Your new local habits in Tunisia

Hello everyone,

Living in Tunisia is a great way to immerse in a new culture and lifestyle.

Have you embraced local customs since you've lived in Tunisia? If so, which one(s)?

Did local customs change the way you see things, appreciate life or organize your daily routines? As far as the language is concerned, did you learn new expressions or words and do you use them?

What do you like most about the lifestyle in your host country? Are there any local specificities you are still struggling with?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Living in Tunisia is a great way to immerse in a new culture and lifestyle.

Have you embraced local customs since you've lived in Tunisia? If so, which one(s)?

Did local customs change the way you see things, appreciate life or organize your daily routines? As far as the language is concerned, did you learn new expressions or words and do you use them?

What do you like most about the lifestyle in your host country? Are there any local specificities you are still struggling with?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Probably it is impossible to answer this in a short few paragraphs but I'll try.

I don't live in a tourist area so I have been forced to embrace all the local customs, however, I don't wear hijab or jibba (unless I'm in the house doing cleaning lol).  I do dress modestly but I don't suppress my outgoing personality or my laughter.  I think I'm pretty much 'Tunisian' now but I do miss modern conveniences, good transport, clean streets etc etc.  I was at one time a cross cultural trainer so I have struggled hard to keep my occidental culture as this is important to me. 

I certainly had to embrace the local dialect.  Whilst I had a little Arabic before I came here the local dialect does not resemble this in any way shape or form so instead of being frustrated by not being able to communicate I have listened to the local people, my family here and of course watching the local TV channels certainly helps.  My French is not bad and if I need to I can get by with that. 

Tunisians on the whole are not a logical race of people and before I arrived here I was in business, extremely organised and disciplined - well that's gone to the wind.  You know the saying - go with it because you can't change it, so that's what I've done.  If you invite someone for coffee, dinner, lunch etc then you can bank on them being late or perhaps not turning up at all.  Now, I'm used to it and I will call constantly until they arrive which is also the norm here. 

I could keep writing but it would become a novel and I would invite and welcome others who live here to share their stories.

Haha so true about the logic part. Being a veteran expat here newcomers often ask me for advice on how to adjust to the culture and customs here. My only advice is that if you want to live here in peace, you have to come to terms with the fact that nothing makes sense. If you try to find logic in things here, then you cannot survive.

Aqil - you are so right - I will admit that now it makes sense that nothing makes sense. 

How long have you lived here?

I've been living in Tunis for almost 6 years. What about you how long have you been in Tunisia?

I've been here for nearly 10 years and I am still 'tourist' lol