Adapting to the climate in Germany

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Germany is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Germany?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Germany?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Climate  has a great effect  on how people adjust to another country. Germany sadly does not have a lot of sunny weather ,also in the South there is generally more snow. However one acclimatizes with time. I prefer not having hot weather & using AC.

The climate I can adjust to.  Though I may whine about it rather often. 

The major importance for adjusting to Germaný is finding work to sustain oneself. 

I'm half way through the cash reserves I transfered into Germany to use while I look for work. 

I'm leaving for a visit to see family I haven't seen in almost two years.  In these next two weeks, if I don't

find some place to earn some (any amount of ) money, it would be pointless to return to Germany just

finish running out of money.  Any one on here know where a three times university graduate (2x's at

Graduate level), the latest Master's degree being in Business Administration, can look to get hired in

Western Germany? I am presently here studying engineering technology.

Hi Priscilla,

I have been living here for many years and still have climate problems. Particulary when the temperature drastically changes, then I have circulation problems. In the summer I am never without my Korodin drops in the pocket. The hotter it is the worse I find it. I have also found that it gets worse every year due to the climate change.
I have learned to cope with it and am still happy when it is warm weather.  I just need more sleep and hardly go out. Here in the East Germany where I am now living, I find it worse than in the Eifel area where I lived before.

Personally I hate the climate. I find it very challenging.

I really like Germany but my mental health suffers and so does the mental health of many people I know.
I am greatly affected by SAD so the dark days are not good! And the cold is very difficult.

Also- this doesn't seem to affect others as much as me- but I find the dry air in the coldest parts of the year very difficult to deal with. Especially when you are inside with radiators on and they dry the air even more so.

The climate is moderate in Germany. We are not above the article circle as one would suppose from MGBalive's post! There are less hours of daylight during winter but it is NOT dark all day. Sometimes it is below zero for some weeks or even months in winter but not usually. In Stuttgart we hardly see snow on the ground for at least 1 out of 3 winters. 2016 has been unusually rainy but there is a definite spring, summer and fall and some summer days can be very hot. A few decades ago, one usually needed a jacket or sweater late at night even on most summer nights. Those days are clearly gone.

The change in weather has greatly improved things in Germany, however the long term consequences might be elsewhere. A difficulty can be the really warm summer days if they last for continuous days because this didn't happen earlier and most buildings have no central air-conditioning. I bought a free standing air-conditioner for my apartment but rarely use it as it sucks energy. The most important thing on sunny hot days is to block the sun coming in your windows.

Many places have blinds or shutters. I have neither but sometimes put a silver sun protection intended for a car windshield outside the window and draw the curtains. I live in an old apartment house and maintaining the interior climate is important. If it gets really hot then one needs to open the windows in one's apartment and in the stairwell during the night and keep them closed during the day. This works like a cooler.

What one should NOT do is to have the doors and windows open during the day like a crazy guy always does in my apartment house. He claims it will let in the “fresh air”. But the stairwell might be 16 degrees centigrade in the morning and the air outside getting to over 30 degrees during the afternoon. Leaving the doors and/or windows open will mean the cool air escapes and it will become as hot inside as out. It shouldn't take a degree in physics to understand this but many people don't seem to get it. If it does get hot inside and one has no air-conditioner then get a couple of big fans or go to a pool or into the woods rather than hanging around in a hot apartment.