of my life on Belize. Any information about doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Lifeonthewater;
Welcome to the Belize forum Bruce. You will find that the most common questions have probably already been asked and answered. Feel free to browse previous threads, or use the search feature to find replies to frequently asked questions, being mindful of course of the date of the post. You may even find answers to question you may not have thought to ask. Then give us your specific questions and we will do our best to answer based on our individual experiences.

Good luck with your research and please feel free to let us know how we can help.

Belize, like any country different than the U.S., is different in some ways. However, people with a positive, warm personality, that choose to be happy, will flourish anywhere.

Hello!

I'm considering moving to Belize.  So signed up to this forum and received the email which suggested I introduce myself.  So here I am. :)

I will read and explore all I can before making my final decision.  I want to be among the 50% who stay because they made the right decision and not among the other half who leave within a year (be nice to hear from both sides).

There seems to be a lot of information here to help.  I'm looking forward to exploring all the options. Thanks!

Regards,
Christine, Montreal, Canada

ChristineMuse wrote:

Hello!

I'm considering moving to Belize.  So signed up to this forum and received the email which suggested I introduce myself.  So here I am. :)

I will read and explore all I can before making my final decision.  I want to be among the 50% who stay because they made the right decision and not among the other half who leave within a year (be nice to hear from both sides).

There seems to be a lot of information here to help.  I'm looking forward to exploring all the options. Thanks!

Regards,
Christine, Montreal, Canada

Hello from Belize Christine;
Welcome to the Belize forum Christine. You will find that the most common questions have probably already been asked and answered. Browsing previous threads, or using the search feature to find replies to frequently asked questions, will provide you with several perspectives (be mindful of course of the date of the posts). More importantly you may even find answers to questions that you may not have thought to ask. Please feel free to ask your specific questions and we will do our best to answer based on our individual experiences.

You will find several perspectives on forums like this, and they are a great starting point. However, IMHO visiting for extended periods away from resort life and doing what I refer to as your "sandals in the sand" research will always be the best provider of the ultimate truth for you based on your comfort level and expectations.

Thank you Bill!

Welcome to the forum Christine. My wife and I are building a home in Belize. Many who leave may do so because Belize is not like their homeland. Belize is Belize. Relaxed pace of life, friendly people, beautiful country, no racial division, politics is not a religion, whining is not an art form, fresh air, and environmentally responsible. Those are few of the things I like about the country. Personally, I believe happiness is a choice. If you are happy by nature, you will most likely be happy anywhere. I hope you find your piece of paradise wherever you decide to live. Life is short but, not too short. :)

Thanks for the kind welcome Ray.  I like the way you describe Belize and even more so, your optimistic attitude.  Great approach to life.  Will do my due diligence in determining if life in Belize is for me.  So far I like what I've heard and read.

Kind regards,
Christine

Very well articulated Rayonthebay and a great attitude. Im also from Canada and planning to scout Belize soon. Im planning on retiring in 3 yrs.
Im very familiar with island and Carib lifestyle due to my background as a Pacific Islander.
I look forward to finding out more as we go. Good luck Christine. I also look foward to reading  the results of your research.

Hi there! My name is Heidi and I'm a new member here. I'm really happy that forums like this exist!!

I have been doing a lot of research on moving to the Caribbean and I keep coming back to Ambergris Caye as the best place. I have visited there once and didn't want to leave. I am looking for a slower life with summer all year. My concern is that I am a single woman with teenage daughters. Is it safe for us? Is there a problem with rape and/or human trafficking? I know that there isn't anywhere that is crime free, but I don't want to be nervous for our safety all of the time, especially for my daughters. I have read that there is mostly petty crime on Ambergris Caye and to stay out of certain parts of Belize, just like in the U.S., there are certain cities you don't want to go to. I'm good with that. But, I also read somewhere else that women shouldn't travel alone or with just another woman in Belize and that women shouldn't be out after dark by themselves either. (To be clear, I don't just go walking around alone at night in my current city either, but I do feel safe going to the store, out to eat or out for drinks by myself using my car.) If I'm nervous about getting from the airport to Ambergris Caye, and if we can only be out during the daytime,  it wouldn't be worth it.

Also, I can't find any info about procedures for my kids to attend high school there. Does anyone know anything about that? Are there very many teenagers on Ambergris Caye so my kids can make new friends?

Hello Heidi,

The particular article attached spells things out correctly. There is nowhere on earth that is "safe" if there are other humans around. That said, I have never felt uncomfortable in Belize, and we have met expat women who move around freely with their children in the Corozal District where we have property. Awareness is the key to safety no matter where one travels. If you have your head on a swivel, and look people directly in the eye, your chances of ever being victimized are reduced greatly.
As far as schools, there are the following on the caye....San Pedro High School, Ambergis Caye Elementary, Holy Cross Anglican School, Living Tree Academy, and Isla Bonita Elementary School to name a few. All are located at the southern area of the caye. I have provided a site with info, and you can scroll down to the section "national bodies" for contact info.
Respectfully,
Ray 

http://www.myvacationpages.com/travel-l … caye-safe/https://ambergriscaye.com/pages/edu/education.html

Hello all. We have been on and off on forums for several years. We are Kyle and Kelly and currently live in the Midwest U.S. Our plan is to retire in Belize in a few years. We own a few lots on North Ambergris Caye so we are always interested in any happenings there. We have heard lately that there is some development starting at Palm Bay Club and would love to chat with other owners in that subdivision. PLEASE feel free to chat with us about ALL THINGS BELIZE. Look forward to meeting everyone and have a Blessed Day!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Your link stated many of the same things I had read on crime in Belize for 2016. This is the article I read:

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRepor … ?cid=19620

Under Personnel-Background Concerns it states: "While Belize is generally a friendly and accommodating society, females should be particularly attentive to risks associated with being in public alone or in the company of only one other female. Sexual harassment and sexual assaults against women have occurred. "

That is what raised my concerns. However, if I read crime reports about my own state in the U.S., it seems scary too. Haha! I suppose it's somewhat difficult to research this kind of thing. I just want to have an idea of what I'm getting into without ignorance.

Hello Heidi,

Where do you hail from. My wife and I presently live in Florida but, are building in Belize.

Regards,
Ray

I'm from Utah....Looking to escape the snow! :)

Hello Heidijo,

I can understand the snow issue. Idaho is quite a beautiful state with its six magnificent tourist parks. Sunshine everyday does make one feel better.

Ray

Welcome, new friends!

HeidiJo, I live here with my family, and I regularly go out at night by myself or with my kids. I have a 15 yo daughter as well, and I don't feel unsafe. Belizean men tend to be much more forward. Compliments periodically border on catcalling, which I know really bothers some women, but it's very rarely anything more than noise. As in most other places, the unfortunate reality is that the burden of our safety falls on us. I love Belize absolutely and totally and will spend the rest of my days here, but it's still pretty misogynistic. Domestic violence is far too common, and men feel pretty entitled to talk to you about your body, but like I said, it's all pretty light hearted, and the reality is that, as a woman from the states, they're much quicker to back off. That's also a sad hangover of colonialism, but these are things I'm working on here. Every place has its issues.
ANYWAY! Welcome to the forum! Many questions can be answered by using the search bar. Also, I recently revamped the Belize section of the expat guides, so hopefully there's some helpful info in there.

Monkey Town Brew,

Thank you so much for your input. It really helps to understand straight from someone who is living it directly and especially since you have a 15 year old daughter as well. Your description is kind of the feeling I had but I wasn't fully sure, and of course you know, the safety of your children is #1 of importance. I am just getting all my ducks in a row.

Another question for you: Do you have to have any special visa or anything in particular for the kids to attend school there?

You're so welcome. I feel much safer with my kids here than I did in the us for sure. And I believe there is a cheaper visa for kids in school, but we homeschool, so I don't know much about it. Maybe try a search of immigration visa for school kids.

Hi, my name is Charlie. Me and my wife Tricia moved to Ambergris Caye on May 18th. We love the island and can't wait to meet all of you.

Dakobz wrote:

Hi, my name is Charlie. Me and my wife Tricia moved to Ambergris Caye on May 18th. We love the island and can't wait to meet all of you.

Welcome to Belize and to the Belize Forum Charlie and Tricia. I look forward to hearing about your experiences and to help out with any questions you might have. We too started out in San Pedro and then moved inland to the San Ignacio area in Cayo District.

My

My husband and I are moving there  hopefully this fall. I look forward to meeting everyone too!

Welcome to you both!

Homeschooling children is a big plus.

are you planning on working for Remax after you get settled?

Hello ....

My name is Tiago Lacerda, from Brazil,, also considering moving to Belize...  and will apply to QRP.. next 2 years...
Nice to meet all of you...

I am a businessman, I work as an investor in the financial market with investments in Stocks and Forex, working online only...

Unfortunately, few Brazilians in the "expat.com" foruns. :-)

If you can send me information about Belize, I thank you... Add me to contact.

Best Regards.

Tiago Lacerda

Welcome to both of you! You will find the answers to many questions by using the search function! If you can't find what you need to know, ask away! There are loads of helpful people here.

Julien. Thank you for the opening. I just signed up for Expat.com. My girlfriend and I, both retired engineers, are looking to spend December in Belize. I'm focusing on the area between Dangriga and Placentia for a 2 bdrm/2 ba house rental since it seems centrally located. We want to explore the country and provide a Christmas getaway spot for my girlfriends son coming from Berlin. He's a diving enthusiast and I like the ocean as well.

We want to become expats in Belize if it is right for us. Coming from southern Ca I'm sure it will be very different, which we can embrace. I've spent time in Mexico and have visited other Caribbean places but never Belize. I'll keep my ear to this website for the chatter I'm seeing now for the education.

Thanks for setting up this communication vehicle!

Hi, I'm Marin and I'm just starting to research what I need to get done in order to live in Belize; I am a Canadian.

I'm not a wealthy Canadian, and will only have a small savings to bring with me.  The plan (if it is possible) is to make it last long enough for me to get residency status.

Of course, there are also networking opportunities to find another source of income.

I'm glad to be here and I'm looking forward to constructing a plan that will make this dream a reality!

Marin,

If you are looking for fellow Canadians that can be trusted to give you honest, well informed information, add me to your contacts and I will give you their private info.

Ray

I introduced my self a couple days ago -So Cal2, - and I'm looking for the best flight plans from LA to Belize City. I'm not real excited about flying to Miami and from there to Belize. We're planning on spending Dec 2017 down there doing a country-wide checkout for possible relocation. Concurrently I'm looking for a month rental in/around Belize City,  Dangriga  to Pleasentia. We're planning on renting a car while there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

At the weekend AA has a non stop from LAX to Belize city leaves 1130ish arrives BZE around 6am good flight but sometimes late setting off. If I can I use this, About 8 times in the last year or so it has been running. The return flight leaves BZE about 7.30 arrives LAX around 12.30 midday. Flies Friday night and Saturday night. some months even does an extra night. I like that you get a full day when you get there and the early start return gets you back to Lax with a useable potion of the day left.

B T W I would not personally look for the rental in Belize city as any "short term" (less than 6 months) rentals not likely to be in the nice and safer areas.  Preferable would be Belmopan It  is central and has most major government and business services, good shopping, and good location for visiting most areas.

Closed